Troubleshoot Windows 10 laptop slow boot time and slow in general.

grimreaper1014

Level 3
Thread author
Jul 9, 2011
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
Slow booting into Windows and slow, slow to load programs, and overall sluggishness of the laptop.
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
Got rid of Windows 10 from HP with HP baked in software.
Upgrading all the drivers to the latest version per manufacturers website.
Replaced 5400RPM 1 TB drive with Samsung 840 EVO,
Used msconfig to remove boot software.
Used CCleaner to cleanup leftover crap and Windows 10 upgrade remnants.
Optimized SSD drive.
Hi guys,

My desktop croaked so I inherited a cheap laptop. Its an HP. I decided to do my own fresh install of Windows 10 to avoid all the baked in crap from HP. I noticed majority of the slowness was due to the hard drive. It was a junk 5400RPM 1 TB platter. I yanked it out and upgraded it to a Samsung EVO 840 I had laying around from the desktop that died. This laptop isn't much to marvel at. I mean I know its going to be a slow pos. It only had a 1.6Ghz Intel Celeron processor with boost to 2.4GHz I think it said and a single RAM slot with 4Gbs of ram. However, for just web browsing I feel like it should be faster than this. I checked the speeds in Samsung Magician for the SSD speeds both read and writes are over 500MB/s both directions. So that rules it out. I also optimized the drive once I got everything installed. I know how to remove items from bootup. I did that part. However, I have read scheduled tasks can cause slow boot up and overall sluggishness of a computer. I downloaded autoruns. This way I can see everything thats firing up. However, its a little over my head. Can someone recommend what I could disable? I included screenshots.

Thanks,
Rocky

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    327.3 KB · Views: 470
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    345.8 KB · Views: 472
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    345.8 KB · Views: 425
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    300.2 KB · Views: 427

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
What is the processor? I'm guessing it's a N3050 or N3060, both of which are fairly slow CPUs which could be the reason for the slowness. I wouldn't be too concerned about scheduled tasks. A scheduled task is not going to affect performance unless it has CPU or disk usage.

It may be that computer is not quite powerful enough to run Windows 10 well. In which case, Windows 8, or a debloated version of Windows 10, may run much better.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

CyberTech

Level 44
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
Well did you open a Task Manager? did it say 100% CPU?

Turn on Rapid mode in Samsung Magician and Install WPD Disable Windows apps (bloatware)

Watch this

Hope that would work for your old laptop please create a restore before do it

If it doesn't' work as slow i would say install Windows 8/8.1 or Linux

Upvote 0

grimreaper1014

Level 3
Thread author
Jul 9, 2011
What is the processor? I'm guessing it's a N3050 or N3060, both of which are fairly slow CPUs which could be the reason for the slowness. I wouldn't be too concerned about scheduled tasks. A scheduled task is not going to affect performance unless it has CPU or disk usage.

It may be that computer is not quite powerful enough to run Windows 10 well. In which case, Windows 8, or a debloated version of Windows 10, may run much better.

Yeah its the N3060.

By any chance 2 video cards in the laptop ? If you have Intel and ATI one.
You have to do this--> Regedit---> find EnableUPLS--> change from 1 to 0
The boot time will be normal again.

Turn on Rapid mode in Samsung Magician and Install WPD Disable Windows apps (bloatware)

CPU is not 100% just browsing the web doing basic things like checking email and browsing the web. Do you recommen

Watch this

J

N3060 processor it came with WIndows 10 on it. I just had to use a Windows 8 disk to Windows 10 as I didn't have a Windows 10 disk and there is no serial key on the laptop to activate. So I went that route.
By any chance 2 video cards in the laptop ? If you have Intel and ATI one.
You have to do this--> Regedit---> find EnableUPLS--> change from 1 to 0
The boot time will be normal again.

Just a single video card. Its an Intel Display adapter.

Watch this

I'm not hitting 100% as all I'm doing is browsing the web and checking email. I see around 30 to 40% usage with multiple tabs open.

Do you recommend Rapid mode even though this thing only has 4gb of memory?

I uninstalled a lot of Windows bundle crap already. I am going to watch the video and do those recommendations as well.

Thanks for your help guys. Will let ya know what I turn up.

Upvote 0

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
HP's OEM windows versions are awful. They are always full of bloatwares and slow as hell

The first thing I always do is reinstalling the windows as soon as possible. Use the one from microsoft, not from OEM because they are always heavier

Preferred:
- The windows version, released in the same year as your CPU. N3060 (Q1, 2016) -> I prefer installing windows 10 v1607, LTSB 2016 or 1703 (not preferred) on it. This will ensure the maximum compatibility and speed due to driver support from HP
- install drivers from HP and update them if posible (from the manufactures, not from driver updaters). Don't install HP softwares if they are not super important (such as beats/IDT audio driver, for example, without it, the computer will sound terribly)
- Use debloat scripts right after installing your computer. This would yield the least number of bugs
- I don't recommend messing with WPD. It causes many headaches. OOshutup is better, simplier and easy to fix. Use recommended preset/settings

if you still find windows 10 slow, you may try to revert to windows 8.1 v9300 to see if it's any better. Be aware of driver support

p/s: running w10 on a 4GB Ram laptop is a no no from me. 4GB can't handle w10 full very smoothly (some people can still tolerate it). I prefer windows 8.1 or windows 10 lite/compact

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Absolutely true. If you want a less painful experience, install Windows 7 (or linux for that matter, if all you want to do is browse internet). Even so, don't have high expectations from Celeron.
What kind of advice is "install Windows 7"?

It's a risk for anyone with common sense.
Link: Windows 7 End of Support Info - Microsoft

Screen Shot 2020-06-29 at 11.30.07.png

Although I do not recommend previous versions of Windows, using Windows 8.1 [Download] would be a safer choice, as it is still supported by Microsoft.
Link: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13853/windows-lifecycle-fact-sheet
Screen Shot 2020-06-29 at 11.36.06.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
I've done a few not cutting edge PC's recently for users working at home - It does seem you covered most things I would have thought of - Seems from my experience 4 GIG not quite enough for 10, I certainly wouldn't install 7 or 8 - If you can't increase RAM I think you done all you can - As you are using Kaspersky have you tried a trial of ESET/Norton 360 for example - I have multiple licences for K but found it just does not run well on some PC's maybe due to software/hardware configuration yet other with similar hardware it's fine?

Upvote 0

CyberTech

Level 44
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
I'm not hitting 100% as all I'm doing is browsing the web and checking email. I see around 30 to 40% usage with multiple tabs open.

Do you recommend Rapid mode even though this thing only has 4gb of memory?

I uninstalled a lot of Windows bundle crap already. I am going to watch the video and do those recommendations as well.

Thanks for your help guys. Will let ya know what I turn up.

Listen man, do follow what @Evjl's Rain said..

p/s: running w10 on a 4GB Ram laptop is a no no from me. 4GB can't handle w10 full very smoothly (some people can still tolerate it). I prefer windows 8.1 or windows 10 lite/compact

Yea man i have a lappy intel i5-2xxx, 4GB ram and 240GB SSD it running is good after uninstall all windows apps (bloatware), disable some services & windows settings, etc as i posted a video i use a lappy for test on windows 10 2004 no issues and all drivers are working ok...

Upvote 0

CyberTech

Level 44
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
I've done a few not cutting edge PC's recently for users working at home - It does seem you covered most things I would have thought of - Seems from my experience 4 GIG not quite enough for 10, I certainly wouldn't install 7 or 8 - If you can't increase RAM I think you done all you can - As you are using Kaspersky have you tried a trial of ESET/Norton 360 for example - I have multiple licences for K but found it just does not run well on some PC's maybe due to software/hardware configuration yet other with similar hardware it's fine?

Are you talking about the PC's with 4GB? i dont believe this, even with the SSD??

Reactions: bribon77
Upvote 0

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Listen man, do follow what @Evjl's Rain said..

Yea man i have a lappy intel i5-2xxx, 4GB ram and 240GB SSD it running is good after uninstall all windows apps (bloatware), disable some services & windows settings, etc as i posted a video i use a lappy for test on windows 10 2004 no issues and all drivers are working ok...
my friend also has a DELL laptop, i5-6x, 4GB ram, SSD 240GB with OEM windows 10 180x. Whatever I did to it, it didn't do too well. I was not allowed to reinstall windows
I had other Sony vaio S, i5 gen 1 with windows 10, 4GB, without SSD. It was slow on windows 10 (clean install) but performed x5 better on windows 7

I do think machines with low ram should run better on windows 8.1 or windows 7 because the memory consumption by Windows (after tweaks & debloats) is lower than on windows 10
It can be less than 1GB on x64, even 500-800MB on x86
more free ram is better for them

Upvote 0

danb

From VoodooShield
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
I have personally seen A LOT of these particular laptop motherboards die quicker than expected. I would run memtest86 (boot from CD) and see if it generates any errors. Memtest86 is not actually a motherboard diagnostic, but if it generates errors, I would bet it is a bad motherboard., although you can remove one stick of memory at a time and test again to confirm.

Here is what memtest86 errors look like (the bottom of the screen will turn red)...

Attachments

• Errors.jpg
    Errors.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 366
Last edited:
Upvote 0

ChoiceVoice

Level 6
Verified
Oct 10, 2014
you can't have that level of protection with those specs. my laptop with 3 gb ram can't run kaspersky, and definitely not with the extra weight of zemana. mine won't even run windows defender, lol. i have to put panda, adaware, or webroot on it. and shut down that iobit startup.

and i didn't see your browser there, but it's a given that chrome is wayyyyy to large and will gum up the system. firefox helps and might be good enough for yours. mine, with only 3 gb ... forces me to run falkon browser. (and use sandboxie if you're worried about security).

Upvote 0

South Park

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jun 23, 2018
you can't have that level of protection with those specs. my laptop with 3 gb ram can't run kaspersky, and definitely not with the extra weight of zemana. mine won't even run windows defender, lol. i have to put panda, adaware, or webroot on it. and shut down that iobit startup.

and i didn't see your browser there, but it's a given that chrome is wayyyyy to large and will gum up the system. firefox helps and might be good enough for yours. mine, with only 3 gb ... forces me to run falkon browser. (and use sandboxie if you're worried about security).
My previous W7 64-bit laptop w/ 3 GB of RAM and a Core Duo chip (which had a much better Passmark score than any Celeron) could only run Webroot for security software, backed up with OSArmor. Even MSE brought the computer to a standstill. I also had to use 32-bit browsers on it to conserve memory.

Upvote 0

grimreaper1014

Level 3
Thread author
Jul 9, 2011
Well guys I all the tweaks CyberTech recommended, removed Windows bloatware, and disabled unwanted services. I have to say this bay is humming along nicely. Even with Kaspersky cloud security. Thanks again for your help fellas.

PS. Is there a very easy to use Linus distro that looks similar to Windows? My mom uses the laptop sometimes. I have hardly no experience with Linux and she isnt even very good with Windows lmao. Therefore, if I do decide to switch I need something relatively simple to tackle.

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.