Troubleshoot Windows shut down

Sharonp

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Oct 28, 2014
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
I went to turn my computer on and at first the mouse pointer did not work, so I unplugged it and restarted it in normal windows and a screen came up very quickly with a bunch of numbers and it said shutting windows down. It was so quick I did not have an opportunity to even read it. After that when I turned it on the windows screen did not come up. Prior to this happening I had been getting messages that windows was counterfeit, that started happening after the last time I used your suggestions to get rid of dll.com virus. I figured it was not a problem because i could not afford to buy another windows. However, I did not even realize my windows product key was on a sticker on the back of my computer. The only other thing that I did the night before prior to the windows shutting down was to download some funny, ugly images of babies.
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
Nothing, I tried to get support from Microsoft but I have not had the time for that.
I came here before and my issue was solved and I need help again, to see what I can do from my home because I had to go out and rent a computer. I also lost my data, but that is my fault.

jim lin

Level 8
Aug 6, 2012
it would help to know what kind of pc this is and what OS it has

you say you have been helped before with this pc and it had a virus before and now the pc say's " windows was counterfeit" and you found
the COA sticker "my windows product key was on a sticker on the back of my computer"

it could be wise to just restore the computer to get it back to working order

if this pc has a restore partition with the factory restore partition on it

it can be a easy restore but read first at the computers manufacturer web site for help on how to do it

if the pc has no restore partition and no way of restoring but still has the COA sticker on it you can find the right Windows OS and download the right one from info here

http://malwaretips.com/threads/windows-downloads-for-all-operating-systems.39213/

the download is a iso burn that to a disc then use it to install windows after that go to the manufacturer and get drivers for the pc if you can not get them other ways

if this computer has a counterfeit copy of Windows i'm not sure how much more help i can be because i think it is against forum rules to help with that kind of thing

:)

James

Upvote 0

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Can you give us the following information.
Laptop or Desktop
Brand name of PC and model #
Windows OS(XP,Vista,7SP 1,8.1)
32 or 64 bit Os
Your system specs(HDD,RAM,Graphics card,Processor)
Security software installed if any

Can you boot the computer at all right now? Even to get the counterfeit message

You were previously infected,this was mitigated already?

Did you download the Pictures from a reputable site?

Seems to me that you might have become infected again downloading funny,ugly images of babies

Reactions: tallorder
Upvote 0

Sharonp

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Oct 28, 2014
Can you give us the following information.
Laptop or Desktop
Brand name of PC and model #
Windows OS(XP,Vista,7SP 1,8.1)
32 or 64 bit Os
Your system specs(HDD,RAM,Graphics card,Processor)
Security software installed if any

Can you boot the computer at all right now? Even to get the counterfeit message

You were previously infected,this was mitigated already?

Did you download the Pictures from a reputable site?

Seems to me that you might have become infected again downloading funny,ugly images of babies

1. It has a petition for restore, I am pretty sure, because I can restore it without a disc.

2. OS Windows 7 64bit

3. Laptop Compaq Presario A900

4. Link to previous thread I had

http://malwaretips.com/threads/com-surrogate.36171/

5. When I start the computer it comes on very quickly, but the screen remains black. There is not any message.

6. Processer is a Intel Pentium dual core

7. What message I was getting After, I did everything the thread talks about to fix my computer, the last time. I began getting a message saying that the windows running on my computer was counterfeit. I never went to solve that, because I thought, I might have to purchase another OS. I did not realize, I had the key on a sticker on the back of the computer. I never resolved that issue.

8. Yesterday morning, I turned my computer on and a message came up saying it was shutting Windows down and I have not been able to get it to run.

9. I mentioned the images because, I downloaded them the night before, and they could have had a virus maybe? I downloaded it from the image search page

10. After, I had problems with the computer the last time, I downloaded a free trial to AVG, and I thought I still had that. I had MalwareBytes also. I had not upgraded it because that message has only come up for a couple of days.

I should have paid attention to the messages and upgraded my protection. I did not know, I could get a year plan so cheaply.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Can you restore your system from the recovery partition?

You can use Avast Free Antivirus and use Sandboxie free.Browsing within the sandbox would be advisable

Upvote 0

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Does entering the license key which will be found at the back of your laptop works already?

Seems due to outskirt problems try to do a factory settings.

Upvote 0

Sharonp

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Oct 28, 2014
I can not get the screen to do anything, I tried the f8 and that does not work. I am not getting any message on the screen. I also went to the hp website and it said to drain the power by unplugging and holding the power button down, then I restarted it and nothing changed. The computer comes on and shuts down after a few seconds, then I have to press the power button again. I hear the fan briefly go on as if it wants to start but then nothing but there are some lights on, like the wireless key, and the part where you use the pad instead of the mouse.
As I was reading on the Hp site it did mention something might be loose. I turn my laptop upside down and shake it to clean the keys. Can something be loose, because I just did that, the day before it shut down, but it did not shut off after I did it.

I do not know how to system restore without being able to boot the windows.

Upvote 0

Sharonp

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Oct 28, 2014
I have actually taken a computer hardware and software course at the University of Phoenix. I still have access to many books and labs sims. I think, I should be able to look to see if anything is loose. So, I am going to try to do that at least unscrew the panel.

Upvote 0

Koroke San

Level 29
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
So u even can't see ur MOBO splash screen during boot? Can u get in BIOS? Or u mean when u boot ur PC it turns on for few seconds & close itself? Did u tried another charger ? If not then remove ur battery & connect it with another charger & make sure laptop power jack & charger plug are not loosed.

Upvote 0

Sharonp

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Oct 28, 2014
I do not see a MOBO splash screen. I tried to put a different hard drive in the computer but that did not do anything. Isn't windows stored on the hard drive?

What is going on now.
1. I took the hard drive from a older compaq laptop, I had and put it in the bad computer, it would not start.
2. I put the hard drive from the bad computer and put it into the older Compaq, it restored windows on the hard drive and it booted up the other computer.
3. I then put the restored hard drive back into the bad computer, but it still did not start.
4. I only have one power cord that fits that computer, and the light under the start button comes on and the light under the wireless key comes on, plus a light near the mouse pad comes on also.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Sharonp

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Oct 28, 2014
The modem board does not separate I don't think. I got into the computer and the fan goes on but that is all. Right now I have the mother board out of it. I am pretty frustrated, and not sure what to do right now. I bought the computer from someone and they did not purchase it new. Which means I do not know the history of it, and that makes me question what to do next. The other laptop that I have, I did buy that. It works but the picture on the monitor rolls and I have to wiggle the power cord on it so it works. I am never buying a Compaq again. Aren't they HP though? do they have all the same components? They get hot, and that makes me wonder if the heat might have caused a problem because the vent of the fan has dust.
I have heard of people hooking regular monitors to a laptop, maybe I should try that. My grandson is coming to visit so I won't be able to do anything for a couple days.
I really want a desktop, but I can not afford that now. I hear of people upgrading used ones they buy or come across.

Upvote 0

Sharonp

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Oct 28, 2014
I have one question, if I replace the mother board will that fix my computer? The hard drive works, and windows is back on there. I am not very good working with the small wires and parts. So, trying to remove part of the mother board to see if that is the problem is hard for me to do. This is a picture of the one I have.

Attachments

• 4351_HP-610-Compaq-CQ510-Intel-Motherboard-538407-001--CPU_1.JPG
    4351_HP-610-Compaq-CQ510-Intel-Motherboard-538407-001--CPU_1.JPG
    336 KB · Views: 1,081
Upvote 0

Paul B.

Level 4
Verified
Dec 21, 2014
There are two premilimary things you should do.

The first is blow out the dust in the convection fins. This may be why the machine shut down in the first place. Compressed air is best for this. You can get it in a can if you don't have a compressor.

Then clean and reseat the RAM. If you don't have contact cleaner, you can use a pencil eraser, but be sure to blow all the debris away before reseating the RAM.

Upvote 0

Sharonp

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Oct 28, 2014
I am working on reseating the Ram, just wanted to let all of you know. I might take a day or so because I am busy.

Upvote 0

Sharonp

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Oct 28, 2014
I don't think that worked, the computer did not go to boot. I have another laptop and I think I will start another thread for that one. It works but the monitor screws up.

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.