Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
After updating to Creators, and receiving the following updates, I started seeing font problems in some of my apps.
Microsoft has acknowledged that there is a problem with non-unicode fonts in legacy apps. It affects a lot of languages. They say they are working on a fix.

A user posted the following workaround, although Microsoft support says it is not recommended to do this:

After a lot of searching in the internet and since most of the older Greek Programs caused this error and did n't find a solution online I made some research and found a workaround that worked for me !

The problem with this is that programs that use specific non unicode fonts like MS Sans Serif failed to render correctly in Windows 10 Creators Update .

So I "Killed" MS Sans Serif altogether and my program worked like a charm :)

Just Execute regedit

open HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\FontSubstitutes

create a new string value with the name of the font you want to replace and insertArial as value or any other unicode font you prefer , in my case I created the strings MS Serif and Microsoft Sans Serif.

The last step was to delete the San serif fonts from the \windows\fonts folder. The files were micross.ttf and sserife*.fon

To delete them I used a windows 10 Disc to boot outside windows in command line since if you try to delete them within running windows you get Access denied errors. Safe mode command line boot should work as well but I didn't try it.

Not a simple solution but I Hope to help someone in need out there until MS officially fix it .

Microsoft Community

monkeylove

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Mar 9, 2014
8.1, which runs faster in my system compared to 7 (I just added Classic Shell to make it look like 7). I will probably be forced to use 10 if I replace the machine.

Reactions: jadinolf and AtlBo

ParaXY

Level 6
Verified
Mar 14, 2017
I'm using Windows 10 Creators Edition (1703) on all my physical and virtual machines. I have no plans of ever returning to Windows 7 (or shock horror 8.x!).

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
I'm always windows 7 user it's amazing operating system forever

I concur.

I am seeking a list of absolute essential updates for Windows 7 SP1. I reinstalled Windows 7 last December on a computer, and I have been holding off on updates until I have an opportunity to find a list of the 100% essential ones. Anyone seen anything like this? I want to get inside the mind of MS a little bit when it comes to reasons for updates in an effort to keep the system trim. It's nice running with a 13 GB Windows folder, though...o_O

Reactions: jadinolf

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I concur.

I am seeking a list of absolute essential updates for Windows 7 SP1. I reinstalled Windows 7 last December on a computer, and I have been holding off on updates until I have an opportunity to find a list of the 100% essential ones. Anyone seen anything like this? I want to get inside the mind of MS a little bit when it comes to reasons for updates in an effort to keep the system trim. It's nice running with a 13 GB Windows folder, though...o_O
A lot (a majority?) of the updates are marked as security updates, so that gives you an indicator.

Reactions: jadinolf

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
A lot (a majority?) of the updates are marked as security updates, so that gives you an indicator.

Thanks shmu26. I was going to go with that, but I was hoping someone had really taken the plunge into analyzing them. Haven't found anything so far, except a list of updates to get auto updates started and working.

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Thanks shmu26. I was going to go with that, but I was hoping someone had really taken the plunge into analyzing them. Haven't found anything so far, except a list of updates to get auto updates started and working.
Microsoft publishes explanations of their updates, maybe that is what you are looking for?
For instance, I checked my recent update history, and then I googled "microsoft KB3191863", and I came up with this:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...he-security-update-for-office-2016-may-9-2017
It gives a short description, and it has a link for more details.

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
Microsoft publishes explanations of their updates, maybe that is what you are looking for?
For instance, I checked my recent update history, and then I googled "microsoft KB3191863", and I came up with this:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...he-security-update-for-office-2016-may-9-2017
It gives a short description, and it has a link for more details.

Yes, I checked them in the past from the auto updates dialog. Some of them seem more helpful than others, but I was really hoping to get the "dirty" from a 3rd party, such as, "this one was released in response to..." and so on. :)

Reactions: shmu26 and jadinolf

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Yes, I checked them in the past from the auto updates dialog. Some of them seem more helpful than others, but I was really hoping to get the "dirty" from a 3rd party, such as, "this one was released in response to..." and so on. :)
I bet that @Lockdown knows about this better than anyone.

Reactions: AtlBo

Microsoft has always been less than explicit in describing the particulars of updates. It is rare to find a description that explains things in practical terms that most anyone will readily understand.

Sometimes I am in the same boat as everyone else and have to search online for a post by someone who has made an investigation of an update and published their findings. If you notice, sometimes they are making educated guesses too - because Microsoft is frugal - if not deliberately vague - in their update infos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.