Battle Which is the lightest antivirus/security suite you used in last 6 months?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spirit

Level 2
Thread author
May 17, 2012
Which is the lightest antivirus/security suite you used in last 6 months?

You can vote to the product either you used only av or security suite like avast user can vote to avast "option" either he have avast free avast pro or avast IS.

You can mention it in your reply. ;)

jota13

Level 2
Verified
Dec 18, 2011
On my both computers I use Avira (not free ;) )-on this computer more than half a year.

But on my Mom's laptop I installed free Avast and I use it since 2 month, because my mother isn't familiar with the use of computers.

P

Plexx

Thank god this poll is not which product has the best cleaning results and customization. I could imagine some names popping up

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
bitbizket said:
Littlebits said:
bogdan said:
Stranger said:
a girl pc can get infection even if it is with most solid security setup.
I guess we can say goodbye to any future female members on our forum :(

@Littlebits: We all have different tolerance levels to slowdowns.

Yes you are correct, some true blooded fanboys will continue to use a product even though it slows down their system. Their tolerance level is adapted to their favorite product. Some will even go as far to recommend it to others that have no tolerance for a product that slows down their system. They are so accustomed to using their favorite product that the slow downs are ignored. When you ask them they will claim their favorite product is light because they don't notice that it really is heavy.

Thanks.:D

When doing a poll this will normally comes down to popularity. Have never try Norton for the last 6 months but it won't be much difference than the last time i've trial them so i guess it got to be among the lightest still.

Here's my top 5.
1. Avira
2. Eset
3. Avast
4. Webroot
5. Norton

As for HIPS it can cause slowdown but it depends on each individual system environment and how they are are configured and period of using without having a clean installed (especially with Comodo). The lightest HIPS probably is Privatefirewall, than we have to do another poll don't we LoL. :D

EDITED

1. Avira
2. Eset
3. Avast
4. Norton
5. AVG

Littlebits, lol just notice this, your's almost identical to mine. No kidding. :D

Maybe the reason for the difference is I haven't tried the latest Webroot.
Some of you say Panda Cloud is light and it is very light but I don't consider it to be a FULL AV, it is an AV companion just light Immunet that's why I didn't include it in my list. Panda has their full own FULL AV which is a separate product.

D

Deleted member 178

Littlebits said:
Some of you say Panda Cloud is light and it is very light but I don't consider it to be a FULL AV, it is an AV companion just light Immunet that's why I didn't include it in my list. Panda has their full own FULL AV which is a separate product.

Are you sure that is a companion, i always read it as a full-blown AV, if it is the case, thanks a lot, i will test alongside my config :D

Edit: Effectively it is a companion (check on their support forum), thanks for the info.

Tobi

Jul 7, 2011
Littlebits said:
You may not consider it a FULL AV but it is and does not intend to move from that position. The product was developed to be a FULL AV like every traditional AV out there. Immunet and Webroot were designed to work as companions but Panda Cloud was not. Your information is simply your opinion and nothing more. Panda does not recommend running it alongside another AV, nor do they support it officially. IF you want then go ahead, just please do not recommend others to do so as well.

PAV Pro does in fact rely heavily on the cloud, which is one reason why it only updates once a day.

D

Deleted member 178

Check again the forum, some opposite answers, some said it is but not recommended some others says no...so in the doubt i will not use it as companion.

Tobi

Jul 7, 2011
umbrapolaris said:
Check again the forum, some opposite answers, some said it is but not recommended some others says no...so in the doubt i will not use it as companion.
Yeah, on the forum we tell them it is not recommended.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Tobi said:
umbrapolaris said:
Yeah, on the forum we tell them it is not recommended.

For the longest it was advertised on their homepage to work with your current AV. It even had a Antivirus compatible chart. I see that it has been removed from their homepage now. I guess they now feel confident enough to list it as a full AV. I see a lot of mixed answers on their forums about whether it should or should not be used with another AV.

One of the things I like the most about Panda Cloud was it would work with your current AV, now it is not clear if it still is recommended.

I don't believe cloud protection is enough for full AV protection, Panda Cloud is the very best in cloud AV computing, it is far ahead of others but still don't think it is enough. As far as I'm concerned Panda Cloud is an excellent product but I wouldn't feel comfortable using it as a stand-alone AV. Hopefully it still will work with your current AV setup. I know many users do use it with Avast, Comodo, AVG and Avira without any problems reported.

Tobi

Jul 7, 2011
Littlebits said:
For the longest it was advertised on their homepage to work with your current AV. It even had a Antivirus compatible chart. I see that it has been removed from their homepage now. I guess they now feel confident enough to list it as a full AV. I see a lot of mixed answers on their forums about whether it should or should not be used with another AV.
Yeah that was back in its earliest days and I recall pbust saying they changed their mind. I guess that means you haven't visited their website in a long time? :D

The mixed answers you see on the forum could be from the few users that were doing this and recommending it to others. Such as nsm, who was causing alot of trouble there. Anyways, we tell them that we don't recommend it but its their choice of course.

Again, Panda AV does the same thing! The cloud is its main weapon and relies heavily on it.

mikey

Nov 29, 2011
I remember a time when I could vote in this kind of poll. I can't legitimately vote now because there is no selection for 'NONE'. However, 'none' is quite lightweight and might be considered 'other'.

Nothing initiates on our systems without admin knowledge and approval. So we don't rely on bloated, crippling, and reactive signature scanners anymore.

That's not necessarily a recommendation. It's more of a statement on current affairs.

-

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011
MrXidus said:
Yes 1 process, I double checked for a 2nd process or any other related Panda processors

No PSANHost.exe?
Depending on install options there might be processes related to the url blocking as well.

D

Deleted member 178

bogdan said:
No PSANHost.exe?
Depending on install options there might be processes related to the url blocking as well.

yes i asked the same, i then install both version to check , PSANHost is only present for v1.5.2 and lower.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
There are 4 processes in Panda Cloud 1.9.2 BETA, and it wasn't possible to run both AVs without MS disabling WD (in Windows 8).

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.