Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
What version is it?
IMG_20200625_145344.jpg

With Windows 1903 I'm getting

IMG_20200625_144740.jpg

I brought my set to LG for checking and they confimed the latest driver version is correct. Now I just need to update to 1909 first then see whether the problem is there. If no I'll update to 2004 and check again

Last edited:

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
I brought my set to LG for checking and they confimed the latest driver version is correct. Now I just need to update to 1909 first then see whether the problem is there. If no I'll update to 2004 and check again
The following driver from Lenovo should be more recent. It shouldn't matter that the driver was released by Lenovo.

Last edited:

CyberTech

Level 44
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
Microsoft has removed the setting allowing users to defer feature updates in Windows 10 2004 but still allows it to be configured via group policies for business versions.

Since Windows 10 version 1703, Microsoft has included a setting that allows users to defer the installation of feature updates for up to 365 days.

codswollip

Level 23
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 29, 2017

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
I just updated another computer, as build 2004 was now showing in Windows Update. This is a tablet and after upgrading, both the touchscreen and audio were not working. When I initially installed build 1909, it had been a bit of a hassle getting both of these working, as Windows is not able to install working drivers for these. Without the correct audio driver installed, the usual "Sound, video and game controllers" section is absent.

I was able to fix the issues by running the setup files in the subfolders of C:\SwSetup folder, which were still there from when I had originally installed the correct drivers. This is an HP tablet and when you run the driver installers they provide on their website, the contents get extracted to subfolders in C:\SwSetup so that they are there for later use. This was an easy to do, as I have keyboard dock, which although it doesn't have a touchpad, has USB ports, so I was able to plug in a mouse.

I presume that I will have the same issues, every time I upgrade to a new build, as no doubt once again, working drivers will be replaced with more recent drivers, which are not compatible with this tablet. For me it was a quick and easy fix, but I'm sure that for most users, it would cause some frustration, trying to get everything working again. On good thing however, is that when checking for updates, Windows Update doesn't find newer drivers to install - so it only happens when upgrading to new builds.

This is the second touchscreen computer I've used in recent months and with the other one, I also had to download and install some drivers to get the touchscreen working, after doing a clean install of Windows.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
I was having issues with one of my computers freezing after upgrading, which led me to roll back the update. Today I saw that build 2004 was now available in Windows Update for this computer. I upgraded again, in the hope that the issue with freezing had been resolved, but had the same result. However, I noticed that the hard drive LED was flashing from time to time, even though the keyboard and mouse were not working, indicating that the computer had not frozen. It turns out that after upgrading there is a driver issue which is causing all of the USB ports, as well as the PS/2 ports, not to function in Windows. I can use a USB or PS/2 keyboard to access the BIOS, but as soon as Windows starts to boot, the USB and PS/2 ports completely stop working. For example, when I am in the BIOS menu, the LED underneath my mouse glows, but as soon as Windows starts booting, the LED turns off. If I plug a mouse into any USB port when Windows has booted, the LED lights up for a split second, and then turns off again.

Since this is a desktop, without the USB and PS/2 ports working in Windows, I am unable to attempt to fix the problem. I presume that a clean install of Windows will fix the problem for now, but it would seem likely that the ports will stop working again when upgrading to a future build.

F

ForgottenSeer 72227

I was having issues with one of my computers freezing after upgrading, which led me to roll back the update. Today I saw that build 2004 was now available in Windows Update for this computer. I upgraded again, in the hope that the issue with freezing had been resolved, but had the same result. However, I noticed that the hard drive LED was flashing from time to time, even though the keyboard and mouse were not working, indicating that the computer had not frozen. It turns out that after upgrading there is a driver issue which is causing all of the USB ports, as well as the PS/2 ports, not to function in Windows. I can use a USB or PS/2 keyboard to access the BIOS, but as soon as Windows starts to boot, the USB and PS/2 ports completely stop working. For example, when I am in the BIOS menu, the LED underneath my mouse glows, but as soon as Windows starts booting, the LED turns off. If I plug a mouse into any USB port when Windows has booted, the LED lights up for a split second, and then turns off again.

Since this is a desktop, without the USB and PS/2 ports working in Windows, I am unable to attempt to fix the problem. I presume that a clean install of Windows will fix the problem for now, but it would seem likely that the ports will stop working again when upgrading to a future build.

It has to be immensely frustrating for sure. Yay fix one problem....booo another problem. A clean install may, or may not fix it, but it may be worth a try. TBH, when I upgrade Windows during major releases, I always do a clean install. I know it's not everyone's cup of tea, but in all the years I've been using W10, I have yet to run into any issues doing it this way. Maybe I'm lucky, but it seems there are far more issues with in place upgrades than doing a clean install, at least IMO. I know for some, they see it as a lot of work, but they way I look at it, either you spend a little more time 1 -2 times a year to do a clean install, or you do an inplace upgrade potentilly spending way more time troubleshooting/reverting then you would have doing a clean install. At least that's my reasoning for doing it this way and TBH it's been working for me.

Personally I think Windows just has way too much going on now a days for in-place upgrades to work properly. Too many variables, too many different software/hardware combos, versions of drivers, etc.... Lets face it, unless you go looking for driver updates, rarely do OEMs (PC manufactures) update their drivers for Windows. Even if someone like Intel, Nvidia, etc....have newer drivers, most OEMS (at least in my experience) don't update them for you. Many times you go to an OEMs site and the "newest" driver is from like 2017. Sometimes you may get a "newer" driver via Windows update, but not always. IMHO, I honestly think MS should assume responsibility for updating drivers. Hardware vendors release drivers, send it to MS, Windows update keeps everything up to date. Clearly the current system isn't working IMO.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
It has to be immensely frustrating for sure. Yay fix one problem....booo another problem. A clean install may, or may not fix it, but it may be worth a try. TBH, when I upgrade Windows during major releases, I always do a clean install. I know it's not everyone's cup of tea, but in all the years I've been using W10, I have yet to run into any issues doing it this way. Maybe I'm lucky, but it seems there are far more issues with in place upgrades than doing a clean install, at least IMO.
As a last ditch effort, I integrated chipset drivers to my 2004 flash drive with NTLite and upgraded again, with the same result. I then started doing a clean install, but stopped as soon as realised that the keyboard and mouse were not working again. Even a clean install won't work, so for now, this computer will be running build 1909, which works very well.

The majority of the time, I find that upgrades work fine. But on rare occasions I have had issues, such as having trouble getting some drivers working, even though the drivers work fine when doing a clean install. While a clean install is a better option, my experience from upgrading many computers, is that it usually is not needed. When Windows 10 was first released, I upgraded many Windows 7 computers, all of which had at least some issues. In just about every case, Windows 10 ran really well.

On computers that have major issues with Windows, I find that often, upgrades will fail to install. If the install has progressed far enough that it has started making changes to system, then the changes will be reverted and the computer will be left in the state that it was before upgrading, so at least nothing gets broken.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Just updated to Windows 2004 and the Synaptics SmartAudio HD driver version has been updated to 10.0.19041.1 and the mic is working fine now

Strange the update did not install Edge Chromium which it installed previously when I updated to Windows 2004..........maybe my Edge browser is still around. Previously I disabled Edge so maybe the Edge Chromium detected that and installed itself

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
You can now set the target Windows 10 version in professional editions

CyberTech

Level 44
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
AMD recently released 20.5.1 Adrenalin 2020 Edition suite of drivers to beta testers and this update is solely focused on providing proper support for the Windows 10 May 2020 Update, also known as version 2004 and 19041.

In the release notes, AMD states that its 20.5.1 Adrenalin driver adds support for hardware-accelerated graphics scheduling, but the kicker is that feature isn't available for all AMD GPUs.

The feature is currently available for Radeon RX 5600 and Radeon RX 5700 series graphics products only. For now, it appears that Ryzen or Vega owners will have to wait longer for Windows 10 May 2020 Update's best feature.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
After doing some more Googling about my issue with the USB and PS/2 ports not working, I came across a post from someone who had the same issue in the past. They had resolved it by installing remote access software before upgrading, so that they could access the computer remotely to resolve the issues after the upgrade had finished. I thought this was worth a try. I did another clean install of 1909, installed TeamViewer and configured it for unattended access, and then upgraded again.

However, I did not need to use TeamViewer, as Microsoft have now fixed the issue. After upgrading this time, the keyboard and mouse were still working. I'm guessing that since the issue is fixed now, it probably won't happen again with future builds. But if it does, I should be able to fix it.

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
After doing some more Googling about my issue with the USB and PS/2 ports not working, I came across a post from someone who had the same issue in the past. They had resolved it by installing remote access software before upgrading, so that they could access the computer remotely to resolve the issues after the upgrade had finished. I thought this was worth a try. I did another clean install of 1909, installed TeamViewer and configured it for unattended access, and then upgraded again.

However, I did not need to use TeamViewer, as Microsoft have now fixed the issue. After upgrading this time, the keyboard and mouse were still working. I'm guessing that since the issue is fixed now, it probably won't happen again with future builds. But if it does, I should be able to fix it.
So you find a workaround eventually that should probably work for your situation, only to find that Microsoft appear to have fixed the issue in the meantime. Oh well, its an experience you, and some others here, may be able to learn from for future MS OS issues!!

L

Local Host

That article is weird in lots of ways, AMD released 20.5.1 (along with Update 2004) over a month ago, as the driver number itself even confirms it.

The worst part is,
For now, it appears that Ryzen or Vega owners will have to wait longer for Windows 10 May 2020 Update's best feature.

What does Ryzen has to do with it, we talking GPUs, not CPUs.

CyberTech

Level 44
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
That article is weird in lots of ways, AMD released 20.5.1 (along with Update 2004) over a month ago, as the driver number itself even confirms it.

The worst part is,

What does Ryzen has to do with it, we talking GPUs, not CPUs.

Some articles as well :sneaky:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.