Advice Request Which Password Managers do you use?

• Thread starter ForgottenSeer 55474
  • Start date

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
I use LastPass and couldn't go without it. :)
For Windows it does not get any more secure than TrueKey, I don't have this option for Elementary OS
so I resorted back to LastPass. I agree Cohen, LastPass is a good option.
I like TrueKey because your PW database is encrypted and saved locally, I don't think for a community
like this I need to explain the benefits of that practice.
But when TrueKey is not an option I will use LastPass. Thanks bro :)

Cohen

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
May 22, 2016
For Windows it does not get any more secure than TrueKey, I don't have this option for Elementary OS
I like TrueKey because your PW database is encrypted and saved locally, I don't think for a community
I haven't tried it out too much, but LastPass Pocket is a portable version of LastPass that is stored locally. :)
I might give it a go myself. :p

askmark

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 31, 2016
So @_CyberGhosT_ with Truekey you don't have access to your passwords unless you're on your local PC?

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015

BillR5

Level 1
Nov 2, 2015
"Perfect Paper Passwords" should have been "Off the Grid" in the last paragraph. I found the paper only approach (except for generating a randomish Latin Square) I took cumbersome and perhaps insecure given the ubiquity of cell phone cameras. The AutoIt implementation is actually pretty useful if you usually use only your own Windows device to access any accounts and do your own cut and paste. I haven't tried any of the other implementations (e.g., apps in stores).

Primarily LastPass this year, though I periodically repopulate KeePass on Dropbox. I also have Abine's Blur, Dashlane, LogMeOnce, and a few others that I have allowed to languished so much I can't evaluate them now.

Dashlane is still a little nicer than LP$ (v4) but expensive (guess they have to pay for those TV ads). If I were to pay that much ($40) I'd probably choose LogMeOnce Ultimate edition for it's Single Log-Off, picture login+one time password, optional password db in cloud, etc. It is definitely more intrusive and SSO oriented, but LP and Dashlane are incorporating ever more SSO features, too, as they add more business features. I do have a little more concern about LMO's (somewhat optional) cloud environment than LP's or Dashlane's but I haven't researched this yet.

For LP$ versus LMO Pro (both ~$12), definitely LP for me due to missing/reduced features in LMO. I could see some choosing otherwise.

Also, if you can live with the LMO Premium (free despite edition name) limitations (no app notes, 5 secure notes, 5 shared app passwords, LMO ads, possibly $10/1000 SMS in US depending on 2FA approach, etc.), then LMO Premium is definitely worth investigating as it supports phone _and_ PC (v. LP's phone _or_ PC; and v Dashlane's don't-bother-unless-grandfathered).

Blur's manager is adequate but fairly basic by comparison to these. You're really buying Blur for other features.

KeePass is really a different type of manager with a completely different set of advantages, (many) disadvantages, and trade-offs (e.g., Is cloud sync good or bad?). I can best describe KeePass by analogy: it's Linux from before Mint or Ubuntu. You are also probably responsible for more than you realize.

Finally, I tried using a slightly modified version of Steve Gibson/GRC's Perfect Paper Password approach based on Latin Squares. Conceptually I liked it (especially with extra mental "pepper") but it was too clumsy in practice for my purpose. There is an AutoIt implementation (another slight modification of method) of a password generator (and manager in some limited senses) that makes computation a bit easier.
Correction: Perfect Paper Password ---> Off The Grid

Reactions: Solarlynx

LASER_oneXM

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
nice news @frog.... :) Yes: syncing passwords with mobile devices was only available for premium users. I'm quite happy with this decission from LastPass.... A quote from the article above (see POST #57):

Closing Words
The move will make LastPass more attractive to users, especially those that require a password management solution on desktop and mobile devices but don't want to pay for it.
It will be interesting to see if the decision affects the number of premium subscribers of LastPass.

While Premium users get other options, e.g. more multifactor authentication options, shared folders, and desktop application passwords, it seems likely that unlimited synchronization of passwords and data was one if not the main feature for the majority.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.