Advice Request Which Password Managers do you use?

• Thread starter ForgottenSeer 55474
  • Start date

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
My thumbdrive are in key-pad form. So I need to press the correct no.
Well no. against a combination of no./words./symbols.
Choice is easy for me.

.ods pw are in simple form. I dont need a 12-20 character pw in combination of words/no./symbols. Which is why most of my online logins are at least 15 character pw, differ on every login account i own, which is a hassle for me.
Use something easier you can remember for lastpass and use 2 step authentication. Let's say someone cracks the 6 character password you use good luck bypassing 2 step authentication.

Anw each to it's own. Just remember thumb drives die unexpectedly.

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
Use something easier you can remember for lastpass and use 2 step authentication. Let's say someone cracks the 6 character password you use good luck bypassing 2 step authentication.

Anw each to it's own. Just remember thumb drives die unexpectedly.

That's why I have backdoor. :D

Every PW storage method has it's on merit and flaws.

So far I've tried KeePass, Sticky and LastPass. By far LastPass is the most appealing to me. Too bad that it will lock me down then I cant remember the master PW. :p

BillR5

Level 1
Nov 2, 2015
Primarily LastPass this year, though I periodically repopulate KeePass on Dropbox. I also have Abine's Blur, Dashlane, LogMeOnce, and a few others that I have allowed to languished so much I can't evaluate them now.

Dashlane is still a little nicer than LP$ (v4) but expensive (guess they have to pay for those TV ads). If I were to pay that much ($40) I'd probably choose LogMeOnce Ultimate edition for it's Single Log-Off, picture login+one time password, optional password db in cloud, etc. It is definitely more intrusive and SSO oriented, but LP and Dashlane are incorporating ever more SSO features, too, as they add more business features. I do have a little more concern about LMO's (somewhat optional) cloud environment than LP's or Dashlane's but I haven't researched this yet.

For LP$ versus LMO Pro (both ~$12), definitely LP for me due to missing/reduced features in LMO. I could see some choosing otherwise.

Also, if you can live with the LMO Premium (free despite edition name) limitations (no app notes, 5 secure notes, 5 shared app passwords, LMO ads, possibly $10/1000 SMS in US depending on 2FA approach, etc.), then LMO Premium is definitely worth investigating as it supports phone _and_ PC (v. LP's phone _or_ PC; and v Dashlane's don't-bother-unless-grandfathered).

Blur's manager is adequate but fairly basic by comparison to these. You're really buying Blur for other features.

KeePass is really a different type of manager with a completely different set of advantages, (many) disadvantages, and trade-offs (e.g., Is cloud sync good or bad?). I can best describe KeePass by analogy: it's Linux from before Mint or Ubuntu. You are also probably responsible for more than you realize.

Finally, I tried using a slightly modified version of Steve Gibson/GRC's Perfect Paper Password approach based on Latin Squares. Conceptually I liked it (especially with extra mental "pepper") but it was too clumsy in practice for my purpose. There is an AutoIt implementation (another slight modification of method) of a password generator (and manager in some limited senses) that makes computation a bit easier.

Last edited:

DardiM

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
May 14, 2016
I use RoboForm Desktop version (Not Everywhere version) => I want a local database (on an Bitlocked partition) :)
(I never use the PW manager from Kaspersky - Be using RoboForm before, so after some tests, I choose to keep with RF)

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.