Advice Request Windows 10 Mail app or Thunderbird?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Windows 10 Mail app or Thunderbird?

• Windows 10 Mail app

Votes: 19 29.7%
  • Thunderbird

Votes: 27 42.2%
  • Other program (Please comment)

Votes: 18 28.1%

• Total voters

dJim

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Mar 12, 2016
Hello all, easy question because i have to check daily some mail ( gmail, outlook ) daily. Wich mail client will be really usefull also secure plus memory/cpu consume better?
Windows 10 mail integrated or thunderbird ? If you know any other real option is welcome always. thanks advanced.

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017

Attachments

• capture_02162019_201046.jpg
    capture_02162019_201046.jpg
    192.1 KB · Views: 510
  • capture_01052019_002256.jpg
    capture_01052019_002256.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 480

Freki123

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Aug 10, 2013
My vote is for thunderbird because i can sandbox it and it is free :D (Since i haven't used mailbird in a long time not sure if sandboxing still works).
Just for fun i looked at the mailbird website and they still got banners with like 70%off. Would have been 17€=19$ for a lifetimelicense

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I can't get Thunderbird to connect to my gmail account, even after disabling 2 factor auth. And yes, my google account is enabled for less secure apps. It says: "Your account is vulnerable because you allow apps and devices that use less secure sign-in technology to access your account".

eM Client connects to gmail effortlessly, but does not pull in all my mail. It skips a few years in the middle, for some reason.

Mailbird will not download heavy attachments, even if you tell it to.

MS Outlook does not like to sync the Gmail All Mail folder. There are tricks, but they don't work for me.

dJim

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Mar 12, 2016
I can't get Thunderbird to connect to my gmail account, even after disabling 2 factor auth. And yes, my google account is enabled for less secure apps. It says: "Your account is vulnerable because you allow apps and devices that use less secure sign-in technology to access your account".

eM Client connects to gmail effortlessly, but does not pull in all my mail. It skips a few years in the middle, for some reason.

MS Outlook does not like to sync the Gmail All Mail folder. There are tricks, but they don't work for me.
Daam thats is really bad luck with few programs xD

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016

So your suggestion would be Windows 10 mail or are you using another program?

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
So your suggestion would be Windows 10 mail or are you using another program?
Windows 10 mail doesn't support the send to email command in Office programs. It also hides the storage location so it is hard to retrieve your mail data if something goes wrong.

So I guess nothing is perfect. If you don't need to sync Gmail accounts, or you are willing to use POP, things are easier.
Also, I don't think the problems I had are affecting everyone.

jogs

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 19, 2012
I have problems sending attachments in Thunderbird, apart from that its really nice.
There's also Essential PIM, it also works good. It even encrypts the local database.

Tiny

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Dec 29, 2016

This happens even when you create an app password for Thunderbird from your Google account security panel?

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Windows 10 mail doesn't support the send to email command in Office programs. It also hides the storage location so it is hard to retrieve your mail data if something goes wrong.

So I guess nothing is perfect. If you don't need to sync Gmail accounts, or you are willing to use POP, things are easier.
Also, I don't think the problems I had are affecting everyone.
Okay, but still curious what you're using as email app... I myself use Outlook 2016.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Okay, but still curious what you're using as email app... I myself use Outlook 2016.
I mostly use Gmail on the web, but I do like to have an offline copy of my data, too. The best solution I have found is Outlook 2016, and I try not to archive my important messages in Gmail, so they will get synced to Outlook.

Reactions: Gandalf_The_Grey

notabot

Level 15
Verified
Oct 31, 2018
Anything from the store that’s UWP.

No active content to worry about
AppContainer protects other apps from injections.

Create an exploit Guard profile for your app of choice and never worry about mail again

That said, I haven’t found any mail client that works with Google’s Advanced Protection

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.