Troubleshoot Windows startup trouble - random PC booting after each pressing of the Power button

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
PC won't restart from GUI, needs multiple attempts to start after shutdown
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
Ran sfc /scannow and DISM, disabled Intel Management Engine, uninstalled security softs and recovery app, deleted and merged partitions.
I need to clean install Windows 10 but I'm having trouble entering BIOS to change the boot order > USB. Is it possible to clean install W10 using MCT's setup.exe? :unsure: It looks to me like it only allows an in-place install with options to keep apps & files, files only or nothing at all. I've never clean installed Windows before but I'd prefer to as this would be the best option so I can wipe my entire disk.I'm not certain I can do this without entering BIOS, etc. TIA (y):)

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Make the Restore Point, and next disable this driver in Device Manager. Reboot the computer.

Restore point made, driver disabled but no reboot yet. What will I do next? I like to know what I'm getting into, if possible.

BTW - are you thinking this is the 1903 bug with Intel drivers, etc.?

Edit: OK, I went ahead and rebooted. The graphics are like in safe mode :D and the boot issue remains.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
It will be hard to identify the problem without analyzing the Windows Event Log for errors. :(
For black screen errors see also :
For clean boot with limited amount of drivers and programs:

The fact that you can boot into Safe Mode, suggests driver/service errors because most of them are not loaded in the Safe Mode. But, confirming this would require the extensive testing in Safe Mode. Using the Clean Boot instead of Safe Mode may give you additional information.
The fastest (but most radical) method, would be installing fresh Windows 1809 from the external source (DVD or pen drive) to see if the errors disappear. Reverting the system from 1903 to 1809 by using Windows 1903 restoring options, may transfer the problem to Windows 1809, so I do not recommend this.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
It will be hard to identify the problem without analyzing the Windows Event Log for errors. :(
For black screen errors see also :
For clean boot with limited amount of drivers and programs:

The fact that you can boot into Safe Mode, suggests driver/service errors because most of them are not loaded in the Safe Mode. But, confirming this would require the extensive testing in Safe Mode. Using the Clean Boot instead of Safe Mode may give you additional information.
The fastest (but most radical) method, would be installing fresh Windows 1809 from the external source (DVD or pen drive) to see if the errors disappear. Reverting the system from 1903 to 1809 by using Windows 1903 restoring options, may transfer the problem to Windows 1809, so I do not recommend this.

I don't think I have the patience or knowledge for further testing. I will wait for my friend to take a look and get his opinion. My next option would be to reinstall from CD. I will get disks and make installation media soon. My remaining question is: doesn't re-installation from CD still require restarting during the process? This is the root of the problem, in my mind.

Upvote 0

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
FWIW, here are the errors from today's startup, which required 2 attempts.

Annotation 2019-07-23 082334.jpgAnnotation 2019-07-23 082423.jpgAnnotation 2019-07-23 082602.jpg

Upvote 0

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
From your screenshots I can see that DAM service and SAService services are not loaded properly.
The DAM is used if the system supports 'connected standby':
The second service (SAService) seems to be 3rd party (maybe Support Assistant service from the factory drivers?).

Upvote 0

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
From your screenshots I can see that DAM service and SAService services are not loaded properly.
The second service (SAService) seems to be 3rd party (maybe Support Assistant service from the factory drivers?).

Thanks @Andy Ful. Yes this is what I've seen - services, etc. not loading, but don't know what they are. I'm trying to make a Lenovo bootable USB Diagnostic Tool but I'm having problems installing their tool in order to do it. It appears I am having problems with installing some software, e.g. I install, no shortcuts are made, soft doesn't appear in Start, etc. They just disappear, but are listed as installed programs. This does not occur in all instances of an install. :unsure: I guess I am getting a crash course in troubleshooting. Quite intense.

I've uninstalled VoodooShield in case that is blocking something and not alerting.

Upvote 0

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018

Impressive technical knowledge..

Upvote 0

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
I found a install-able diagnostic tool and running that now.

Looks good so far on the quick test. Passed all tests. Maybe extended test later, but this seems to rule out hardware issues.

So question is: Try reinstall from CD?

During installation, there should be several reboots automatically. No operation is required. I wish you good luck! And waiting for good news!:)(y)(y)

The problem is that my system did not reboot on its own during installation, on any restart during any reinstall. Otherwise, I'd probably have a clean, well-running pc right now.

Upvote 0

Prorootect

Level 69
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
Hi all of you,

PROBLEM: PC startup trouble, Windows randomly booting computer, after each pressing the Power button, randomly shut off.
Solved to me.

Special thanks to Tiny Watcher warning here: "Process imapi.exe : cannot obtain executable file's path"

imapi.exe is a part of the Microsoft Windows operating system (Windows XP to Windows 10, maybe not present in Vista and Windows 7) - the Image Mastering Applications Programming Interface, used for CD recording.
Corrupted imapi.exe, imapi.exe errors could be the cause of random booting after pressing the Start button of your computer, or Restart Windows, I think.

The solution, which worked to me: stop then restart IMAPI service.

In the Start/Run window, type services.msc, then locate IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service (French: Service COM de gravage de CD IMAPI).
In Properties, change Startup type from Manual to Disabled, and reboot Windows.
Now, you see that Windows boot successfully after each pressing of the Start button, no more failled PC boot.
Then if you want (you can) to go back to the previous start setting of this service, revert change, in Properties window change Disabled to Manual, as I did (no more random Windows boot, all is OK, always, don't worry about reverting your change).
Random no boot problem is solved - to me.

Hope helping many of you.

PS. oldschool, could you change the title of this topic, eg.
"Windows startup trouble - random PC booting after each pressing of the Power button", please?

Upvote 0

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
Hi all of you,

PROBLEM: PC startup trouble, Windows randomly booting computer, after each pressing the Power button, randomly shut off.
Solved to me.

Special thanks to Tiny Watcher warning here: "Process imapi.exe : cannot obtain executable file's path"

imapi.exe is a part of the Microsoft Windows operating system (Windows XP to Windows 10, maybe not present in Vista and Windows 7) - the Image Mastering Applications Programming Interface, used for CD recording.
Corrupted imapi.exe, imapi.exe errors could be the cause of random booting after pressing the Start button of your computer, or Restart Windows, I think.

The solution, which worked to me: stop then restart IMAPI service.

In the Start/Run window, type services.msc, then locate IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service (French: Service COM de gravage de CD IMAPI).
In Properties, change Startup type from Manual to Disabled, and reboot Windows.
Now, you see that Windows boot successfully after each pressing of the Start button, no more failled PC boot.
Then if you want (you can) to go back to the previous start setting of this service, revert change, in Properties window change Disabled to Manual, as I did (no more random Windows boot, all is OK, always, don't worry about reverting your change).
Random no boot problem is solved - to me.

Hope helping many of you.

"Windows startup trouble - random PC booting after each pressing of the Power button", please?
I was surprised:eek:Long time no see!:)

Upvote 0

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
The fastest (but most radical) method, would be installing fresh Windows 1809 from the external source (DVD or pen drive) to see if the errors disappear.

My vote would be yes, others may think otherwise.
(y)

Downloading ISO to burn. Will have to attempt when I am prepared, and have the energy/time. :D:D:barefoot::barefoot::barefoot::barefoot::X3:

Thanks @Prorootect - long time no see! :)

Request sent. Thanks for your suggestion since it describes my issue precisely. (y)

Upvote 0

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
By doing a clean installation we can also see if it is a hardware problem if the problems continue.
That is if you download a new ISO

Yes. I have the ISO but need to get DVD-RW that's big enough. I'm still concerned about the inability to restart during the install/updating process, unless I am not understanding how it works when done with ISO.

At least Lenovo Diagnostic Tool quick test result was clean!

Edit: And thanks to all who have offered support of any kind!

Running the Lenovo extended test now to see what results I get.

Running the Lenovo extended test now to see what results I get.

Extended Lenovo test results = All Pass! :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Back again with an update. I have my DVD with ISO ready to go but a I wanted a USB backup in case there is a problem. I ran the MCT and when finished I got an error code 0x080042405-0xa001b which is some sort of partition error. I formatted the USB and created an NTFS partition. Is this correct? I didn't do anything to the USB prior to my other installs. :unsure:

Upvote 0

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Back again with an update. I have my DVD with ISO ready to go but a I wanted a USB backup in case there is a problem. I ran the MCT and when finished I got an error code 0x080042405-0xa001b which is some sort of partition error. I formatted the USB and created an NTFS partition. Is this correct? I didn't do anything to the USB prior to my other installs. :unsure:
According to: Error Code 0x80042405 - 0xA001A on Media Creation Tool you should select FAT32.
1] Try reformatting the USB drive. Open This PC, right click your USB drive and select Format. Select FAT32 as drive type and uncheck Quick Format option. Now try running the Media Creation Tool again and see if it worked out for you or not. Most probably it should because formatting your drive as FAT32 will give it a proper type and would any minor issues with the drive.

2] If that didn’t work out for you, you can try another fix which has been reported working by many users. Follow the first fix and reformat your drive. Now copy the latest version of Media Creation Tool to the USB drive. Now run the tool from inside the drive. This has somehow proven to be a working fix and can get your USB drive up and running with Windows inside it.
3] Disable USB Selective Suspend via Power Options and see if that helps you. If it does not, remember to revert the setting.
4] If nothing seems to be working, there is still a workaround. And that is using a third party tool. But for that, you will need to download the Windows 10 Installation Disc ISO file on your computer. You can download the ISO file using the second option on the Media Creation Tool and later on use that ISO to create a bootable USB. The tools that you can use are Rufus or Universal USB Installer. Both these tools are free to download and very easy to use.
NTFS could also cause problems: Windows 10 Media Creation Tool: Problem running this tool, Starting setup

Upvote 0

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
That's what I used just prior. ??? And M$ only gives you the error at the end of the process.
You don't have much luck with this....
If I remember correctly I once used a tool from HP to repair an USB drive.
Maybe you van use that tool to format before using MCT?
I think it was this one:

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.