Windscribe's new feature R.O.B.E.R.T (server side malware and ad-blocking)

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
it depends on the locations. When I was in Hungary, Windscribe slowed down my internet from 5Mb/s to <1MB/s, unbearably slow even disconnected, with many servers, and I was always struggling to test malwares
after a year without using, it improved but still not as fast as the others
now I live in Asia. The connection is **** by default so I don't notice too much slowdown with windscribe => good
I will try this ROBERT

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Windscribe blocks the connection, but without clearly warning, why the URL is blocked (malicious, phishing) like other web-filters...

URL can't be reached
Image 1.png

Windscribe disabled, EXE gets downloaded:
Image 2.png

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Result:
Test with 12 live vxvault links -> windscribe blocked 1 (google safe browsing blocked all)
Tested with 15 new links -> blocked nothing

=> not a good start. Hope they improve their database

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Windscribe blocks the connection, but without clearly warning, why the URL is blocked (malicious, phishing) like other web-filters...
2 another examples,

Windscribe enabled, both URL can't be reached (URL seems to be blocked by Windscribe)

1.1.png2.1.png
__________________________________________________________________________________________

Windscribe disabled, both URL are reachable, but EXE are blocked by Google Safe Browsing:

1.2.png2.2.png

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
Is it me or normal? Windscribe take a very long time to establish the connection since the release of ROBERT. Before the release of ROBERT, I would get the connection establish very quick, but now I have to wait like more than 10 seconds.

F

ForgottenSeer 69673

Is it me or normal? Windscribe take a very long time to establish the connection since the release of ROBERT. Before the release of ROBERT, I would get the connection establish very quick, but now I have to wait like more than 10 seconds.

see post number 5 about ads and trackers.

Reactions: SumTingWong

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
Yes I know. post number 5 states that if you have trackers and adds enabled it will slow down your connection.

I don't understand? It is for blocking, and not interfering with the speed, so how come it will slow down my connection to the VPN server with that option enable?

Lord Ami

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 14, 2014
2 another examples,

Windscribe enabled, both URL can't be reached (URL seems to be blocked by Windscribe)

View attachment 201734View attachment 201736
__________________________________________________________________________________________

Windscribe disabled, both URL are reachable, but EXE are blocked by Google Safe Browsing:

View attachment 201735View attachment 201737
This is to be expected. Whole blocking works on DNS level (in case you don't use Windscribe's browser extension).
They are already working on V2 of ROBERT - it should have option to whitelist websites for your own use :)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.