Battle Which is the lightest antivirus/security suite you used in last 6 months?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spirit

Level 2
Thread author
May 17, 2012
Which is the lightest antivirus/security suite you used in last 6 months?

You can vote to the product either you used only av or security suite like avast user can vote to avast "option" either he have avast free avast pro or avast IS.

You can mention it in your reply. ;)

P

Plexx

Littlebits does have a point regarding the product being heavy but I don't fully agree with comodo being heavy at all. Sure I do notice on boot up a bit of a slow down and I am yet to figure it out what was causing it while I was running CAV.

Most users automatically say ESET is heavy when it isn't for example since they see the astonishing 80mb ram usage on idle.

On the other hand, I did fiind OA, PF, AVG and Kaspersky a bit heavy for my taste. But then again that is just my opinion...

D

Deleted member 178

Biozfear said:
Sure I do notice on boot up a bit of a slow down and I am yet to figure it out what was causing it while I was running CAV.

Almost all AVs affect it. For me slow-down it is when my system make me wait around 1-2 sec for opening a window.

Spirit

Level 2
Thread author
May 17, 2012
umbrapolaris said:
NIS is not bad too,among the lightest paid ones, installed on my girlfriend laptop, using around 20-30mb

that is what we call true love,installed comodo IS which is free and not very reputable on own pc and norton which is dearer and cost more than $40 on girfriend's pc :p

malwarekiller said:
For me both comodo and avast are light on my system...i vote to avast...also want to vote comodo but cant do it :p
I haven't give option of multiple votes because it will mess the thing out.

I agree with Littlebits comments that using less ram does not mean its light on system.
Eset and mse use much more ram than avast norton but they are sure light than other

D

Deleted member 178

that is what we call true love,installed comodo IS which is free and not very reputable on own pc and norton which is dearer and cost more than $40 on girfriend's pc

yes :p she like light, quiet and efficient AV so NIS is good for that ^^

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011
Every suite or antivirus product will consume resources and slow down your PC. You'll probably notice it when you download a new executable file and the antivirus locks it and scans it, when you launch a program, etc. The security program attaches a module dll to every running process and that ads up to resource usage as well. But we use security to avoid catching a virus because malware will slow us down to a crawl, removing it will require more time. So it is a trade off. In the last mounts I used Kaspersky IS beta and RC, Bitdefender IS, Microsoft Security Essentials beta, Comodo Internet Security and avast Free Antivirus.
  • Bitdefender is a bit bloated in my opinion, the lag is noticeable and it remains there after using the suite for a couple of days, maybe they will improve resource usage in a future version.
  • KIS 2013 beta was slow as well but the RC was considerably lighter and after a couple of days it was even better. However in this version Kaspersky removed Safe Run for Applications and the Proactive Defense module. I still wouldn't call KIS 2013 a light suite.
  • CIS felt lighter than the previous two suites. Of course being a HIPS product you spend some time answering a few pop-ups and that might slow down your workflow, it depends on how you use your PC, if you install new software every day or if you are a gamer and need every bit of power from your PC you probably wouldn't use any Internet Suite.
  • MSE and avast! Free Antivirus are of course lighter than any of the above suites and I can't tell for sure if the system felt lighter with avast! but considering that avast! has more protection I would say that it is the lightest antivirus I've used in the past few mounts. Also MSE has considerable more ram usage and that might be noticeable on a PC with less RAM. I also do not use avast Mail and P2P protection or their reputation plugin.

Spirit

Level 2
Thread author
May 17, 2012
umbrapolaris said:
that is what we call true love,installed comodo IS which is free and not very reputable on own pc and norton which is dearer and cost more than $40 on girfriend's pc

yes :p she like light, quiet and efficient AV so NIS is good for that ^^

you can install avast free and make windows firewall on on her setup that will be enough because a girl pc can get infection even if it is with most solid security setup.
If she has paid for norton from her pocket you can install webroot secureanywhere complete which cost $80 along with nis
:p
bogdan said:
Every suite or antivirus product will consume resources and slow down your PC. You'll probably notice it when you download a new executable file and the antivirus locks it and scans it, when you launch a program, etc. The security program attaches a module dll to every running process and that ads up to resource usage as well. But we use security to avoid catching a virus because malware will slow us down to a crawl, removing it will require more time. So it is a trade off. In the last mounts I used Kaspersky IS beta and RC, Bitdefender IS, Microsoft Security Essentials beta, Comodo Internet Security and avast Free Antivirus.
  • Bitdefender is a bit bloated in my opinion, the lag is noticeable and it remains there after using the suite for a couple of days, maybe they will improve resource usage in a future version.
  • KIS 2013 beta was slow as well but the RC was considerably lighter and after a couple of days it was even better. However in this version Kaspersky removed Safe Run for Applications and the Proactive Defense module. I still wouldn't call KIS 2013 a light suite.
  • CIS felt lighter than the previous two suites. Of course being a HIPS product you spend some time answering a few pop-ups and that might slow down your workflow, it depends on how you use your PC, if you install new software every day or if you are a gamer and need every bit of power from your PC you probably wouldn't use any Internet Suite.
  • MSE and avast! Free Antivirus are of course lighter than any of the above suites and I can't tell for sure if the system felt lighter with avast! but considering that avast! has more protection I would say that it is the lightest antivirus I've used in the past few mounts. Also MSE has considerable more ram usage and that might be noticeable on a PC with less RAM. I also do not use avast Mail and P2P protection or their reputation plugin.

well explain bogdan

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
umbrapolaris said:
Biozfear said:
Sure I do notice on boot up a bit of a slow down and I am yet to figure it out what was causing it while I was running CAV.

Almost all AVs affect it. For me slow-down it is when my system make me wait around 1-2 sec for opening a window.

Yes almost all security software will slow down Windows boot especially if they do a rootkit scan at boot up. But what I was was talking about is system response time. For example, opening Windows Explorer with a lot of files inside, launching programs especially ones that use Java and Net Framework, running large programs like pc games or programs that use a lot of web connection traffic, playing video files, etc.
Full HIPS applications cause poor system response time when running these basic tasks.

I'm not talking about one individual system, I run a computer shop and currently have 6 new high performance running systems with and 12 older systems most running XP. I have tried Comodo and Online Armor on several and all have about the same results. You click and the system pauses a few seconds before anything is launched and then loads slow.

That is on a high performance system for example: Windows 7 64bit with AMD Phenom II X6 core 3100MHz and 16GB or RAM. So don't tell me that it is the CPU or RAM causing the problem. I would hate to see how it would run on a budget system which most users have.

Completely removed Comodo or Online Armor, then click and the applications load instantly and fast.

Thanks.:D

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011
Stranger said:
a girl pc can get infection even if it is with most solid security setup.
I guess we can say goodbye to any future female members on our forum :(

@Littlebits: We all have different tolerance levels to slowdowns.

Spirit

Level 2
Thread author
May 17, 2012
bogdan said:
Stranger said:

female are not interested in computer security but very aware in other security methods and in male its opposite :p

D

Deleted member 178

I optimize my system a lot, so maybe the slowdown you saw on "average system" is not happening on mine, my windows explorer opens instantly and my apps (office, etc..) launch quite normally. Surely without all my security layers it will go faster but the small gain of responsiveness will not be worthy enough.

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
My choice was Panda Cloud Antivirus. With 1 process under 2MB and absolutely no slow down felt on the system at all.

I've never had any other stand alone AV or suite come anywhere near as light as that.

(Yes 1 process, I double checked for a 2nd process or any other related Panda processors)

Thanks. :)

D

Deleted member 178

MrXidus said:
My choice was Panda Cloud Antivirus. With 1 process under 2MB and absolutely no slow down felt on the system at all.

I've never had any other stand alone AV or suite come anywhere near as light as that.

yes , i said it earlier

(Yes 1 process, I double checked for a 2nd process or any other related Panda processors)

so it seems that the second process was removed (something like PSUhost.exe )

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
bogdan said:
Stranger said:

Yes you are correct, some true blooded fanboys will continue to use a product even though it slows down their system. Their tolerance level is adapted to their favorite product. Some will even go as far to recommend it to others that have no tolerance for a product that slows down their system. They are so accustomed to using their favorite product that the slow downs are ignored. When you ask them they will claim their favorite product is light because they don't notice that it really is heavy.

D

Deleted member 178

Littlebits said:
Yes you are correct, some true blooded fanboys will continue to use a product even though it slows down their system. Their tolerance level is adapted to their favorite product.

I am sure that the most pureblood fanatic fanboys will uninstall his favorite product if it make his PC crawls

When you ask them they will claim their favorite product is light because they don't notice that it really is heavy.

What is for you a slowdown delay? can you give a scale with concrete example?

Maybe Process Lasso can give an hint since it monitor responsiveness.

bitbizket

Level 3
Jul 26, 2011
Littlebits said:
bogdan said:
Stranger said:

Yes you are correct, some true blooded fanboys will continue to use a product even though it slows down their system. Their tolerance level is adapted to their favorite product. Some will even go as far to recommend it to others that have no tolerance for a product that slows down their system. They are so accustomed to using their favorite product that the slow downs are ignored. When you ask them they will claim their favorite product is light because they don't notice that it really is heavy.

When doing a poll this will normally comes down to popularity. Have never try Norton for the last 6 months but it won't be much difference than the last time i've trial them so i guess it got to be among the lightest still.

Here's my top 5.
1. Avira
2. Eset
3. Avast
4. Webroot
5. Norton

As for HIPS it can cause slowdown but it depends on each individual system environment and how they are are configured and period of using without having a clean installed (especially with Comodo). The lightest HIPS probably is Privatefirewall, than we have to do another poll don't we LoL. :D

EDITED

1. Avira
2. Eset
3. Avast
4. Norton
5. AVG

Littlebits, lol just notice this, your's almost identical to mine. No kidding. :D

Spirit

Level 2
Thread author
May 17, 2012
malbky said:
Quickheal IS consumes around 15megs of memory. I use it along side SAS pro which uses another 10megs of memory.

Quick heal=
Grc firewall test failure
no application control
no sandboxie
no custom install

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.