Advice Request Which Uninstaller Software do you use?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Which Uninstaller Software do you use?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
@AtlBo I have used CPM before and liked it a lot. However, I did find that at times it was causing very noticable slowdowns due to CPMPopulateDBTool. I did not know that this process actually not needed.

I've just installed CPM again and deleted the populate tool. You need to set the nistaller to run in Windows 7 compatability mode to install on Windows 10, otherwise CPM will reuse to install because it is an unsupported OS. The install for CPM contains no extras anymore.

However, the version on Comodo's webiste is 1.3. There is a Russian portable version 1.4, but I could not find an official release.

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
OK thanks. I think I am stuck with 1.2, since I have built up the database with recorded programs. I worry that upgrading would break the functionality of the program. CPM is the first program I install on a new PC or on a new installation, since it is a recorder.

I tried CPM on Windows 10 but it wasn't recording installations for me now that you remind me. Actually, that's one of the reasons I am still on Windows 7, along with some other apps I play with. I wonder if extracting the CPM installer from the .exe bundle download (including GeekBuddy) would allow for installing in Windows 10 directly rather than W7 mode. This may enable the database recording of installations to occur. Without that, I guess CPM is completely useless now that I think of it.

Thanks very much for reminding me about this issue. I had completely forgotten about it until you mentioned Windows 10. Please let me know if it is recording installations for you. I did install in W7 compatibility but on 2 PCs it wouldn't work for me :(.

EDIT: Yes, 1.3 is the most recent, but I do recall a version 1.4 at one time. I think there is information that can be found on the Comodo boards someplace about 1.4. CPM has a kind of a mysterious history for such a straightforward app...

Last edited:

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
CPM works fine under Windows 10, and does silently monitor installations. However, to get it to run properly under Windows 10, you need to set all of the exe files in the CPM folder in Program Files, to run with Windows 7 compatibility.

The easiest way to do this is to make a batch file with the following command:
for %%x in ("*.exe") do reg.exe Add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers" /v "%%~fx" /d "~ WIN7RTM"

This needs to be done in a batch file, as it won't work if it is entered directly into a command window.

I just installed CPM, and had a few issues getting it to run. I'm guessing this was because it was not cleanly uninstalled last time I ran it under Windows 10. However, I have managed to get it working again now, and I just installed two PUPs I had sitting in my downloads folder, to test it, and as you can in the following screenshot it monitored both installs.

CPM.png

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
Roger...you just made me laugh to the highest parts of the galaxy. I remember now that I was going to try this with CPM but never got the chance to. However, I did install CPM on my mother's PC with Windows 10, so next time I see her, I will use the script. Thanks for that...

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
Seeing Quarterdeck CleanSweep listed in this thread certainly brought back some memories... I still remember buying it and Norton Utilities in boxed versions before the Internet was a nearly omnipresent reality :)

Reactions: roger_m

jadinolf

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Jun 20, 2014
Same here minevese, I used Norton Antivirus before most people used any antivirus but my first antivirus was McAfee and I had to go off somewhere to update it. All I remember was a black screen and it fed me the update.

Reactions: mlnevese
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.