Advice Request Windows 10 Core Isolation -- How good is it?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Have there been any tests with malware samples/exploit techniques, that show how effective Core isolation is?
Is there any kind of info on how much it actually helps to protect the system?
This feature sounds nice on paper, but it demands a sacrifice: there is a lot of hardware and software that it is not compatible with.
Question is whether Core isolation is worth the trouble?

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I advice against and there's still some major bugs like not being able to turn it OFF and extreme resource hog on some systems.

This types of features can be overkill for the usual Home User as well.
For geeks, turning it off is not a major issue, you can hack the registry, or use Win10 Core Isolation Control Q&A - Win10 Core Isolation switch stuck

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
and extreme resource hog on some systems.
I didn't notice this until you mentioned it, but it does seem to increase CPU usage on my system.

D

Deleted member 178

Core isolation blocks Virtual Box...another badly implemented features from MS....

Ms should focus on fixing their OS' unlimited holes and vulnerabilities instead of developing security features, because they suxx at it.

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Core isolation blocks Virtual Box...another badly implemented features from MS....

Ms should focus on fixing their OS' unlimited holes and vulnerabilities instead of developing security features, because they suxx at it.
Yeah, the fact that Core isolation blocks VMware and Virtual Box is a major minus.

It's true that some Windows security features are bad, but others are good, for instance, many of the ASR rules.
Also the ability to configure Exploit guard for specific apps is good.

NulFunction

Level 2
Verified
Jun 2, 2018
I can't even enable it. Doesn't give me an error. I guess I need a TPM chip in my machine, huh?

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
I know there was issues with it at the beginning but how is memory integrity right now? Any issue or incompatibility with softwares?

JiSingh12

Level 3
Verified
Sep 1, 2018
I know there was issues with it at the beginning but how is memory integrity right now? Any issue or incompatibility with softwares?

I guess it is improving very slowly as things do, but there will remain issues with it for a while, but the incompatibilities for memory integrity come from outdated drivers mainly. So in many cases i would presume people facing issues (sound drivers, etc.) ... Also an incompatibility with a boot-critical driver, will result in MI automatically being turned off in the background, where as in other cases it will require you to disable it. Also wont work with basically all VM applications in the Hyper-v environment, and a few other tools that require access to the Virtualisation hardware, so i guess in most cases i would just leave it disabled for ease of use tbh

Reactions: Andy Ful and Azure
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.