Deprecated WiseVector Free AI Driven Security

pvsurfer

Level 1
Verified
Oct 20, 2019
I always asked why it would never install and work right in Shadow mode but never did get any reply.
Because WV installation requires a reboot. When installed in Normal Mode WV also worked properly in Shadow Mode.

In any case, I replaced WV with BD-Free plus WFC over 2-weeks ago when it was obvious to me WV had 'pulled the plug'l

Last edited:

Shadowra

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
It saddens and disappoints me.

I was the one who tested Wisevector the most on video, following the updates. I gave them a lot of malware reports (Ransomware, Magniber, Sage Ransom, Discord TokenGrab, Trojan Crypt, Botnet etc).

I read that now Wisevector will no longer update the version for individuals but will create a version for companies which will be de facto, paying.
Honestly, I am disappointed and I have the impression that we have been given a carrot.
We were used as guinea pigs or beta testers to feed the Wisevector AI. As soon as they have all the information, they leave and stop the version.

For the security center, I never believed it. To be certified, you have to go through Microsoft and use the kernel. And also to have funds! Without that, it's dead...

Their story reminds me of Safe N Sec and especially Drivesentry, 2 softwares that I liked a lot but that had the same path as Wisevector (even if Drivesentry were victims of a hack that led them to close down)

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
We all knew from the start what the deal was so while disappointing it should be no real surprise to anyone that they`ve decided to concentrate on the commercial side of things.
It came as a surprise to me, as I did believe them when they said they were going eventually release a paid version, while retaining the free one and always believed it would happen eventually. But I'm not upset about their decision, because WV was free, so no one has lost any money, paying for a product that has been abandoned.

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016
But I'm not upset about their decision, because WV was free, so no one has lost any money, paying for a product that has been abandoned.
Your right in the end it was free so not great loss. However, I feel if the product is worth it, good software and actually works as expected you could always ask for donations to support the project like Privazer or try a subscription model like VS, OSArmor & AppGuard. If the software works (which it most of the time did work), then you would have no trouble getting income for your hard work. People will support you if your software (any product mind you) has value.

Kongo

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
It came as a surprise to me, as I did believe them when they said they were going eventually release a paid version, while retaining the free one and always believed it would happen eventually. But I'm not upset about their decision, because WV was free, so no one has lost any money, paying for a product that has been abandoned.
Nobody lost any money, but probably quite an amount of data. 😅

Behold Eck

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 22, 2014
Their story reminds me of Safe N Sec and especially Drivesentry, 2 softwares that I liked a lot but that had the same path as Wisevector (even if Drivesentry were victims of a hack that led them to close down)
Yes I remember it happening with Drivesentry many years ago due to insufficient interest in the commercial version, hence my lack of surprise but not disappointment WV.

At least WV made an appearance with the vague suggestion that the home version might be continued ? Drivesentry just disappeared and no more "trickle down" sig updates:(

Regards Eck:)

Razza

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Aug 12, 2014
WV hasn't been updated since 14/2. It is my favorite AV for a long time
I quite liked VW as well I only used it on one of my laptop at home, what I liked about it was very light on the system and had good detection.

I always suspected the product would get discontinued at some stage after they crowdsourced enough data for AI training, it seem it will be used for a enterprise version, I thought the exit strategy was going to be a other vendor buying the project to use it in their product to increase the detection.

At first, I also chose Kaspersky, but then I installed F-Secure (6 months free) instead, because it was very light in the past.
They are both good, F-secure is definitely lighter than Kaspersky, my own experience Kaspersky seem to be heavier nowadays with the newer product line the older product line KAV/KIS/KTS/KSC seem to run noticeably lighter on my systems, am currently using Avast Free on the laptop which I had VW on seem to be running task a tad faster most noticeable opening Chrome.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
They are both good, F-secure is definitely lighter than Kaspersky, my own experience Kaspersky seem to be heavier nowadays with the newer product line the older product line KAV/KIS/KTS/KSC seem to run noticeably lighter on my systems, am currently using Avast Free on the laptop which I had VW on seem to be running task a tad faster most noticeable opening Chrome.
I can fell some improvement in scanning speed. It is much faster than the previous versions. I did several tweaks like changing the scan method in file AV to "On execution", lowering the Web protection + disabling https/encrypted scanning, disabling background scanning, hardware virtualization is off
Kaspersky is definitely very silent and light on my old laptop without significant impact on protection

what I disliked on the previous versions was their extremely slow scanning speed, both on-demand and realtime

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Hi between Avast Free,Kaspersky Free which is lighter in performance?Thks
You can check this test

I have used both avast free and kaspersky free and out of both, kaspersky has been lighter

Chuck57

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Oct 22, 2018
Such a shame. I've moved on from WiseVector and Comodo FW, though I might check out the new Comodo FW when and if they finish and release it during my lifetime. WiseVector had enormous promise but, like so many, I think we were the guinea pigs they needed to iron things out. I don't appreciate being used, and will not return to them even if they do offer a free version for public use.

I've chosen Kaspersky Plus with a 2 year deal that was too good to pass up, just prior to Christmas.

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Such a shame. I've moved on from WiseVector and Comodo FW, though I might check out the new Comodo FW when and if they finish and release it during my lifetime. WiseVector had enormous promise but, like so many, I think we were the guinea pigs they needed to iron things out. I don't appreciate being used, and will not return to them even if they do offer a free version for public use.

I've chosen Kaspersky Plus with a 2 year deal that was too good to pass up, just prior to Christmas.
me-too, uninstalled wvsx from all pc & vm, and one wvsx was very difficult to remove (might have been their spyware version :unsure:) and put Kaspersky Standard on one and F-Secure on the other.

bobdoe

Level 2
Oct 10, 2020
Their new home page?
sshot-2023-03-06-09-53-04.jpg

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.