Troubleshoot Windows startup trouble - random PC booting after each pressing of the Power button

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
PC won't restart from GUI, needs multiple attempts to start after shutdown
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
Ran sfc /scannow and DISM, disabled Intel Management Engine, uninstalled security softs and recovery app, deleted and merged partitions.
I need to clean install Windows 10 but I'm having trouble entering BIOS to change the boot order > USB. Is it possible to clean install W10 using MCT's setup.exe? :unsure: It looks to me like it only allows an in-place install with options to keep apps & files, files only or nothing at all. I've never clean installed Windows before but I'd prefer to as this would be the best option so I can wipe my entire disk.I'm not certain I can do this without entering BIOS, etc. TIA (y):)

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
I wonder if this is a hardware problem? :unsure:
I don't know, possible, can also be a driver problem.
You can try to install the Intel chipset drivers from the support site of your laptop/computer:
If your laptop is the Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E531 I would install Lenovo System Update and install all offered updates/drivers/programs.
My daughters laptop is a E530C and Lenovo System Update did install some (I believe) chipset drivers and we have no problems with startup etc. on the latest windows version. If needed I can check what we have installed by Lenovo System Update.

If that doesn't work disable fast startup of windows and see if that solves your problem:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
I'm not sure if it will be helpful, but it is my experience.

■ Clean installation using MCT continued to fail, so we used ISO directly downloaded.
■ Perform clean of disk part instead of installation format, and set mbr again

For older pc, the difference between mbr and gpt seems to affect the installation.

Upvote 0

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
I'm not sure if it will be helpful, but it is my experience.

■ Clean installation using MCT continued to fail, so we used ISO directly downloaded.
■ Perform clean of disk part instead of installation format, and set mbr again

For older pc, the difference between mbr and gpt seems to affect the installation.

I understand your point #1

I don't know how to do point #2.

Thank you. I must learn more!

Upvote 0

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
I hope it's a useful reference.;)

Note:
Even in the case of "DVD old BIOS compatible boot" in the UEFI mother, there is a part that is described as "old BIOS" for convenience. If you want to install with UEFI mother + MBR, you need to read the following information as needed.

It is not a new HDD / SSD.
If you boot the DVD with UEFI Mother,
Do not GPT format on Windows.
Format HDD / SSD for system in GPT format.
It can not be installed on a conventional MBR type Disk.
When formatted as a data drive in the past, it can not be used as a drive for installation unless it is initialized from the WinRE environment such as installation media
Disks formatted on another PC may not be usable for installation.
For old BIOS mother / For old BIOS boot of DVD with UEFI mother
Format HDD / SSD for system in MBR format.
It can not be installed on GPT HDDs / SSDs.
System file of previous OS remains
I used that disk as a dynamic disk before.
When GPT formatting, I do not follow the fixed idiom, and I cut the partition in my way
In the case of a special format Disk, or if you mistake the MBR and GPT disk, the above procedure may fail to delete the partition or leave invisible system files, and may not install Windows properly.

In such a case, use the DISKPART command from the command prompt to make the HDD / SSD completely clear.

How to handle using DISKPART
Perform the following steps from the installation media, Emergency Repair Disk, recovery drive, etc. (Do not execute from the started Windows)
Use the command prompt of the installation media.

Enter the following command on the command prompt

diskpart ... ... DISK PART start of DISK management tool
List the list disk ···· attached disk (number verification purposes of the disk)
select disk 0 ・ ・ ・ ・ ※ When the target Disk is disk 0 (according to its own environment)
clean ..... Make the disk clean
convert gpt ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ Convert the disk to GPT format ※ In case of UEFI boot
convert mbr · · · · · · · convert the disk to MBR format ※ in the case of the old BIOS / when the old BIOS boot in UEFI
exit ..... Exit DISKPART

Note
Avoid command prompt operation on Windows as much as possible.
Operate from the installation media command prompt.
Do not format at this stage.
When operating from the command prompt on Windows, perform DISKPART in MBR format even for GPT installation. And formatting is never done.
Even when using third-party cloning tools, there are cases where DISKPART is executed in MBR format.

If you have executed this far, exit the command prompt with an "X" mark and it is OK.

Click "Refresh"

Upvote 0

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
The other thing I tried but failed to mention: Remove battery + Unplug power > Hold Start button 30 seconds. No improvement.

Hmmmm..... seems like you are stuck.

That can be frustrating.... I know.

But you ARE in just the right place to be stuck.

We just need to call attention to this thread to some of the MT technical smart guys.

Everybody's knowledge base for computers is different... so it's hard to know who has expertise in this exact area...

... but maybe @Nightwalker, @Windows_Security, @roger_m, @TairikuOkami, @Andy Ful can take a look, and add input or recommend another smart-guy MT participant.

Upvote 0

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Hmmmm..... seems like you are stuck.

That can be frustrating.... I know.

But you ARE in just the right place to be stuck.

We just need to call attention to this thread to some of the MT technical smart guys.

Everybody's knowledge base for computers is different... so it's hard to know who has expertise in this exact area...

... but maybe @Nightwalker, @Windows_Security, @roger_m, @TairikuOkami, @Andy Ful can take a look, and add input or recommend another smart-guy MT participant.

Thanks for linking those guys for me. Actually, I'm not frustrated because I've learned quite a bit from this experience. This is life: sometimes it just requires trying different things and running into roadblocks, only to see a way through. The restart issue is no doubt a PITA but at least my laptop is bootable, albeit with a little effort. (y):X3:

P.S to @Gandalf_The_Grey - I downloaded and used Lenovo System Update as you advised, to no avail.

Upvote 0
F

ForgottenSeer 72227

It's a head scratcher for sure.:unsure:

If it's just started I wonder if a recent Windows update is causing the issue?:unsure:

One thing I want to clarify, when you click restart, does nothing happen, or does the screen go black?

A couple of things to try, turn off fast boot. It's on by default, not really needed with an SSD IMO. Also under the power settings, try changing the "Sleep" settings to make it so that it "never" goes to sleep.

Try restarting and see if it fixes the issue.

Upvote 0

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
I ran SFC /scannow and it found corruption, unable to fix. Ran DISM and there is a problem as well. I suspect the image is corrupted because my PC could not restart by itself during installation from MCT and I was forced to perform hard shutdown and cold start.. As the Appolo astronauts said, in historic fashion, "Houston, we have a problem!" I could use some more advice, please.

SFC scannow2019-07-18 192756.jpg

Upvote 0

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
A couple of things to try, turn off fast boot. It's on by default, not really needed with an SSD IMO. Also under the power settings, try changing the "Sleep" settings to make it so that it "never" goes to sleep.

Try restarting and see if it fixes the issue.

Done both of those, and there must be more corruption because PC goes to sleep real quick even with changed settings.

Edit: The file/folder list in C: Windows is very short, so something's definitely amiss.

Upvote 0
F

ForgottenSeer 72227

Done both of those, and there must be more corruption because PC goes to sleep real quick even with changed settings.

Edit: The file/folder list in C: Windows is very short, so something's definitely amiss.
Ya it sounds like something happened during the install. Unfortunately, you may have to try another clean install, deleting all the partitions, and seeing if it works this time around. Did you get any errors when Windows was installing?

Upvote 0

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Did you get any errors when Windows was installing?

No, because of this as posted above post:

I suspect the image is corrupted because my PC could not restart by itself during installation from MCT and I was forced to perform hard shutdown and cold start.

I ran DISM.exe /? and the resulting list of command options is way above my technical experience and pay grade.. it appears I'd have to update DISM by commandline.

Upvote 0

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.