shmu26

Level 82
Verified
Trusted
Content Creator
Have there been any tests with malware samples/exploit techniques, that show how effective Core isolation is?
Is there any kind of info on how much it actually helps to protect the system?
This feature sounds nice on paper, but it demands a sacrifice: there is a lot of hardware and software that it is not compatible with.
Question is whether Core isolation is worth the trouble?

D

Deleted member 178

Core isolation blocks Virtual Box...another badly implemented features from MS....

Ms should focus on fixing their OS' unlimited holes and vulnerabilities instead of developing security features, because they suxx at it.

shmu26

Level 82
Verified
Trusted
Content Creator
Core isolation blocks Virtual Box...another badly implemented features from MS....

Ms should focus on fixing their OS' unlimited holes and vulnerabilities instead of developing security features, because they suxx at it.
Yeah, the fact that Core isolation blocks VMware and Virtual Box is a major minus.

It's true that some Windows security features are bad, but others are good, for instance, many of the ASR rules.
Also the ability to configure Exploit guard for specific apps is good.

Azure

Level 24
Verified
Content Creator
I know there was issues with it at the beginning but how is memory integrity right now? Any issue or incompatibility with softwares?

JiSingh12

Level 3
I know there was issues with it at the beginning but how is memory integrity right now? Any issue or incompatibility with softwares?
I guess it is improving very slowly as things do, but there will remain issues with it for a while, but the incompatibilities for memory integrity come from outdated drivers mainly. So in many cases i would presume people facing issues (sound drivers, etc.) ... Also an incompatibility with a boot-critical driver, will result in MI automatically being turned off in the background, where as in other cases it will require you to disable it. Also wont work with basically all VM applications in the Hyper-v environment, and a few other tools that require access to the Virtualisation hardware, so i guess in most cases i would just leave it disabled for ease of use tbh

Reactions: Andy Ful and Azure