Well-known
Apr 24, 2016

amirr

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
"The preview updates are non-security in nature and designed for testing purposes (both for administrators but also Microsoft who collects Telemetry data). Most users should wait for the official release of these updates on the September 2020 Patch Tuesday."

amirr

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
I am having a hard time finding a post by @TairikuOkami where he mentioned how to disable the defrag task. Oh, I remembered it now. It was here:
1599224760636.png

So after updating to the update KB4571744, I can re-enable it, right?

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Did you personally update it or you will wait?
I am updating it now.
Personally, I'm on the latest beta build that already has those fixes: version 20H2, build 19042.487.

I am having a hard time finding a post by @TairikuOkami where he mentioned how to disable the defrag task. Oh, I remembered it now. It was here:
View attachment 245920

Yes, you can reenable it.

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
People report some discrepancies though, like it is fixed in the GUI, but event logs show, it failed, so it tries to run again.
But I do not watch the issue closely, since I have it disabled. I prefer to use a tool provided by the manufacturer to trim.
Code:
reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Dfrg\BootOptimizeFunction" /v "Enable" /t REG_SZ /d "y" /f
reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\OptimalLayout" /v "EnableAutoLayout" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Defrag\ScheduledDefrag" /Enable
sc config defragsvc start= demand

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Since when/ how long did you use insider builds?
I moved to insider at the end of July to see the improved start menu and see if some bugs present in 2004 were resolved.
The optimize drives bug was fixed in the beta channel first and now as preview in 2004.
I will go back to stable when 20H2 will be released this fall.

amirr

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
People report some discrepancies though, like it is fixed in the GUI, but event logs show, it failed, so it tries to run again.
But I do not watch the issue closely, since I have it disabled. I prefer to use a tool provided by the manufacturer to trim.
Thank you so much. SSDs don't need to be defragged. I have an SDD and HDD. I never used the company's defrag utility.
I will keep it disabled as you said and will wait for more to re-enable it again.

Reactions: TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Did you install it? I ask this because of its a preview. And now listed as an Optional update.
Yes, I like the latest everything. Besides, Microsoft updates are always experimental, so at least beta updates fix known issues. A good quote:
BAU said:
Scientists baffled at Microsoft's ability to f**k up every.single.version.even.the.fake.ones
Broken here as well. Tried a few tricks, no success.
In-place upgrade fail. It works in 20H1.

GIF made by Enthousiast

Jan Willy

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 5, 2019
Code:
reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Dfrg\BootOptimizeFunction" /v "Enable" /t REG_SZ /d "y" /f
reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\OptimalLayout" /v "EnableAutoLayout" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Defrag\ScheduledDefrag" /Enable
sc config defragsvc start= demand
Very confusing. After the update it seems well:
1599234482457.png

But nevertheless event id. 267 is logged:
The storage optimiser couldn’t complete re-trim on Data D because: The operation requested is not supported by the hardware backing the volume. (0x8900002A)
In my case it concerns only the hard disk drive. No event 267 related to the SSD (which only gets trimmed, not defragged).

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Can anyone expand on this? Since moving to 2009, I have Microsoft-issued sound drivers. For the most part, sound is OK but at times there is obvious muting in certain scenarios, plus the quality isn't all that hot, so that requires periodic adjusting in Control Panel/Sounds. I don't have Dolby but do have OpenAL, a great little app for my Creative Labs speakers. That improves things more than anything but it's not at pre-2009 quality. My sound card should be better on my ASUS than my prev. Z170 board but sound is now a bit worse in quality.

I've turned off all Enhancements, set Windows to do nothing (default is mute background sounds by 80% which is ghastly) and just about everything should be pretty much at defaults. But here's the clunker: Trying to download the Realtek drivers will take up to 2 hours it's at like 20 kb/minute form the server. Aborted that pronto! (n) I mean, would this be worth it? Used to be just some seconds.

Any comments on this, or observations? Again, the sound on here is OK but could be better. Maybe I should get a new sound card. :rolleyes:

amirr

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
Can anyone expand on this? Since moving to 2009, I have Microsoft-issued sound drivers. For the most part, sound is OK but at times there is obvious muting in certain scenarios, plus the quality isn't all that hot, so that requires periodic adjusting in Control Panel/Sounds. I don't have Dolby but do have OpenAL, a great little app for my Creative Labs speakers. That improves things more than anything but it's not at pre-2009 quality. My sound card should be better on my ASUS than my prev. Z170 board but sound is now a bit worse in quality.

I've turned off all Enhancements, set Windows to do nothing (default is mute background sounds by 80% which is ghastly) and just about everything should be pretty much at defaults. But here's the clunker: Trying to download the Realtek drivers will take up to 2 hours it's at like 20 kb/minute form the server. Aborted that pronto! (n) I mean, would this be worth it? Used to be just some seconds.

Any comments on this, or observations? Again, the sound on here is OK but could be better. Maybe I should get a new sound card. :rolleyes:
Do you have this Z170-A | Motherboards | ASUS USA ?

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Microsoft releases Windows 10 build 19041.508, 18363.1082 - here's what's new:
Today is the second Tuesday of the month, making it Patch Tuesday. And that means that all supported versions of Windows are getting updates. For Windows 10, that still means all versions except for one, version 1511.

For those that are on the latest version of Windows 10, version 2004, and also for Insiders on 20H2, you'll get KB4571756, bringing the build number to 19041.508 and 19042.508, respectively. You can manually download it here, and these are the highlights:
  • Updates to improve security when using input devices (such as a mouse, keyboard, or pen).
  • Updates to improve security when Windows performs basic operations.
  • Updates for storing and managing files.
  • Updates to improve security when using Microsoft Office products.
Here's the full list of fixes:
  • Addresses an issue with a possible elevation of privilege in windowmanagement.dll.
  • Addresses a security vulnerability issue with user proxies and HTTP-based intranet servers. After installing this update, HTTP-based intranet servers cannot leverage a user proxy by default to detect updates. Scans using these servers will fail if the clients do not have a configured system proxy. If you must leverage a user proxy, you must configure the behavior using the Windows Update policy “Allow user proxy to be used as a fallback if detection using system proxy fails.” This change does not affect customers who secure their Windows Server Update Services (WSUS) servers with the Transport Layer Security (TLS) or Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) protocols. For more information, see Ensuring clients stay secure, changes to scans against Windows Server Update Service (WSUS) servers.
  • Security updates to Windows App Platform and Frameworks, Microsoft Graphics Component, Windows Input and Composition, Windows Media, Windows Shell, Windows Cloud Infrastructure, Windows Fundamentals, Windows Management, Windows Kernel, Windows Virtualization, Windows Storage and Filesystems, the Microsoft Scripting Engine, and the Microsoft JET Database Engine.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.