Question Which VPN service would you recommend? Why?

• Thread starter ForgottenSeer 55474
  • Start date

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Which VPN would you recommend?

• CyberGhost VPN

Votes: 24 7.0%
  • Nord VPN

Votes: 60 17.6%
  • F-Secure Freedome VPN

Votes: 29 8.5%
  • ExpressVPN

Votes: 44 12.9%
  • OkayFreedom VPN

Votes: 4 1.2%
  • Hide My Ass VPN

Votes: 5 1.5%
  • PureVPN

Votes: 9 2.6%
  • TorGuard VPN

Votes: 10 2.9%
  • IPVanish VPN

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Other (Specify in thread)

Votes: 153 44.9%

• Total voters

DardiM

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
May 14, 2016
Thank you, I knew about ipleaks.net ( opera for example does not have leaks it says )

But I did not know about dnsleaks.com
Perfomed : opera shows 6 Google ( I think )severs XD : so it means there are leaks ? If you don't have leaks it shows you nothing ?

Thank you
In fact when you are using a vpn => in the list you find with dnsleaks.com, your real dns must not appears.

DardiM

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
May 14, 2016
Oh no, actually I don't use google DNS
I thought opera sucked so much that would have had leaks :D

In fact on Ipleaks it says that there are leaks only if you see your isp DNS .

Thank you
your isp dns or the dns you have setup manually (like a lot of person make)

You must only see the DNS used by your VPN (it can be several DNS)

For example : when I use my VPN, and I want to be seen from US, my ISP DNS disappear.
But if you have set up manually other DNS, it could appears that some dns of you vpn is the same you have set up :)

Dirk41

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 17, 2016
your isp dns or the dns you have setup manually (like a lot of person make)

You must only see the DNS used by your VPN (it can be several DNS)

For example : when I use my VPN, and I want to be seen from US, my ISP DNS disappear.
But if you have set up manually other DNS, it could appears that some dns of you vpn is the same you have set up :)

So if with opera I see Google under " ISP" , and I did not set Google DNS manually , it means opera uses google DNS ? Thank you

DardiM

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
May 14, 2016
So if with opera I see Google under " ISP" , and I did not set Google DNS manually , it means opera uses google DNS ? Thank you
Yes, I think :)

When you are using a VPN, it must protect you, using their DNS, not a DNS that can rely on you.

An easy test :
Look at the DNS when the VPN is not activated, and then when it is activated.

DNS leaks is when some DNS activities are seen from your PC, not passing true the VPN path.

An example :
If I use DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol), and activate Kaspersky VPN, it doesn't block some system / process to use other DNS.
=> I have to make some tricks to block some DNS to be used or in the long list of DNS given by Kaspersky VPN, I can see my IPS DNS :)

Last edited:

uninfected1

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2016
i have a bad feeling that so much voting for windscribe just because they have a 50gb per month free license from a giveaway.. windscrib is by far not the best one out there.
If I'm typical of Windscribe users then your 'bad feeling' has no basis in fact. For me it has nothing at all to do with the giveaway. I have only used the free version and it is so good it shames many paid VPNs. Very user friendly, light, good speed, industry leading security and privacy, including IPv6 and DNS leak protection and disconnect kill feature, no logs, and p2p compatible.

And of course the paid version is even better. Unlimited, with more servers and available for multiple devices.

Dirk41

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 17, 2016
Yes, I think :)

When you are using a VPN, it must protect you, using their DNS, not a DNS that can rely on you.

An easy test :
Look at the DNS when the VPN is not activated, and then when it is activated.

DNS leaks is when some DNS activities are seen from your PC, not passing true the VPN path.

An example :
If I use DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol), and activate Kaspersky VPN, it doesn't block some system / process to use other DNS.
=> I have to make some tricks to block some DNS to be used or in the long list of DNS given by Kaspersky VPN, I can see my IPS DNS :)

And last question : on dnsleaktest.com how "host name" column should appear ? " none " ?

And actually I typed wrongly the website before : I performed the test on dnsleaktest.com like you suggested .

But know I tested opera on dnsleak.com and here it say " your DNS might be leaking ". Is this last one a reliable test ??? Because it shows no google DNS ( others that I never seen before ) and different IPs from those one I see on dnsleaktest.com

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
If I'm typical of Windscribe users then your 'bad feeling' has no basis in fact. For me it has nothing at all to do with the giveaway. I have only used the free version and it is so good it shames many paid VPNs. Very user friendly, light, good speed, industry leading security and privacy, including IPv6 and DNS leak protection and disconnect kill feature, no logs, and p2p compatible.

And of course the paid version is even better. Unlimited, with more servers and available for multiple devices.
+1

DardiM

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
May 14, 2016
And last question : on dnsleaktest.com how "host name" column should appear ? " none " ?

And actually I typed wrongly the website before : I performed the test on dnsleaktest.com like you suggested .

But know I tested opera on dnsleak.com and here it say " your DNS might be leaking ". Is this last one a reliable test ??? Because it shows no google DNS ( others that I never seen before ) and different IPs from those one I see on dnsleaktest.com
In fact I wrote this way my post

"For testing :

IP/DNS Detect

To stop DNS Leaks, good tuto part B :

DNS leak test

The first IRL is for tests, the second is for the tuto, part B"
So, you must test with the first link, and if problem, follow the tuto on the second link

I have just tested now with the second link I also have "none", but use this second link only for the tuto :)

Last edited:

Dirk41

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 17, 2016
In fact I wrote this way my post

"For testing :

IP/DNS Detect

To stop DNS Leaks, good tuto part B :

DNS leak test

The first IRL is for tests, the second is for the tuto, part B"
So, you must test with the first link, and if problem, follow the tuto on the second link

I just tested on the second I also have "none", but use this second link only for the tuto :)

I read but I am one my phone :) I can't . I asked because it seemed strange that your website did not say there were leaks and the other one yes

DardiM

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
May 14, 2016
I read but I am one my phone :) I can't . I asked because it seemed strange that your website did not say there were leaks and the other one yes
May be because it saw a lot of dns.

But the best method :

Test here with VPN deactivated, note the DNS, and then make the test with VPN activated, and compare.

"If you are now connected to a VPN and between the detected DNS you see your ISP DNS, then your system is leaking DNS requests"

motox781

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Apr 1, 2015
I just wanted to give a shot out to PIA. I noticed it wasn't in the list, but have been using them for years.

Here is a couple of things I've liked about PIA.

Speed: I have a 200Mb down connection. On my ISP (Cox) I get 35ms pings/115Mb down. With PIA (server 350 miles away), I get 25ms pings/ 120Mb down. Service is a little faster via VPN. Ping is important to me because I play online games. I run a VPN 24/7 and my ping is just as fast as if I was not using a VPN.

Servers: They have many servers all over the world.

Security: I use AES 128, but they have AES 256. They update their software fast when a security hole is discovered. Not long ago, there was a security issue and they notified everyone via email and fixed the problem right away with a software update.

GUI: GUI is a little outdated, but is simple and works. IOS app works amazingly well (auto runs on restart, never disconnects, fast).

Price: Cheap. $3.33 a month with 1 year. Price has stayed the same for many years.

Support: I haven't used their support much, but I'm guessing from the feedback I have seen that they are 'standard' on quality of service.

Stability: Never had a disconnection due to the server I use going down, etc.

Logging: Very important to me. They are very vocal about NO logging, but of course this is all based on how much you trust the companies policies. I have grown to trust them. Recently, they shut down a Russian server because the Russian government wanted all VPNs to start logging for 1 year.

Active users: 5 with no limitations on servers used by each person, protocols, etc.

P2P friendly: Yes

Hopes this helps someone. The other providers I've used (Nord, Cyberghost, Express VPN) are not even close the the speeds I get with PIA.

Svoll

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
I like windscribe so much more than hidemyass, i just purchased their lifetime or 10 year license. Set it up thru my router and i had to use OpenDNS or Google nameservers, after running the test for a few sites listed here. IP/DNS said my IP as windscribe and DNS as opendns, Am i leaking? My ISP IP and DNS are not shown. 1 site said i was leaking.

est complete

Query round Progress... Servers found
. 5
. 3
. 4
. 4
. 4
. 4
IP Hostname ISP Country
204.194.237.13 m3.lax.opendns.com 302 Direct Media LLC United States
us.png

204.194.237.21 m11.lax.opendns.com 302 Direct Media LLC United States
us.png

204.194.237.19 m9.lax.opendns.com 302 Direct Media LLC United States
us.png

204.194.237.17 m7.lax.opendns.com 302 Direct Media LLC United States
us.png

204.194.237.11 m1.lax.opendns.com OpenDNS, LLC United States
us.png

204.194.237.15 m5.lax.opendns.com 302 Direct Media LLC United States
us.png

and lastly:

DNS Leak Test
Looks like your DNS might be leaking...
  • Your IP: 104.200.152.106
  • DNS IP: 204.194.237.11
  • Hostname: m1.lax.opendns.com
  • City: Los Angeles
  • DNS IP: 204.194.237.13
  • Hostname: m3.lax.opendns.com
  • City: San Francisco
  • DNS IP: 204.194.237.19
  • Hostname: m9.lax.opendns.com
  • DNS IP: 204.194.237.17
  • Hostname: m7.lax.opendns.com

Janl1992l

Level 14
Verified
Well-known
Feb 14, 2016
Windscribe is my favorite! fast support, good speed, they now accept members from other vpn providers be giving you pro membership if you switch. Switch to Windscribe - Windscribe
Thank you. i have done this for cyberghost. now i have windscribe almost a year and cyberghost. im testing windscribe atm and it doesnt seems bad at all. maybe i use it abit but i have a feeling that i will soon go back to airvpn or perfect-privacy vpn. Anyway that is a realy nice move from windscribe.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.