Advice Request Which of these Web Browsers do you use?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Logethica

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Brave, the ad-blocking browser from former Mozilla CEO, grabs $4.5 million:
SOURCE: techcrunch.com (ARTICLE DATE: AUG 1st 2016)

Brave Software, the new web browser company co-founded by former Mozilla CEO Brendan Eich, has raised $4.5 million in seed funding for the continued development of its open source browser that blocks online ads and other trackers. Unlike traditional web browsers where ad-blocking takes place via a third-party add-on or extension, Brave’s browser has this technology built in, claiming not only to offer users more privacy, but also increased speed and performance – especially when surfing the mobile web.

According to metrics shared by Brave, the desktop version of the browser offers a 40 to 60 percent speed increase, and a 2x to 4x speed increase on mobile devices. Because of its ad-blocking and script-blocking features, mobile users will also see less battery consumption and data usage.

The browser offers a variety of security and safety features, as well, including support for encrypted data traffic via HTTPS Everywhere, fingerprinting shields, phishing protection, malware filtering and the above-mentioned script blocking.
The Brave browser is planning its 1.0 release for September

Read the full article at the link at the top of the page

MT members:
Are you Interested in using "Brave"?
Which of the Web Browsers listed in the poll do you use?..and do you use some that are not listed?
..and why Is your favourite browser your favourite browser?
What do you look for most in a browser?...Speed?/ Security?/ Extensions?/ Privacy?

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
I was using Firefox for a long time. Changed to Google Chrome and Comodo Dragon (Chrome based). Maybe the new Firefox will capture an edge (No pun intended o_O) and bring me back, but I always liked the single process character and runtime manageability of Firefox. So it wasn't that I like Chrome so much as Mozilla changing their browser formula for Firefox that led me to Chrome/based. I used Opera for about 5 years up until 12.

I like Vivaldi which appears to me to be based on Opera 12, and I would love to see a brand new version of Netscape. If they went back and pulled some of the creativity and the vision that was in the Netscape browser, it could only be great. Recalling the days of the Netscape ISP service and still attempting to understand what happened. Bring back the magic! :D

Kubla

Level 8
Verified
Jan 22, 2017
My dream in next gen browser is modern and clean UI browser which has built in (not from extension) VPN and Ad blocking capability. :)

There is such a browser it is called Cocoon Online Privacy & Security Software | Cocoon

However it is kind of a mystery in that I have yet to see any hands on reviews, youtube reviews etc... or come across anyone that actually uses it.

As such I would exercise caution before trying it and if one were to try it I would only do so in a sandbox just to err on the side of caution.

Kubla

Level 8
Verified
Jan 22, 2017
There is such a browser it is called Cocoon Online Privacy & Security Software | Cocoon

However it is kind of a mystery in that I have yet to see any hands on reviews, youtube reviews etc... or come across anyone that actually uses it.

As such I would exercise caution before trying it and if one were to try it I would only do so in a sandbox just to err on the side of caution.

Nevermind it appears this browser is is a just custom 32bit version of FireFox 38.4.0 that has an integrated Proxy service, ad blocker, and antivirus.

Attachments

• Cocoon1.jpg
    Cocoon1.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 331
  • Cocoon2.jpg
    Cocoon2.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 330
  • Cocoon4.jpg
    Cocoon4.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 345

Cohen

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
May 22, 2016
For the past few months I've been using Nightly, and I've enjoyed it. For me, Nightly is currently much faster than the stable channel of Firefox.
The different channels of Firefox explained:
  • Nightly - Under heavy development. Least stable/secure. First tests of new changes/features; some changes/features introduced in Nightly may be removed before Release and other versions. Only for testing. Should only be used by very experienced users/testers.
  • Aurora - Still under development. More stable/secure than Nightly. Some bugs may still be present that need resolution. Should be used by experienced users only who can post/report reproducible problems and work around issues.
  • Beta - Final development stage before Release. Usually good stability/security. Major bugs resolved. Working out final bugs. Preview of what Release version will most likely contain in the way of changes/features, though some changes/features can still disappear before Release.
  • Release - Final channel released to public for everyday use.

Oxygen

Level 44
Verified
Feb 23, 2014
I'm using it on a PTC site. It the only browser that disables the site's timer. I also have Sea Monkey and Firefox

Fair enough if you're using it specifically for the purpose of disabling a timer for a PTC site.

As for the claims that it tackles "privacy" issues is nothing you can't do yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.