Windows Repair Toolbox - Have you tried it?

AlexCa

From Windows Repair Toolbox
Verified
Developer
Apr 30, 2016
Hello everyone, I've just released version 3.0.1.9 of Windows Repair Toolbox. Here’s what has changed:

### Added

- Added Sysinternals "Process Monitor" to the "Useful Tools" section.

- Added "Webroot System Analyzer" to the "Final Tests" tab, replacing "Kaspersky System Checker". It's the button named "Quick Check".

### Changed

- Replaced the ".AVI" test with the ".MP4" test, in the "Final Tests" section.

### Removed

- Removed "Kaspersky System Checker". Even though this tool has been officially discontinued last year, it was still receiving updates until very recently. Now it seems that it has been definitely put down (the download link stopped working).

Thank you.

AlexCa

Verified
Developer
Apr 30, 2016
I've just released another version (3.0.2.0) of Windows Repair Toolbox in order to address two bugs I've found meanwhile.

###Fixed
- Due to a change in the way the program "CloneApp" (in the "Backup & Recovery" section) is zipped, WRT was no longer being able to run it.
- The program "Don't Sleep" (in the "Useful Tools" section) wasn't running on 32-bits Windows versions.

I'm sorry for the successive update. Thank you.

strumdrum

Level 1
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
This tool is great. Very helpful and streamlined. Thank you for this. I may have found a bug (or I’m doing something wrong). I selected the programs I wished to have downloaded/updated. But when I click update it still downloads everything. Again, I may be missing something.

AlexCa

Verified
Developer
Apr 30, 2016
@strumdrum
Thank you, I'm glad you enjoy it!

I've tested, but haven't been able to reproduce the issue you describe. I also made this video, maybe you can spot something different? Running_Update_All.mp4

Although I don't think is very likely, maybe it's because the program always displays sequentially all the tabs that it gave you the impression that it downloaded everything from each?

Last edited:

strumdrum

Level 1
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
@AlexCa

Thanks for the video as it confirmed I was doing it correctly. I can confirm by looking at the downloads folder that every program was downloaded so I'm not going crazy. However, I can't seem to reproduce the problem either.

For context, I had originally unzipped the file to my downloads folder on my C drive and opened the program. I then downloaded a couple of antimalware software by clicking on them (not by using the download/update tool). I then decided it was a good helpful tool and copied the unzipped folder to my USB drive.

I haven't followed all of these same steps to try and reproduce the problem so I may do that later.

AlexCa

Verified
Developer
Apr 30, 2016
@AlexCa

Thanks for the video as it confirmed I was doing it correctly. I can confirm by looking at the downloads folder that every program was downloaded so I'm not going crazy. However, I can't seem to reproduce the problem either.

For context, I had originally unzipped the file to my downloads folder on my C drive and opened the program. I then downloaded a couple of antimalware software by clicking on them (not by using the download/update tool). I then decided it was a good helpful tool and copied the unzipped folder to my USB drive.

I haven't followed all of these same steps to try and reproduce the problem so I may do that later.

Thank you, I'll try to do that too.

After you moved the folder to the USB Drive, did you go to the "Settings" tab, and to the "Update All" settings, in order to select just a few tools? Because by default all tools are selected. Here:
update_all_settings.png

Or did you made your selection by using these checkboxes in the "Malware Removal" tab? These:
malware_removal_tab.PNG

Because If it was this second case, it's explained: these checkboxes are only for the "Run Unattended" functionality. They have no effect in the "Update All" settings (in the "Settings" tab). So even if you have selected only a few tools in the "Malware Removal" tab, all tools would be downloaded when you clicked on the "Update All", in the "Settings" tab.

strumdrum

Level 1
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
@AlexCa

Yes, I unselected everything then selected a few preferred AntiMalware programs from the settings icon next to “update all”. After running the update I saw it going through the process of downloading all the programs. I then stopped the download and went back to settings thinking there must be a “apply” or “save” option that I missed in the settings. I made sure my selections were still there and tried again. It did the same thing so I just let the download go until it was done.

I haven’t tried any further to recreate this but may have time tomorrow.

AlexCa

Verified
Developer
Apr 30, 2016
@AlexCa

Yes, I unselected everything then selected a few preferred AntiMalware programs from the settings icon next to “update all”. After running the update I saw it going through the process of downloading all the programs. I then stopped the download and went back to settings thinking there must be a “apply” or “save” option that I missed in the settings. I made sure my selections were still there and tried again. It did the same thing so I just let the download go until it was done.

I haven’t tried any further to recreate this but may have time tomorrow.

I've just tested doing the same as you did (download WRT to the downloads folder, unzip, run some anti-malware applications, close WRT, copy the extracted WRT folder to a pendrive, select only a few programs from the "Settings" tab, and click "Update All"), and it worked fine, it only downloaded the programs I selected. The only explanation I can think of is that, for some reason, the settings you selected didn't got saved (it should have trow an error in that case though). If eventually you're able to recreate it please let me know. Thank you.

AlexCa

Verified
Developer
Apr 30, 2016
Hi all, I've just released version 2.0.2.1 of Windows Repair Toolbox. Here's what's changed:

### Added
- Added a link to NoMoreRansom.org, in the "Malware Removal" tab.

### Changed
- The "Email where you wish to receive the log", in the "Settings" tab, is now a saved setting. This means that it will not be deleted after a program restart, and that it will also be exported when you use the "Backup" functionality, or when you upgrade Windows Repair Toolbox using the built-in functionality.

- Centered the "Update All" settings and the "Set password" window in relation to the Windows Repair Toolbox main window and not in relation to the screen.

### Fixed
- If new tools where introduced in a new version of Windows Repair Toolbox, after upgrading to that new version (using the built-in upgrade mechanism), the "Update All" settings would not save the settings regarding those new tools.

- It was possible to open more than one "Update All" settings window at the same time.

Important note regarding Emsisoft Emergency Kit:
There's currently a bug with Emsisoft Emergency Kit (un-related to Windows Repair Toolbox), that makes it very difficult to delete the folder it creates after being used. Consequently, Windows Repair Toolbox cannot delete it too. When you click the "Clear Downloads" button in the "Settings" tab, you'll receive an error related to "epp.sys". You will also not be able to delete it manually, not even after a computer restart.

I've reported this and has been confirmed by Emsisoft in their forum and also through their (great, btw) support: [solved] Cannot delete EEK folder (epp.sys)

If this happens to you (a circumstance where it will not happen, is if the epp.sys driver is already loaded on a system), these are the steps to follow:

1 - Run cmd as administrator;

2 - type sc stop epp and press Enter;

3 - type sc delete epp and press Enter;

4 - Restart the computer (if running Windows 10 make sure to choose "Restart" and not "Shutdown")

5 - delete the EEK folder.

As always, if you have suggestions to improve the program, or bugs to report, please let me know.

Thank you!

Last edited:

strumdrum

Level 1
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
@AlexCa

I have a request. I love that the custom tools section allows me to add my own tools. However, many tools have multiple .exe files in their respective folder. For example, when I try to add Wise Care 365 portable, it adds no less than 10 .exe and reg files to the list. I only need one of those (the main launcher exe). Is there a way to hide entries from the list?

AlexCa

Verified
Developer
Apr 30, 2016
@AlexCa

I have a request. I love that the custom tools section allows me to add my own tools. However, many tools have multiple .exe files in their respective folder. For example, when I try to add Wise Care 365 portable, it adds no less than 10 .exe and reg files to the list. I only need one of those (the main launcher exe). Is there a way to hide entries from the list?

Currently there's not, I'll try to find a solution for that. Thank you for the suggestion!

AlexCa

Verified
Developer
Apr 30, 2016
Important note regarding Emsisoft Emergency Kit:
There's currently a bug with Emsisoft Emergency Kit (un-related to Windows Repair Toolbox), that makes it very difficult to delete the folder it creates after being used. Consequently, Windows Repair Toolbox cannot delete it too. When you click the "Clear Downloads" button in the "Settings" tab, you'll receive an error related to "epp.sys". You will also not be able to delete it manually, not even after a computer restart.

I've reported this and has been confirmed by Emsisoft in their forum and also through their (great, btw) support: [solved] Cannot delete EEK folder (epp.sys)

If this happens to you (a circumstance where it will not happen, is if the epp.sys driver is already loaded on a system), these are the steps to follow:

1 - Run cmd as administrator;

2 - type sc stop epp and press Enter;

3 - type sc delete epp and press Enter;

4 - Restart the computer (if running Windows 10 make sure to choose "Restart" and not "Shutdown")

5 - delete the EEK folder.

As always, if you have suggestions to improve the program, or bugs to report, please let me know.

Thank you!

Hey guys, it's just to let you know that Emsisoft already fixed the bug described above (received a response from support, and just tested it).

Last edited:

AlexCa

Verified
Developer
Apr 30, 2016
Hello everyone, I've just released version 2.0.2.3 of Windows Repair Toolbox.

This release fixes and improves several things already exiting in the software (no new functionalities so) and changes the target framework of the project to .NET Framework 4.5. This was necessary since, through the time, lots of websites stopped supporting TLS 1.0.

Windows XP and Vista are no longer supported. Windows XP doesn't support .NET 4.5. Windows Vista supports it but doesn't support TLS 1.2 by default. There was also a crescent number of programs in the toolbox that would no longer work in those OS's.

Here's what's changed:

### Fixed
- An "Access Denied" message would be shown while closing WRT if Windows Repair AIO tray icon was active.

- The Microsoft Safety Scanner download, in the "Malware Removal" tab, would frequently fail.

- Several other internal improvements and fixes.

### Changed
- WRT now targets .NET Framework 4.5, to support TLS 1.2.

- In the "Malware Removal" tab, replaced Zemana with Malwarebytes.

- Updated the CPU temperature monitor.

### Removed
- Removed support for Windows XP and Windows Vista.

Thank you!

Last edited:

AlexCa

Verified
Developer
Apr 30, 2016
Hi everyone, I've just released version 3.0.2.4 of Windows Repair Toolbox.

Here's what's changed:

### Added
- Upgraded the "AV Leftovers" functionality into a full application that I named "Antivirus Removal Tool" (it's now in the "Uninstallers" section). Besides helping to identify what Antivirus programs were installed in the past, the program will now also provide the official dedicated uninstallers (29 Antivirus programs are supported). Here's a screenshot:

Antivirus_Removal_Tool.png

- Added a shortcut to Ninite.com website (button "Ninite", in the "Useful Tools" section).

### Changed
- In the "Final Tests" tab, replaced "BrowserCheck" with a Speakers test.

- In the "Final Tests" tab, replaced "CrowdInspect" with a Keyboard and Mouse test.

- In the "Uninstallers" tab, replaced "AV Uninstall Tools Pack" with "Antivirus Removal Tool".

Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:

AlexCa

Verified
Developer
Apr 30, 2016
Hello everyone, I've just released a version 3.0.2.5.

Here's what's changed:

### Added
- For the "Windows" groupbox of the "Tools" tab, created two small console applications: "CHKDSK" and "DISM\sfc". "CHKDSK" allows to quickly run the most used chkdsk commands, and "DISM\sfc" the most used DISM and SFC commands. Here's a screenshot:
DISM-sfc.jpg

CHKDSK.jpg

- In the "Windows" groupbox of the "Tools" tab, added the "TaskManager" and "DiskCleanup" buttons.
"TaskManager" opens Windows Task Manager. "DiskCleanup" opens Windows Disk Clean-Up. On Windows 10 it will open the "Storage" settings.

### Fixed
- Main window of WRT was being chopped off at the bottom in computers using low display resolution settings. This problem affected the last three versions of WRT. Thanks to the user Ken Knowles for reporting.

- Updated the download link for Eset Online Scanner, in the "Custom Tools" tab. Thanks to the user Beran for reporting.

### Removed
- In the "Windows" groupbox of the "Tools" tab, removed the "chkdsk c:", "chkdsk c: /r", "sfc /verifyonly" and "sfc /scannow" buttons.

Thank you!

AlexCa

Verified
Developer
Apr 30, 2016
Hello everyone,

An updated version of Windows Repair Toolbox has been released, version 3.0.2.6.

### Fixed
- Due to a change in the way Emsisoft Emergency Kit is packed, WRT was no longer being able to run it.

- Due to a change in the update link, WRT was no longer being able to check for new versions of RogueKiller.

### Changed
- Some minor internal updates and changes.

Thank you!

AlexCa

Verified
Developer
Apr 30, 2016
Hello everyone,

An updated version of Windows Repair Toolbox has been released, version 3.0.2.7.

### Fixed
- Nirlaucher download.
- Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool execution in unattended mode (had stopped working due to a change in one of the supported parameters).

### Changed
- Replaced Vipre Rescue Scanner (software discontinued) with ESET Online Scanner, in the "Malware Removal" tab.
- Replaced Flash Player with a screen tearing test in the "Final Tests" tab.
- Several other internal updates and fixes.

### Removed
- Removed Windows Repair from the "Run Unattended" functionality.
- Removed Flash Player from the "Update" groupbox.

Thank you!

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.