Advice Request Why does everyone here like ESET so much?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

done

Level 5
Verified
Mar 19, 2015
Also its easy to reset and that's why many use it.. :D;)
Just finished installing eset smart security 9 now...
Doing great.. xD
Yep ESET 8 you could reset but that's not why everyone like it here.
We use to do tests here and it does have a great detecting rate

Reactions: kev216 and Razor555

safe1st

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 29, 2016
I've been using ESET more than a year now for my main pc/ gaming pc. And extend it for another year for 2 other system, this one and a laptop.
Its light, fit for me- no issues with my everyday tasks..
RAM usage is high but its no impact on system

Cch123

Level 7
Verified
May 6, 2014
Eset is not the AV on my system, but I have tested it enough to know what I like about ESET. Its HIPS is some of the most customizable and effective among the security solutions, satisfying those who like to tinker around. There are a lot here :D And as others have mentioned, it is among the AVs which do not hamper performance significantly. There are some who think that its interface is nice too, but to me its just average.

There is one thing I love about Eset. If the browser of my VM visit a dangerous site, Eset, from the host informs me or blocks the connection.

Most AVs with a network filter driver would be able to do that, such as Kaspersky etc.

Nuno

Level 2
Verified
Feb 26, 2016
I've been told ESET has a great engine. However my experience with it was not very good.
So, I got a horrible intriguing virus that blocked keyboard and mouse on boot and put my safe mode in an infinite loop (couldn't access it) (hey, was my first and only major infection and got me into malware testing and security, so not everything was bad).
Ended up asking for a friend to make me a clean install of w7 (cause he has cheaper keys, or even free) and he did it and installed ESET (again, free or cheap keys cause he works with retailers).
From start, ESET was a pain, its gui took like 30 seconds to start and it ran very slow/stopped responding once I clicked something. Hardware was not the best, but still, not low enough for something like that to happen (dual core, later ones and 4GB ram).
On top of that, when I updated to Windows 10, ESET stopped working completely and I lost my key :( (cause I couldn't reinstall it without knowing the original one) Would be willing to give it another go, but I don't feel like paying for it after that.
I could also have contacted support, but I doubt they'd help me out cause I had no proof of purchase.

Reactions: safe1st and kev216

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
ESET is definitely a good security software because of its protection and the concept of techniques, honestly some people tend to ignore on the selection of products where they mainly focus to more known ones. Especially that major stores nationwide sell ESET on selected locations. So indeed a good investment no matter if the price is so expensive.

Razor555

Level 5
Verified
Sep 15, 2014
I've been told ESET has a great engine. However my experience with it was not very good.
So, I got a horrible intriguing virus that blocked keyboard and mouse on boot and put my safe mode in an infinite loop (couldn't access it) (hey, was my first and only major infection and got me into malware testing and security, so not everything was bad).
Ended up asking for a friend to make me a clean install of w7 (cause he has cheaper keys, or even free) and he did it and installed ESET (again, free or cheap keys cause he works with retailers).
From start, ESET was a pain, its gui took like 30 seconds to start and it ran very slow/stopped responding once I clicked something. Hardware was not the best, but still, not low enough for something like that to happen (dual core, later ones and 4GB ram).
On top of that, when I updated to Windows 10, ESET stopped working completely and I lost my key :( (cause I couldn't reinstall it without knowing the original one) Would be willing to give it another go, but I don't feel like paying for it after that.
I could also have contacted support, but I doubt they'd help me out cause I had no proof of purchase.

Not sure what sort of virus you got but that is why you always must have a rescue disk from ESET or Kaspersky or any other reputable one..
I always have a rescue disk with Farbar Recovery Scan Tool on it just in case. :) You are sure you didn't mess up with system files or something? Sometimes people mess with that without even knowing what they remove... :p

Nuno

Level 2
Verified
Feb 26, 2016
Not sure what sort of virus you got but that is why you always must have a rescue disk from ESET or Kaspersky or any other reputable one..
I always have a rescue disk with Farbar Recovery Scan Tool on it just in case. :) You are sure you didn't mess up with system files or something? Sometimes people mess with that without even knowing what they remove... :p
I'm pretty sure I didn't. Would be quite a coincidence for me to mess them up in a way it would disable keyboard and mouse actions AND put my safe mode inaccessible, in an infinite loop :p I hadn't done anything/installed anything the last time I used the computer.
When I said bootable linux thing, I meant Kaspersky Rescue Disk, that's what I used. However, it didn't pick up any malware and didn't solve it. I could see and access my files, though, they were all there.

Reactions: done and safe1st

Razor555

Level 5
Verified
Sep 15, 2014
I'm pretty sure I didn't. Would be quite a coincidence for me to mess them up in a way it would disable keyboard and mouse actions AND put my safe mode inaccessible, in an infinite loop :p I hadn't done anything/installed anything the last time I used the computer.
When I said bootable linux thing, I meant Kaspersky Rescue Disk, that's what I used. However, it didn't pick up any malware and didn't solve it. I could see and access my files, though, they were all there.

Well If Kaspersky rescue disk didn't pick up anything it might of been something else wrong with broken drivers and so on... Still I cannot really know what has happened to your system as it could of been anything that caused it,, and I cannot guesstimate on what has actually happened to your system without inspecting it myself... :p There is a thing called bootcat.cashe that causes infinite bootloop and there is a fix but it doesn't mean that was the issue.. You can look for it online for more info...

Reactions: Nuno

JollyGood

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jan 7, 2015
You all do in fact bring up very good points. I have in the past tested ESET and their signatures are actually quite good, despite antivirus test labs; however, I feel like without proper rules their HIPS engine seems to be either a major hit or miss and, configuring rules for a novice user isn't very easy. Idk, might look into it after my Bitdefender license runs out in 37 days. Anyways, thanks for all of your help guys. All of the information gathered here was quite insight full :)

JollyGood

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jan 7, 2015
I like F Secure :)
I do too; however, like ESET its pricing is a little steep for my taste. But, it is quite a good program, especially the latest version. Probably the fastest scanning engine I have ever come across. Performs a full scan of my PC in less 10 min. They have a great caching algorithm. Only probem is that they have more than 4 or 5 active processes which, on a older laptop is quite worrisome.

Khairul

Level 2
Verified
Feb 3, 2015
I used ESET because it react fast on Zero Day Malware. And of course it light even though V9 are heavier than previous version, but still its lighter than others. Not forgotten to its pretty easy GUI which make the setting pretty easier to be find even by noob. Even though the zero Day protection are not that good, but based on my experience, its more than enough than even for an extreme pc user. And finally, even though not all of the message in their support forum are given respond, but yet more than 80% question post there will be given an answer or further investigation by ESET mod themselves.

chrcoluk

Level 1
Verified
Aug 6, 2015
mainly because it is light, I wont use an AV that can be felt performance wise.

webroot e.g. is pretty heavy and crippled my powerful pc, as it has to constantly monitor the registry etc. for its rollback system.

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

TheMalwareMaster

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 4, 2016
Eset has a really fast reaction to zero-day malware, but I'm not really sure about their zero-day components. For example, Norton has sonar which is really good, but ESET? Does it have only the HIPS? If you use HIPS into automated mode, they aren't going to do so much.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
I think assuming "Everyone" here likes ESET is a mistake, yes there are a good number of ESET fans here, myself included.
But it has more to do with system impact for me, and i can suppliment or make up for ESET's slight issues with the apps I choose to run alongside ESET.
It's a well trusted name in the AV software field, and this community is filled with people who know their stuff & "good software" when they see it, so its no surprise ESET
finds acceptance here and will for years to come.
PeAcE

M

Mihir :-)

Eset has a really fast reaction to zero-day malware, but I'm not really sure about their zero-day components. For example, Norton has sonar which is really good, but ESET? Does it have only the HIPS? If you use HIPS into automated mode, they aren't going to do so much.
You missed Botnet protection and Advance Memory scanner and LIveGrid and Exploit Protection.

TheMalwareMaster

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 4, 2016
Yes, but I still can't undestand how effective those components are and how they work. Do they detect malicious applications by behaviour? (like sonar or kaspersky "malicious application behaviour" or Bitdefender Active Threat Control)

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.