Windows 10 version 2004 rollout imminent

LASER_oneXM

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
...yes, old or unsupported/not tested (by manufacturer) hardware might work fine for years... ...but IMO in this case you will always be at risk of (possibly) data losses... ...thats my only and my biggest fear when running W10 on this kind of hardware.

My third laptop is quite old (10+ years) and this model is officialy not compatible with W10 (by manufacturer). Therefore i decided to instal a (fully) compatible LINUX distribution soon to prevent (unpredicted) data losses or (unpredicted) crashes/bugs that might cause data losses months/years later.

• HaHa
Reactions: ForgottenSeer 85179

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
...but IMO in this case you will always be at risk of (possibly) data losses...
That's simply not true. If that was the case, then Microsoft would not have offered Windows 10 as a free upgrade to all Windows 7 and 8 users.

In very rare cases there will be some driver issues with old hardware and new builds of Windows 10. An example of this, is the case I posted about where I have video issues since upgrading to build 2004 on one of my laptops. But it is a 14 year old laptop and other than the video issues, everything else is working fine. Previous builds of Windows 10 ran very well on this old laptop.

L

Local Host

...yes, old or unsupported/not tested (by manufacturer) hardware might work fine for years... ...but IMO in this case you will always be at risk of (possibly) data losses... ...thats my only and my biggest fear when running W10 on this kind of hardware.

My third laptop is quite old (10+ years) and this model is officialy not compatible with W10 (by manufacturer). Therefore i decided to instal a (fully) compatible LINUX distribution soon to prevent (unpredicted) data losses or (unpredicted) crashes/bugs that might cause data losses months/years later.
Honestly that makes no sense, there's no data loss risk whatsoever, plus if you wanna talk support, OEMs do not support Linux Distros on most their products.

CyberTech

Level 44
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
In numerous reports to the Malwarebytes support forums since Windows 10 version 2004, the May 2020 Update, was released, users are reporting many problems with MBAM 4.1 installed.

These issues range from random freezes, general slowness, video stuttering, blue screen of death crashes (BSOD), or Windows 10 becoming unresponsive.
While not everyone running Windows 10 2004 seems to be affected, there are many requests for help related to this issue in their forums [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6] to indicate that there is a problem.

Some users have reported being able to resolve the issue when disabling Malwarebytes' 'Ransomware Protection' feature in Malwarebytes.

cryogent

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Oct 1, 2016
Same things happened to me on 1909, I don't think is related only on Windows 10 2004 version, I think they have a problem with the programming / optimization behind the application and how they use the resources or do not use them. And it wouldn't be the first time this has happened with MBAM...

I've upgraded 2 computers and one laptop to 2004, so far everything works ok.

Last edited:

codswollip

Level 23
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 29, 2017
I'm a bit confused ... The Win 2004 site says re: nVidia drivers... "You might have issues if you are using an Nvidia display adapter (GPU) and drivers with a version below 358.00."

I downloaded and installed "391.35-notebook-win10-64bit-international-whql", but checking Device Manager display adaptor shows me at version 23.

xsu9YHc.png

So I'm guessing those last 5 digits are related to the installer version I used. I don't remember how long I've been updating this driver, but I never noticed the version numbering like this.

L

Local Host

I'm a bit confused ... The Win 2004 site says re: nVidia drivers... "You might have issues if you are using an Nvidia display adapter (GPU) and drivers with a version below 358.00."

I downloaded and installed "391.35-notebook-Windows 10-64bit-international-whql", but checking Device Manager display adaptor shows me at version 23.

xsu9YHc.png

So I'm guessing those last 5 digits are related to the installer version I used. I don't remember how long I've been updating this driver, but I never noticed the version numbering like this.
You're confusing the driver version, with the suite version.

Device Manager only shows the driver version.

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
I don't understand this, actually, and never did. There's an explanation if you search online but it makes no sense why it would be displayed one way here and another way there, unless someone has an theory. Why display a version two different ways?

In NVIDIA Control Panel, it's naturally showing the driver version as you would see it listed on NVIDIA's download page.

It's also listed properly in Control Panel/Programs and Features. So to confirm what driver version I have, I just look there instead.

dmgraph.PNG

ctlpanel driver.PNG

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
I've upgraded three more computers. The upgrades completed with no issues on the first two computers. However on the final computer, after upgrading, Windows would freeze after booting. I booted from the installation flash drive and rolled back to 1909. It took under five minutes, due to the computer having a SSD and the computer is working again. I upgraded that computer manually, as the update was not yet available in Windows Update. After doing the roll back, build 2004 is now showing in Windows Update and I'm upgrading again, this time from Windows Update.

No doubt, I'll have the same result. But if it fails again, it's quick and easy to rollback.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Personally, I would wait a bit before upgrading to 2004:
Don't have those issues myself on the one laptop upgraded to 2004 in this household.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
Personally, I would wait a bit before upgrading to 2004:
Don't have those issues myself on the one laptop upgraded to 2004 in this household.
I don’t have these problems on either of my computers. I think people are quick to label the updates disastrous after the disappearing files fiasco, which actually did affect a large swath of Windows 10 users. Anytime a tech writer sees more than one person mention an issue it seems to give them license to write another article about an update disaster. This isn’t to say their updates don’t have issues, but It’s more of a lottery than a broad disaster most of the time.

L

Local Host

Apparently Microsoft is as well...
"You might have issues if you are using an Nvidia display adapter (GPU) and drivers with a version below 358.00."
I believe you even more confused, why would Microsoft use the device manager version in their issues page, only to confuse the casual users?

Reactions: [correlate]

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I'm facing microphone not working for my LG GRAM laptop and my MS SP3 Pro tablet after update to 2004.

Frankly speaking I did not test the mics before the update so not sure were they working then.

However, when I checked the display set at the store a while ago, which I bought my LG GRAM from, the mic works. The display set was still at 1909 version and the MS sound driver was an earlier version

Can somebody check and confirm? Thanks

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
I'm facing microphone not working for my LG GRAM laptop and my MS SP3 Pro tablet after update to 2004.

Frankly speaking I did not test the mics before the update so not sure were they working then.

However, when I checked the display set at the store a while ago, which I bought my LG GRAM from, the mic works. The display set was still at 1909 version and the MS sound driver was an earlier version

Can somebody check and confirm? Thanks
same, I reverted back to 1909 as soon as I realized the mic was not working although I installed the driver from the manufacture

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
same, I reverted back to 1909 as soon as I realized the mic was not working although I installed the driver from the manufacture
Thanks

Ok I have reset my laptop, the Windows is now 1903 and the mic works. I did roll back to 1909 but the mic didn't work. I did disable Cortana earlier on so not sure whether this affects the mic

I'll update to 1909 and then 2004 to see where the problem lies........meantime not installing any 3rd-party software

Last edited:

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
I'll update to 1909 and then 2004 to see where the problem lies........meantime not installing any 3rd-party software
If you have problems again, uninstall the Realtek High Definition Audio from Device Manager and check the option to remove the driver files, if asked. Then right click anywhere in Device Manager and select Scan for hardware changes, to make Windows install a sound driver again. If your mic is still not working, you will need to find a more recent Realtek HD Audio driver.

Last edited:

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
If you have problems again, uninstall the Realtek High Definition Audio from Device Manager and check the option to remove the driver files, if asked. Then right click anywhere in Device Manager and select Scan for hardware changes, to make Windows install a sound driver again. If your mic is still not working, you will need to find a more recent Realtek HD Audio driver.
Mine is not Realtek HD Audio driver. Mine is Synaptics SmartAudio HD and the latest then

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.