New Update Windows Defender Application Guard Extension for Google Chrome and Firefox

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
If I correctly understood, then this extension in the Standalone mode should not check any websites. It simply should allow the user running manually the URL via Edge (in a virtual environment) from Chrome or Firefox. I used Application Control for Edge some time ago, and the Edge was slightly slower.
Kinda from what I get. When this is enabled edge runs in this "protected" mode and these new extensions give you the ability to go send a website to edge and open with that.

Reactions: Andy Ful

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
@Andy Ful

Thanks for the answers, this sort of answers my question on the practical value for personal use. Att the moment when home users want to go into dodging browsing they can switch to Edge using sand-boxing and virtualization.

The whitelist has value for corporate users, they could automatically switch to virtualization when using their PC to visit not-whitelisted corporate websites. But it is offering ' mustard after the meal' as we say in Dutch, meaning that most large companies already have policies in place to deal with risky PC usage.

At the moment, most large companies in the Netherlands have a clause in their labor agreement in which they promise to use their company PC in a wise and respectful way in compliance with the norms and values of that large company. Many labor agreements of large companies contain the clause that you will be fired when you don't comply with these conditions.

So also for corporate use it has limited value in the Netherlands is my guess (maybe only critical infrastructure companies and governmental bodies).
With this feature, Microsoft is offering these companies what it thinks is a better and more secure way to do what they are already doing.
I suppose this feature could also replace Sandboxie for browsers, but I seriously doubt that Sandboxie enthusiasts will give up their cherished software, especially if it means falling into the evil clutches of a Microsoft browser.

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
I suppose this feature could also replace Sandboxie for browsers, but I seriously doubt that Sandboxie enthusiasts will give up their cherished software, especially if it means falling into the evil clutches of a Microsoft browser.

Times have decisively changed! :cool:

But, 6 months later, the extension still doesn't install on Home OS. The requirements are in #3 snip after floundering around but then you're assured this should "work" on the installer page. Wow, a little disappointing and irritating. Not jumping thru hoops w/PowerShell plus now there's an ad for a new version "new cross-platform PowerShell." You can see this in PS snip below. (n) The OS requirements are very convoluted to get, this should be on the Store download page! Is anyone running this extension in Windows 10 Home? Shoot, I was hoping for another tiny extension, versus a more bulky software like Shadow Defender--the flag for isolating pdf is missing from Edge.dev.

wdag req.PNG

pswdag.PNG

system os.PNG

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.