Question Which VPN service would you recommend? Why?

• Thread starter ForgottenSeer 55474
  • Start date

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Which VPN would you recommend?

• CyberGhost VPN

Votes: 24 7.0%
  • Nord VPN

Votes: 60 17.6%
  • F-Secure Freedome VPN

Votes: 29 8.5%
  • ExpressVPN

Votes: 44 12.9%
  • OkayFreedom VPN

Votes: 4 1.2%
  • Hide My Ass VPN

Votes: 5 1.5%
  • PureVPN

Votes: 9 2.6%
  • TorGuard VPN

Votes: 10 2.9%
  • IPVanish VPN

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Other (Specify in thread)

Votes: 153 44.9%

• Total voters

VladDracul

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Sep 28, 2011
I was using Windscribe free with 50 GB/month and i couldn't resist at their offer of 9euros for a whole year .I am using Winscribe especially on my Google Chromecast, Nokia TV Box and on the other Android TV because I love Tubi and as you know it works only with US IP. Windscribe VPN does a wonderful job ,and at the end of my subscription if they'll make another offer like that, I will gladely purchase another license.
PS.I have a lifetime license for Fastest VPN too but their Android application for TV needs a lot of work.

Last edited:

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Which one did you find faster, between Proton and iVPN?
not 100% sure but I think proton. I have several ways of testing the speed, different sources, directly to router, on hardware OS or with VM. Also on this VM I run Checkpoint Harmony and it appears to slow traffic as it inspects in real-time, although don't really feel that slowdown at the keyboard. Between those 2 vpn you probably would not notice any slowdown in operation.

Last edited:

Like a Western!

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Apr 6, 2016
so i prefer to get a comment from someone who consider himself/herself kina paranoid in privacy if you guys still exist?
i'm currently using Mullvad. however my friend using NordVPN and he's like absolutly happy with it not that i'm not happy with Mullvad but yea just like to know if anything better out there to conosider solely based on how privacy friendly they're.
and please, don't hesitate to be the most paranoid version of you. i like it that way. younger me was that kind of person and i'd look up the whole Internet for 3days to just find one bad thing on a very old article about the product i use to just stop using or not use it at all.

thanks in advance gents

Reactions: Jonny Quest

CyberTech

Level 44
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
Given the flood of these sponsored and (let's face it) not always honest VPN reviews from shills out there, I felt the urge to share my genuine insights. Actually, the user-made VPN comparison table on r/vpn is partially what influenced me to put my own thoughts and experiences into a comparison of the so-called best VPNs.

As someone who's been using VPNs for a while and has tried quite a few, I wanted to take a closer look at five big names: NordVPN, Surfshark, ProtonVPN, Atlas VPN, and Mullvad.

Table of Contents​

• Key Findings Summarized
  • Pricing and Plans
  • Servers, Protocols, and Speed
  • Trustworthiness
  • No-logs Policies
  • Streaming
  • Conclusion

Full article and more information:

VPN experts of MT Users, thought on these? please leave a comment here.

FALLEN

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Feb 13, 2015
From my experience, ExpressVPN is the best VPN for streaming. The only problem is their speed is stuck at 400Mbps, idk why. :unsure:
1.png2.png3.png4.png5.png6.png7.png

F

ForgottenSeer 103564

Thread author

cliffspab

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Oct 4, 2019
There is no feature that SurfShark lacks.

It also has the fastest servers (best used on the official WireGuard or WinSock clients) and best browser vpn/adblocker extension (it's ubo in disguise).

All at a cheaper price than its rivals with 24/7 livechat support from by far the best online CS team ive ever dealt with.

They may seem to sell using the tactics of more ugly brand named companies, but the product is excellent. No custom DNS with their own clients, though. But their dedicated US IP is cheaper, faster and unlocks as least as much as, the one i bought from TorGuard.

F

ForgottenSeer 103564

Thread author
Express VPN is owned by Kape.
Formerly know as Crossrider

the notorious creator of some pernicious data-huffing ad-ware, Crossrider. The UK-based company was cofounded by an ex-Israeli surveillance agent and a billionaire previously convicted of insider trading who was later named in the Panama Papers. It produced software which previously allowed third-party developers to hijack users' browsers via malware injection, redirect traffic to advertisers and slurp up private data.

FALLEN

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Feb 13, 2015
ExpressVPN's Official Response

I have Sling TV, Paramount+ and Max subscriptions, but can't access where I live. Therefore, I do use a VPN when streaming but also when traveling for some website access.

I don't care if an ex-Israeli, Arab or American surveillance agent sees my traffic. I like Yellowstone, 1883, Mayor of Kingstown and some kinky girls on various websites. I have nothing to hide from them.

So, what do you guys do when your VPN is on?
5e424f4d-7ffc-440d-8dba-c99107c39f3f_text.gif

F

ForgottenSeer 103564

Thread author
ExpressVPN's Official Response

I have Sling TV, Paramount+ and Max subscriptions, but can't access where I live. Therefore, I do use a VPN when streaming but also when traveling for some website access.

I don't care if an ex-Israeli, Arab or American surveillance agent sees my traffic. I like Yellowstone, 1883, Mayor of Kingstown and some kinky girls on various websites. I have nothing to hide from them.

So, what do you guys do when your VPN is on?
5e424f4d-7ffc-440d-8dba-c99107c39f3f_text.gif
I think you missed the point that the company used to distribute malware and now is a security company 🤔

If you are ok with that, good for you, but I wouldn't recommend it to others. P.s. the parent company will always have final say, owning them.

FALLEN

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Feb 13, 2015
I think you missed the point that the company used to distribute malware and now is a security company 🤔

If you are ok with that, good for you, but I wouldn't recommend it to others. P.s. the parent company will always have final say, owning them.
I'm talking about ExpressVPN.

You can read their official responses and QA.

I don't want you to respond to my comments bcs you're bothering me. If anything is wrong with it, you can report it to the admin.

Last edited:

Shadowra

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
I'm going to give a full review of the different VPNs I've tested.
Note that I have a fairly intensive use of streaming / downloading.
Tested on my PC and fiber optic (2Gb down, 700 up)

Mulvad: The fastest for me (approx. 1600 down / 640 up) , very high download speed, but impossible to unblock Netflix / BBC iPlayer or Amazon Prime... I changed server several times, without success.

CyberGhost: Excellent speed (around 1400 down / 600 up) and ... it unblocked everything! I mostly use the optimized servers because on the classic servers, I've occasionally had blockages (not always, but it happens).

IPVanish: The same speeds as Mulvad, but I've only unblocked Netflix in the USA... Japan I had succeeded on 1 server before getting an IP ban in the middle of playback...

Windscribe: Doesn't exceed 1Gb (780/400) and has never managed to unblock streaming catalogs...

Ivacy: The worst and too many disconnections....

Where I'm talking to you, I use 2: Mulvad for downloading, high-risk sites etc. and CyberGhost for streaming :)

F

ForgottenSeer 103564

Thread author
I'm talking about ExpressVPN.

You can read their official responses and QA.

I don't want you to respond to my comments bcs you're bothering me. If anything is wrong with it, you can report it to the admin.
Then hit the ignore button I'm fine with it, but you responded so did I.

I am talking about express too.

Express VPN, cyberghost VPN and private Internet access are all owned by a company that changed it's name to kape because it used to distribute malware. It's now in charge of and owns all 3 of those.

F

ForgottenSeer 100397

Thread author
Windscribe: Doesn't exceed 1Gb (780/400) and has never managed to unblock streaming catalogs...
Windscribe Pro? The WindFlix servers are no longer available. Do you have any information about the removal of WindFlix servers?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.