Battle WinRar or 7Zip? What's your favourite?

RejZoR

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
7zip, because its compression is simply unmatched when you also take speed into account. It's also open source and fully free. And Igor is constantly updating it. New update 20 has some speed and compression enhancements planned so it'll be even better. And thanks to being open, 7z format is super widely supported. Sure is RAR as well, but 7z just goes even further. RAR used to be superior before 7zip though as they had far better compression than ZIP or GZ ever had.

polishpatriot

Level 2
Feb 4, 2020
It's only a joke that this simple feature isn't part of all archive tools.
And it's also still a good security feature

It adds next to nothing to your overall security. That's why it is ignored by most 3rd party AV. Not to mention that not all browsers even support MOTW. If you are using 100 % Microsoft for everything, then sure, it's OK. However, in such a case connect an infected usb flash drive or any other infected drive type to your system and see what happens.

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 85179

It adds next to nothing to your overall security.
That's wrong. You should read about that in eg. this forum.

That's why it is ignored by most 3rd party AV.
I don't care about 3rd party AV. Windows internal protection is the only real one, which only can use all internal OS features and doesn't increase attack surface.

Not to mention that not all browsers even support MOTW.
Which one? Edge, Firefox does it. And i would say that Chrome (can't verify) did it too.

If you are using 100 % Microsoft for everything, then sure, it's OK. However, in such a case connect an infected usb flash drive or any other infected drive type to your system and see what happens.
I not use 100% Microsoft services.
Infections from external drive is another story but with a good config, this is no problem.

polishpatriot

Level 2
Feb 4, 2020
That's wrong. You should read about that in eg. this forum.

I don't care about 3rd party AV. Windows internal protection is the only real one, which only can use all internal OS features and doesn't increase attack surface.

Which one? Edge, Firefox does it. And i would say that Chrome (can't verify) did it too.

I not use 100% Microsoft services.
Infections from external drive is another story but with a good config, this is no problem.

OK. Whatever. You are obviously getting all uppity upset.

Anyway, the bottom line is MOTW is garbage.

Reactions: DDE_Server

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
Steve Ballmer once called Linux a cancer. And he stated he would do anything to prevent people form using Linux or Mac. He was despised at Microsoft to such an extent that he was pushed out.

Microsoft is in a complete monopoly position give the fact that Windows is installed on nearly every single PC manufactured today. So Microsoft is the last organization that needs any help from people selling pirated, illegal keys cheaply. And yes, Microsoft does mind if you try to cheap-scate them by buying a pirated or illegal Windows upgrade license. I know as I was just involved in bringing down a Taiwanese Windows and Office product scammer.

Please do not say things that are not true. Microsoft does not want people paying a penny less than the full, published, official price. Microsoft actively hunts down and deactivates illegal Microsoft product prices. The fact of the matter is that software piracy happens on such a large scale that Microsoft is forced to focus on the most egregious offenders - such as the Chinese selling Volume Licenses as Retail. Therefore, a lot of piracy goes un-checked by the publisher.

And Microsoft has said that Windows has now become its lowest priority. Furthermore, their future model for Windows will be to charge an annual subscription.

The price sure does pay for security, productivity and most any other software. Whether it is a one-time or annual subscription fee doesn't matter. Comparing those software to games is like comparing prunes to pineapples. Security, productivity and other software doesn't have in-game micro-transactions. It's tall those add-on transactions that keep the game industry cash registers busy.

The official position of most any software publisher is that unofficial, unauthorized key sales is software piracy and the people doing it is criminal activity. It's the reason that media have been on a storm for the past decade about all the copyright infringement. Yes, that copyright is the basis of any software claims as well. It isn't just limited to media.
I've upgraded 5 PC's in the last month or so to Windows 10 from Windows 7 (friends? & family) all activated perfectly legally & had a MS digital key without me doing anything - I bought WinRAR maybe 10 years ago & it updates without any problems - When members put forward reasoned arguments as to their point of view in a decent way, it's OK - IMO It's not getting 'uppity', we have out points of view but must expect others to have a different or even similar perceptive,

Reactions: roger_m

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
In the vast majority of cases, the cheap Microsoft product licenses on eBay are from scammers who sell Volume License keys from MSDN (now called a Visual Studio subscription) - which once again - Microsoft considers illegal.

In an MSDN subscription you get Volume License keys that can be activated 20 times, and you get 5 separate Retail keys that each can be activated 5 times. Sometimes the Microsoft License servers will allow keys to be activate more times than these written permissions.

Also, there is a huge black market for stolen Microsoft Volume License keys. $4 is nothing to an Australian, an American or European. But $4 to a Chinese or Indian person, it can be an entire day's wages.
I am well aware that cheap Windows and MS Office licenses are being sold illegally.

Cheap AV licenses can be legal. For example, I recently paid about $6 for a 1 year, 3 device license for ESET Internet Security. I have no reason to doubt it being legal, as I bought it from a reputable local online seller, who only sell genuine licenses.

The same seller sells OEM Windows 10 licenses for over $100.

polishpatriot

Level 2
Feb 4, 2020
I am well aware that cheap Windows and MS Office licenses are being sold illegally.

Cheap AV licenses can be legal. For example, I recently paid about $6 for a 1 year, 3 device license for ESET Internet Security. I have no reason to doubt it being legal, as I bought it from a reputable local online seller, who only sell genuine licenses.

The same seller sells OEM Windows 10 licenses for over $100.

most of the security soft license sold on eBay are outside the terms of the publisher; in other words they are illegal licenses

generally, a publisher gives a 30 to 50 % discount from full retail to distributors - and that is standard industry practice

no publisher that I know of gives away licenses for only a few dollars

therefore, when you see AV licenses going for less than $10 that alone is indication that the license is bogus, unless the seller is just giving it away

Sampei Nihira

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Dec 26, 2019
Archive file management softwares is also vulnerable:

I recommend MT users who rely on an Anti-Exploit like Malwarebytes to check if in their OS and software version if 7zip is really under Anti-Exploit protection:

In the 2 images under Bandizip with injected mbae.dll and 7zip which has no mbae.dll:

Bandizip:

100.JPG

7Zip:

100a.JPG

Moreover, it is not possible to add 7zip to the Shields list because the software is already included in the list:

100b.JPG

In my pc, therefore, even if I wanted, I could not use 7-Zip.

P.S. Even testing with the Exploit Test Tool (HP) renamed as 7zip shows that there is no protection against Exploits.

Please check in your OS and Malwarebytes software version.

Last edited:

JB007

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
Hello,
I'm not sure if it is the right place for my post:unsure:
Is it worth buying Bandizip' professional version ?

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Please excuse my ignorance but what is "MOTW" ?o_O
Bandizip ads blocked via any Firewall looks like below:
bandizip.png

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.