Wisevector StopX 3.03 V's 1000 .exe Samples

kC77

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Aug 16, 2021
Very basic & quick test ( requested by pxxb1 )
Most here will already know this is a very capable product!.. (but this is a hard test that many reputable AV companies fail at)

Windows defender disabled, (so that StopX was the only security running).
It appears that StopX isn't able to register itself as a protection provider, but I think you could quite happily run this alongside windows defender.
Version installed for test 3.03 direct from website.

I set the options to max/aggressive & 1000+ samples ran (few fresh added from today) and the past 10days, looks to of blocked everything without issues and completed in about 8 minutes....
very quick detection's although it did pop up a few times asking me what to do with a few things...
Its very very light, and CPU usage during test was low...

seems very very good, but the only thing that would personally stop me from using it, is the data collection in china. but that kind of thing is more about privacy/personal preferences, it has nothing to do with detection's or just how capable this product is.
For protection its excellent! no complaints! (the minor complaint it was popping up asking me about files advising they were safe....) not sure if these were actually safe, but i manually blocked them)
After execution of all samples, there was nothing running in process explorer or on startup, nothing had appeared to of successfully ran, nothing was triggered in the IDS.

Gif of test (71.7mb download from dropbox)

Last edited:

Trooper

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 28, 2015
Very basic & quick test ( requested by pxxb1 )
Most here will already know this is a very capable product!.. (but this is a hard test that many reputable AV companies fail at)

Windows defender disabled, (so that StopX was the only security running).
It appears that StopX isn't able to register itself as a protection provider, but I think you could quite happily run this alongside windows defender.
Version installed for test 3.03 direct from website.

I set the options to max/aggressive & 1000+ samples ran (few fresh added from today) and the past 10days, looks to of blocked everything without issues and completed in about 8 minutes....
very quick detection's although it did pop up a few times asking me what to do with a few things...
Its very very light, and CPU usage during test was low...

seems very very good, but the only thing that would personally stop me from using it, is the data collection in china. but that kind of thing is more about privacy/personal preferences, it has nothing to do with detection's or just how capable this product is.
For protection its excellent! no complaints! (the minor complaint it was popping up asking me about files advising they were safe....) not sure if these were actually safe, but i manually blocked them)
After execution of all samples, there was nothing running in process explorer or on startup, nothing had appeared to of successfully ran, nothing was triggered in the IDS.

Gif of test (71.7mb download from dropbox)

Data collection in China is why I will never use it either. I have heard good things about this product however.

F

ForgottenSeer 94654

Data collection in China is why I will never use it either. I have heard good things about this product however.
Wisevector is just one tiny part of the Chinese AI Revolution. AI is all about data harvesting no matter whom is running the project and regardless of where they are located. US and European AI perform the very same level of data harvesting as anyone else.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shadowra

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
You should know that any exchange with servers on an antivirus must be encrypted, especially in case of a cloud AV.
Generally, antivirus software sends only a fingerprint of the file* to compare it online (they do not send the whole file, otherwise I dare to imagine the connection slowed down if the user has a weak connection :D ) .
And in my opinion, Wisevector must have a privacy policy...

* = The only exception is Secureaplus with UniversalAV which sends it completely... I confess I don't know why....

Last edited by a moderator:
F

ForgottenSeer 94654

It is true and not.
You should know that any exchange with servers on an antivirus must be encrypted, especially in case of a cloud AV.
Generally, antivirus software sends only a fingerprint of the file* to compare it online (they do not send the whole file, otherwise I dare to imagine the connection slowed down if the user has a weak connection :D ) .
And in my opinion, Wisevector must have a privacy policy...

* = The only exception is Secureaplus with UniversalAV which sends it completely... I confess I don't know why....
AI does not need to upload files. It learns via data harvesting.

Chinese data harvesting is not really any different than, say, Google's or Microsoft's. Microsoft's Watson, for example, is a massively prolific data harvester of user as well as many other data points.

kC77

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Aug 16, 2021
I see that Version installed for test is 3.03, but why not the latest, 3.05? Is 3.03 better? :confused:
thats what was offered when i clicked the download page on the site, after checking now it still gives 3.03 unless you go into the history page where it shows 3.05, if they are not offering 3.0.5 as the main download link, possibly its still in testing?

franz

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
May 29, 2021
thats what was offered when i clicked the download page on the site, after checking now it still gives 3.03 unless you go into the history page where it shows 3.05, if they are not offering 3.0.5 as the main download link, possibly its still in testing?
Ok, thank you ;)

kC77

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Aug 16, 2021
Ok, thank you ;)
Just retested with 3.05 but this time as wfx (post #3) suggested to try on default settings (rather than high due to fp's) and it did excellent again, it did miss a something... there was something running using 25% cpu, had 17 hits on virus total so i dont think it should of been running! but i manually killed it... no major damage done, (nothing left on startup & test pictures were in tact) and nothing attempted to communicate with the internet (well there was something else running but wisevector prompted and blocked the communication).... possibly on High settings it would of got it?
after the execution test there were 50 items (out of about 1400) left in the c:\samples folder, doing a manual scan cleaned them which left 15...which when i tried to run them appeared to be broken/non executable/corrupt, so it did well! quick fast and accurate, its very clever and best of all free!

Gif download of test2 (70.3mb)

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 94654

WiseVector is really good :D
It is reasonably good for .exe, but not so much for .dll, scripts, .cpl, and most of the other malicious non-.exe file types.

There is a reason that Wisevector has been training its AI since 2017 slowly. The training process can take a very long time. My educated guess is that Wisevector might not be the organization's primary project; it probably has other higher priority projects that generate revenue or that they must due to meet the conditions of their venture captial\financial backing.

Reactions: Nevi, plat and kC77

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.