Advice Request Why does everyone here like ESET so much?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bunchuu

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Mar 17, 2015
Hi,

I was just wondering, why does everyone here like Eset so much? It never performs on par with security suits such as those from Bitdefender or Kaspersky, and even Eset's test results from antivirus testing labs (such as AV-Test) seem quite mediocre when compared to Bitdefender, Kaspersky, Trend Micro or even Norton. In everything ranging from performance impact to protection. Yet everyone here swears by it. What up with that?

I'm eset beta tester and I can tell you that eset is light, fast and have good ui. I consider antivirus testing lab but I can say that it's not sole consideration for picking AV.

L

LabZero

I like the fact that Eset's software is coded in Assembly which is a low level programming language. Assembly is much more efficient about performance, timing accuracy: the code is more compact (less memory usage and greater speed of execution)...this is very important with regard an AV.

MrExplorer

Level 28
Verified
Nov 15, 2012
I like the fact that Eset's software is coded in Assembly which is a low level programming language. Assembly is much more efficient about performance, timing accuracy: the code is more compact (less memory usage and greater speed of execution)...this is very important with regard an AV.

@Klipsh i really didn't knew about that ESET is coded assembly., Thanks to you.

Reactions: Alkajak and LabZero

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
ESET has good detection rate but I wouldn't use it due to the boot issues it causes.

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
The majority would be correct, how does it perform against zero-day or unknown vectors of attack?
Based on AV-Tests (Never tried software itself :p) Still seems pretty good at detected the latest threats. Nothing is perfect though. :)

DoxThis

Level 3
Verified
Apr 25, 2015
They tend to have the fastest detection on new crypters/stubs when publicly posted on forums and not the tor network.
eg HF/LF

Reactions: Nightwalker

suma

Level 4
Verified
Feb 18, 2013
After read many comments and review of Eset finaly bought and install Eset smart security9 in my PC, But In top 10 AV list Eset having 13 position it was quite disapoint to me :( .

Jrs30

Level 11
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
After read many comments and review of Eset finaly bought and install Eset smart security9 in my PC, But In top 10 AV list Eset having 13 position it was quite disapoint to me :( .
This is a grain of salt! This can not influence a user to choose a product. You have to see how the product reacts in daily use, these tests or positions should not affect anything.
I carry it with me, before these test influenced me a lot of, AV Comparatives tests, like to see the tests and how products come out, but do not change my choice because the product did very badly) :)

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Its interesting where ESET is coded on assembly which is an 'X' factor because of dealing to handle those critical operations. Alongside of protection where it combines lots of techniques including sandbox emulation.

Reactions: Captain Awesome
D

Deleted member 2913

I think coz its overall good -

1. Detection is good.
2. Updates are small.
3. Quick/Fast to add new/zeroday malware to the databases.
4. Decent proactive.
5. Light
6. Low FPs
7. Web protection good.
8. Install/Uninstall is fast.
9. PUP detection is good.

And 1 thing thats good about Eset is the installer size & initial databases.
Eset installer size is app 100 MB & initial databases size is app 30 MB so total app 130 MB.
Couple of cloud AVs aside, every other security software installer size is app 150 - 200 or more & same with the initial databases so total app 300 - 400 MB or more.

And as per Eset Dev, Eset module protection are balanced i.e Web protection is first line of defense so there is increased protection in Web module And Realtime protection is covered well too with minimum FPs, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.