Troubleshoot Windows startup trouble - random PC booting after each pressing of the Power button

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
PC won't restart from GUI, needs multiple attempts to start after shutdown
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
Ran sfc /scannow and DISM, disabled Intel Management Engine, uninstalled security softs and recovery app, deleted and merged partitions.
I need to clean install Windows 10 but I'm having trouble entering BIOS to change the boot order > USB. Is it possible to clean install W10 using MCT's setup.exe? :unsure: It looks to me like it only allows an in-place install with options to keep apps & files, files only or nothing at all. I've never clean installed Windows before but I'd prefer to as this would be the best option so I can wipe my entire disk.I'm not certain I can do this without entering BIOS, etc. TIA (y):)

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
@Local Host - OK, I just shut down from within Windows and Windows appeared to shutdown, but PC did not power off. But it did startup with one press of Power.

@Andy Ful - I have power button set in Settings > Control panel to shutdown on press. I have not tried booting to safe mode but I think I would have to enable it in BIOS, IIRC, unless there is another way.

Upvote 0

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
@Local Host - OK, I just shut down from within Windows and Windows appeared to shutdown, but PC did not power off. But it did startup with one press of Power.

@Andy Ful - I have power button set in Settings > Control panel to shutdown on press. I have not tried booting to safe mode but I think I would have to enable it in BIOS, IIRC, unless there is another way.
Log out > use restart option with <Shift> key
safeboot.png

Upvote 0

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Log out > use restart option with <Shift> key
View attachment 217172

After my last post, I shutdown via Windows and it shutdown completely. Multiple normal startup attempts with Power button failed but pressing and holding a couple of seconds + Enter got a startup interrupted from normal > BIOS options > escape to Windows.

Yes, I just searched safe booting on Lenovo site but will try your method next. Stay tuned ...

Upvote 0
F

ForgottenSeer 72227

I actually thought of an out there idea to test to see if it's windows vs hardware. What if your tried downloading a linux distro (ubuntu, kubuntu, etc...) and either tried installing it, or running it's live installer and see if you experience the same issues? If it shuts down and restarts fine, then it's tied to either Windows, or a driver/bios issue.The way I see it, if it's hardware related, then it will happen with all OSes IMO. Maybe I'm crazy hehe, but it may be a worth while test.:)(y)

Who knows, maybe you'll like Linux more.:p

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Andy Ful

Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
??? I updated some drivers but ...
Sometimes the driver is installed, but with problems. If so, it should be uninstalled or disabled and replaced by another one.
wrongdriver.png

Please first send a screenshot if you will find such drivers. Do not uninstall them blindly.:giggle::emoji_pray:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Sometimes the driver is installed, but with problems. If so, it should be uninstalled or disabled and replaced by another one.
View attachment 217181
Please first send a screenshot if you will find such drivers. Do not uninstall them blindly.:giggle::emoji_pray:

Your image is a little blurry. I assume that is an "!" on a yellow background. I will check again now that I know what to look for.

Upvote 0

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Update: Restart still fails. I just shutdown and cold started, which required 3 attempts. It seems I need to hold power button down for several seconds and release. This was a fairly painless start compared to many other attempts the last few days. FWIW here is the system log from this startup. Maybe this will give someone with knowledge a clue to what's happening? :unsure:

Annotation 2019-07-20 173822.jpg

Upvote 0

Andy Ful

Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
If you press the Power Button once and you see that computer starts booting, then the Power Button is OK. If I understood your description of the problem, then:
  1. after pressing the Power Button the boot process starts, but soon your screen becomes black, the system does not start, and the Log On screen is not visible;
  2. the similar thing happens when you restart the system from the normal Widows session;
  3. the system starts without errors into Safe Mode and works without errors in Safe Mode;
  4. there are no problems with shutting down from Safe Mode;
  5. the system has a problem with shutting down from the normal session.
Is the above description true or I missed something?

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.