Troubleshoot Windows startup trouble - random PC booting after each pressing of the Power button

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
PC won't restart from GUI, needs multiple attempts to start after shutdown
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
Ran sfc /scannow and DISM, disabled Intel Management Engine, uninstalled security softs and recovery app, deleted and merged partitions.
I need to clean install Windows 10 but I'm having trouble entering BIOS to change the boot order > USB. Is it possible to clean install W10 using MCT's setup.exe? :unsure: It looks to me like it only allows an in-place install with options to keep apps & files, files only or nothing at all. I've never clean installed Windows before but I'd prefer to as this would be the best option so I can wipe my entire disk.I'm not certain I can do this without entering BIOS, etc. TIA (y):)

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Done both of those, and there must be more corruption because PC goes to sleep real quick even with changed settings.

Edit: The file/folder list in C: Windows is very short, so something's definitely amiss.
If you suspect something went wrong with the install of Windows you could try the "Fresh Start":
2. Use the “Fresh Start” Option in Windows 10
In the Windows 10 Creators Update, Microsoft added a new option to factory reset your computer. It’s similar to the above but has a few small differences that make it worth a look.
On the Settings > Update & Security > Recovery page, click the link text Learn how to start fresh with a clean installation of Windows at the bottom. This will open a Windows Defender Security Center window to the Fresh Start option. Click Get started to proceed.

Windows Defender Fresh start

Compared to the above reset option, Fresh Start has the following differences:
  • Fresh Start always keeps your personal files, with no option to remove them like above.
  • Fresh Start downloads the latest version of Windows 10, while the standard reset option uses the recovery information on your hard drive. This is provided by your PC manufacturer, or in the protected C:\Recoveryfolder if you installed Windows on your own.
    • Because of this, Fresh Start avoids clutter by removing all non-standard Windows apps, including manufacturer bloatware. The standard reset option will re-install from the recovery set by your PC’s maker.
  • Finally, Fresh Start keeps “some Windows settings” but doesn’t specify which. The above reset does not keep any of your settings.
To summarize, Fresh Start downloads a fresh copy of the most recent Windows 10 version, keeps your files and some settings, and doesn’t leave any bloatware aside from Store apps. In comparison, the standard reset option lets you choose whether to keep your files, doesn’t save any settings, and will reinstall Windows and apps based on your recovery partition.

Upvote 0
F

ForgottenSeer 72227

Ya I think because you had the issue of it not being able to restart on it's own, it must have not installed properly. Does your laptop have a CD/DVD drive? If so, another option to try aside from the USB (which sometimes can be a pain to boot from, especially from older laptops), is to download the ISO using the MCT and burn that ISO to a DVD and boot from that. The install will be exactly the same and may work better than the USB. You shouldn't need any programs to do this, Windows 10 has that capability built in. Another option to try is the "Fresh Start" that @Gandalf_The_Grey mentioned, it will essentially blow everything away and reinstall Windows for you.(y)

Upvote 0

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Yes I thought about using the ISO as a solution, but doesn't installing and updating still require multiple restarts? Maybe I will try a reset today and see how that goes. I need to have breakfast and tea first to clear my head. :sleep: Then ... :X3:
Good morning.
Here is it almost the end of my work day.
Try the fresh start first, because that downloads the latest version of windows and hopefully will install without any problems....

Upvote 0

Freki123

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Aug 10, 2013
I ran SFC /scannow and it found corruption, unable to fix.
Can't help with the rest but since I saw something about sfc problems on another news forum

Upvote 0

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
You may download the latest ISO from the official site by changing user agent to mobile site(Android/iOS) or the easiest is to download from here as it directly gives the ISO link from Microsoft's server: TechBench by WZT (v4.1.1)
Then use Rufus to write it into a USB drive then install after changing the boot order from BIOS.

I’v bookmarked this advice. I believe @Evjl’sRain had suggested the same to me quite some time ago.

Upvote 0

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Can you simply borrow from someone the DVD disc and install Windows from it? Does your laptop have a working DVD drive? If so, then change the boot order in BIOS and set DVD as first. (y)
You can also create a DVD disc with Windows by using another computer.

Upvote 0
L

Local Host

You don't need to change the boot on BIOS, you should have the option to boot from the USB directly (is another key that shows the boot menu, instead of BIOS).

In the case of LENOVO should be the F12 key.

You also don't need to re-install Windows entirely just to fix it, you can use the Windows 10 ISO to fix the system (it has a recovery option and will use the ISO files to fix any corrupt files).

Upvote 0

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Thanks @Andy Ful @Local Host!

I just reset Windows and it runs faster than my previous install. I ran sfc /scannow = clean + and DISM /... /RestoreHealth again which showed corruption as fixed, but the startup problem remains. I have a DVD drive and can burn a disk to try ISO for repair which I suppose is my last resort.

Or, could it be a hardware issue with my power button? :unsure:

BTW: As posted above I tested with built-in Lenovo diagnostic tool and everything showed as healthy.

Upvote 0

Andy Ful

Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
The laptops from the year 2009 may have a problem with booting from USB, but indeed Lenovo should allow booting from the DVD drive via boot menu triggered by F12 key. You should only be careful because some laptops require to press the combination of F12 with Fn key.

Suppose that your computer is shut down. What happens if you press the start button?

Upvote 0

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Are you sure, that your computer is completely shut down? It can start from the hibernated state.

When I perform the following from Windows:

Restart = it doesn't restart automatically and I need to shut down, in which case I hold the Power button down for a few seconds and it shuts down.

Sutdown = it shuts down without intervention.

Upvote 0
L

Local Host

Restart = it doesn't restart automatically and I need to shut down, in which case I hold the Power button down for a few seconds and it shuts down.

The shutdown switch you using is independent from Windows, and can cause hardware issues. Does Windows get into the restarting screen? Does the normal shutdown work?

Your problem can be caused by different issues:
  • Outdated drivers,
  • Outdated BIOS,
  • Faulty Power Supply,
  • Faulty RAM (this can cause BSOD, in worst case scenario the PC wouldn't show any image).

Upvote 0

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
When I cold startup I need to make one or, usually several attempts
The shutdown switch you using is independent from Windows, and can cause hardware issues. Does Windows get into the restarting screen? Does the normal shutdown work?

Your problem can be caused by different issues:
  • Outdated drivers,
  • Outdated BIOS,
  • Faulty Power Supply,
  • Faulty RAM (this can cause BSOD, in worst case scenario the PC wouldn't show any image).

Yes, Windows shows restarting screen but then goes black and doesn't restart. Normal shutdown works, but I will test again. I'll be back.

The saga continues ... :LOL:

Upvote 0

Andy Ful

Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014

Did you looked at the power settings (c:\Windows\System32\powercfg.cpl). There are options for the power button. You must be certain that you have a cold start (not from hibernation) to narrow the possible Error area.

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.