Advice Request Windscribe ControlID - has anyone used it, if so what do you think of it?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

n8chavez

Level 16
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021
There's alot to like about ControlD now, and it's obvious they put in a lot of work on it from the last time I tried it. I'm switching from NextDNS to ControlD. Honestly, their use of non-generic IPv4 addresses as a way of accessing your profiles was enough for that, which is something NextDNS does not offer. ControlD has gotten much better of android devices too, ads I was seeing before are not there anymore. I don't really care for the location of my DNS IP, it's not as close to my location as I'd like, but there are too many positives.

Pair with with NextDNS pro and you'll be a good to go.

n8chavez

Level 16
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021
Well damn. I'm using the paid versions of both, and I just ran a ping test between ControlD and NextDNS. NextDNS was very noticeably faster and more responsive. The ping results seem to back that up. Is that the case with anyone else?

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    9 KB · Views: 185

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
Well damn. I'm using the paid versions of both, and I just ran a ping test between ControlD and NextDNS. NextDNS was very noticeably faster and more responsive. The ping results seem to back that up. Is that the case with anyone else?
Ping is largely irrelevant since results get cached unless you are constantly visiting new sites and the ping is Very high.

Bill W

Level 1
Verified
Mar 30, 2013
Can you please release a Windows App like YogaDNS that allows me to switch DNS providers on the fly. I used to use YogaDNS to flip between ISP default, NextDNS & ControlD.

Reactions: Trooper and eonline

n8chavez

Level 16
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021
Can you please release a Windows App like YogaDNS that allows me to switch DNS providers on the fly. I used to use YogaDNS to flip between ISP default, NextDNS & ControlD.

Why not just continue to use YogaDNS then, if it worked for you?

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
Were you using the paid version of YogaDNS?

SpiderWeb

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Aug 21, 2020
I installed the free uncensored DNS as a backup DNS on my laptop and phone in case I ever travel somewhere where sites cannot be resolved. But I have Windscribe Pro and I don't see how it's any different from ROBERT.

windscribe

From Windscribe
Verified
Developer
Well-known
Dec 28, 2016
We're really trying to avoid going the app route, as a DNS service shouldn't require any apps, that's kinda the point of it. If you're gonna run an app, might as well run a VPN app.

That being said, we are making a utility that helps configure ControlD on Windows/Mac, and roll back the previous configuration you had. But this is not a management utility. This is geared for non-tech savvy people who are to afraid to modify their interface settings manually, and would rather an app do it for them.

What is the issue that requires you to switch DNS providers all the time? That's what we'd rather address and eliminate the need to do that in the first place. So mind sharing?

I installed the free uncensored DNS as a backup DNS on my laptop and phone in case I ever travel somewhere where sites cannot be resolved. But I have Windscribe Pro and I don't see how it's any different from ROBERT.

Uncensored resolver will be more useful when we deploy ECH (in the coming weeks if the tests this week go as planned). This will allow users to access blocked websites without the use of a VPN, even on networks that filter SNI (most restrictive networks do). So yes, you could run a VPN... or just update your DNS resolver and not use any apps at all. Keep in mind, ECH is bleeding edge tech, and is only supported in Firefox right now. But this will change in the future.

Last edited:

SpiderWeb

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Aug 21, 2020
@windscribe as a Firefox user, bring it on! I do have a question. What happens if the country that censors websites blocks the address of ControlID's DNS servers? Is this even a likely scenario? For example some public Wifi networks simply block Apple Private Relay (mask.icloud.com) and it turns off or does not resolve anything. Can ECH circumvent that?

n8chavez

Level 16
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021
Just an FYI, in Windows 11 you can use DoH DNS severs natively for all connections. That was not true in Windows 10.

Reactions: Azure

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
Just an FYI, in Windows 11 you can use DoH DNS severs natively for all connections. That was not true in Windows 10.
Wait, all servers? I thought DoH was only available for a selected group like Cloudlflare, Google,etc.

Okay. Thanks for the info

n8chavez

Level 16
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021
Just as an example, if you wanted to add Mullvad VPN adblocking DNS you'd, run powershell as admin and use:

Add-DnsClientDohServerAddress -ServerAddress 194.242.2.2 -DohTemplate https://adblock.doh.mullvad.net/dns-query

Add-DnsClientDohServerAddress -ServerAddress 193.19.108.3 -DohTemplate https://adblock.doh.mullvad.net/dns-query

Add-DnsClientDohServerAddress -ServerAddress 2a07:e340::2 -DohTemplate https://adblock.doh.mullvad.net/dns-query

Then hit win+i. Network and internet > select your adapter > adapter properties > then enter the information for the addresses you want (must match above)

I know this is a ControlD thread, but I was just using an example that's available and free to everyone.

Last edited:

windscribe

From Windscribe
Verified
Developer
Well-known
Dec 28, 2016
@windscribe as a Firefox user, bring it on! I do have a question. What happens if the country that censors websites blocks the address of ControlID's DNS servers? Is this even a likely scenario? For example some public Wifi networks simply block Apple Private Relay (mask.icloud.com) and it turns off or does not resolve anything. Can ECH circumvent that?
Yes, the endpoint can be nullrouted, and that will break DNS on the device. Same is true for any internet service :)

Bill W

Level 1
Verified
Mar 30, 2013
We're really trying to avoid going the app route, as a DNS service shouldn't require any apps, that's kinda the point of it. If you're gonna run an app, might as well run a VPN app.

That being said, we are making a utility that helps configure ControlD on Windows/Mac, and roll back the previous configuration you had. But this is not a management utility. This is geared for non-tech savvy people who are to afraid to modify their interface settings manually, and would rather an app do it for them.

What is the issue that requires you to switch DNS providers all the time? That's what we'd rather address and eliminate the need to do that in the first place. So mind sharing?
I use ControlD mostly on my Google TV & Fire TV Sticks. Works well.
On the desktops computers I like the ability to switch between different DNS providers. One specific use case is my partner who makes purchases on certain sites that require tracking for affiliate cashbacks, in which case it is easier to switch to ISP DNS with adblocker off.

Reactions: Moonhorse

0xBravoZulu

Feb 25, 2022

Uncensored resolver will be more useful when we deploy ECH (in the coming weeks if the tests this week go as planned). This will allow users to access blocked websites without the use of a VPN, even on networks that filter SNI (most restrictive networks do). So yes, you could run a VPN... or just update your DNS resolver and not use any apps at all. Keep in mind, ECH is bleeding edge tech, and is only supported in Firefox right now. But this will change in the future.
Will ECH be supported on mobile devices whenever you first ship it? I see that you mentioned it is only supported in firefox right now.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.