Xvirus Personal Guard - feedback and bug reports (OLD)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shran

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 19, 2015
Erm... it even has its own detection name?
upload_2015-4-27_13-7-13.png

upload_2015-4-27_13-7-43.png

Shran

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 19, 2015
Well it does say "potentially" unwanted? I haven't tried it yet, need to make a new VM if I'm going to.

Reactions: Dani Santos
D

Deleted member 21043

Thank you for the update. I will install this as a main security solution for my laptop. I am bored from others!
Lets see how it performs, good work Dani :)
Watch out for the False Positives. Although, Dani is working hard to get them sorted and every vendor has them!

I like Xvirus as well. I trust Xvirus far more than I trust a vendor like McAfee, Qihoo, Tencent, IObit for example. And sure, McAfee may have been in the business longer but Xvirus is always improving and while people won't agree with me (especially people with lots of experience) about liking Xvirus, I think it's a great project and if it was ended I'd be devastated and to be honest I think that Dani should be proud of himself because while not everyone thinks it's a big thing, wait a few more years and see what it should become in the future. It started small and it's getting bigger and bigger, look at all the improvements made since it was first started. Same applies to @Kardo Kristal's Crystal Security project.

It moved from MD5 hash detection to introducing of heuristic detection which massively improved it's detection and effectiveness. Now let's watch it add even more features and improve heavily over the course of the next year or so.

As far as Privacy goes, Xvirus does not do things like collect the URLs you visit with it's web guard. And some vendors do this. @yigido knows everything there is to know about Privacy and I am sure he can also vouch this product is good with it's Privacy.

It's Behaviour Blocking/HIPS is neither the best, but it has drastically improved over the recent years from when it was first introduced and let's wait and see the progress it will make in the future.

I think this product is quite good and if you take a look further I am sure anyone who currently does not like it will adapt to like it's prescence too. It has great potential.

I believe the product has a lot of work to do to move further, but it should manage fine.

I wouldn't say it's as good as a product like MalwareBytes just yet, but that's not to say it won't be in the future. We have to remember that Dani is a single developer, so what he has accomplished so far is quite amazing. Since I am a developer myself, I can actually admit that developing on your own can be a very tricky and intimidating thing to do, especially when you get stuck. It seems the developer of this project always curves an solution to every barrier he faces when wanting to fix a bug or add a new feature in the product.

Good work @Dani Santos, keep going as you are. Forget the "limits" and keep developing new features and making this software more and more stable. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Shran

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 19, 2015
The detection was due to a bug in Xvirus Personal Guard on one of the beta versions (if I can remember correctly).

In a beta version of Xvirus 5.0, there was a database issue where if the database was somehow corrupted, it would move to detect everything it scanned. Therefore, Norton Malware Analysts must have experienced this bug, having all the Windows files detected.

This product is safe. Although, I believe testing new programs in a Virtual Machine is a very wise choice and even though I know this product is safe to use (the current version is at least), I do not advise against what you are doing because a recommendation I give to people quite often would be to test new programs in a Virtual Machine say on case. The fact you test new programs in a VM is very good for your security configuration and should help prevent you becoming infected by programs which are in actual fact malicious software.

Thank you for explanation :cool:

I wasn't saying I personally suspected it of being malicious though, I know it wouldn't be here if it were, lol.

D

Deleted member 21043

Can I use it as fulltime main antivirus
No and yes.

It is not and never was designed to be used as a main Antivirus product. However, if you really wanted you could use it with Real-Time protection and have no AV.

Of course you as a user have to make the decision of if you wish to trust the product as your main Antivirus product or not.

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
A good review at http://www.tecoreviews.com/reviews/xvirus-personal-guard/
(I haven't read the whole thread. Pardon me if this has already been done.)

Test Results

Coming to our Malware Removal test, the product successfully managed to remove 99.8% of the samples, which is more than what Kaspersky Internet Security was able to remove in our test. Xvirus Personal Guard missed 2 of the samples, whereas Kaspersky Internet Security missed 86.

Throughout the review, Xvirus Personal Guard used around 57mb – 67mb of RAM, which is outstanding compared to what other products use. As a quick comparison, Kaspersky Internet Security used around 30mb – 400+ of RAM.

Never ran into tecoreviews.com/TechReviews before. People's opinions on it?

Reactions: frogboy
Y

yigido

No and yes.

It is not and never was designed to be used as a main Antivirus product. However, if you really wanted you could use it with Real-Time protection and have no AV.

Of course you as a user have to make the decision of if you wish to trust the product as your main Antivirus product or not.
I am using it as a main antivirus right now with ZAM :)
No need for others common sense enough with XVirus :)

D

Deleted member 21043

I am using it as a main antivirus right now with ZAM :)
No need for others common sense enough with XVirus :)
Yes, however you are a very advanced user and know what you are doing. Although even with an on-demand scanner as well (assuming you were using ZAM on-demand over Real-Time protection (I will pretend you are using it on-demand if you aren't as an example)) if the main Antivirus product does not detect a threat before the code is executed then it may be too late to prevent the effects regardless of having an on-demand scanner or not. Think of it this way: Ransomware infection - then the on-demand scanner (e.g. ZAM) picks it up... But the work may have already been done... Files encrypted... Same can apply to other types of malware.

The reason I said "Yes and no" earlier is because if someone who does not really know what they are doing/does not have a lot of experience comes to this thread and see's me or someone else say it should be used as a main Antivirus (even after the developer has previously mentioned it was not designed to be used as one) and then they start downloading random things and visiting suspicious links then... (Xvirus BB may catch something but it won't catch the process behind the activity - meaning if the signature-based/heuristic detection misses something and the user is not aware of the program behind the infection then they may be in a bit of trouble if they have no idea what they should do, by then where it may be too late).

I thought it was designed to be ran alongside an AV which is why I said this (or a more matured Anti-Malware product like EAM, ZAM). If I am wrong then please correct me Dani.

Of course I can be wrong and Xvirus Personal Guard was designed to be used as a main Antivirus product... @Dani Santos Can you reply to @sinu as the point of view from you being the developer of the product?

Last edited by a moderator:

Dani Santos

From Xvirus
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Jun 3, 2014
@sinu @kram7750 @yigido The program was designed to be a companion av jsut like malware bytes pro or even iobit malware fighter (dont try the last one :p), but just like this 2 products the user can choice to use it solo, i jsut do not recommend it because it has not the same detetion as a full suite antivirus.

Mops21

Level 34
Verified
Honorary Member
Content Creator
Oct 25, 2014
Hi Dani Santos

I have 3 Files for you see my screenshot. I will send the Files to Malware1 via pm

With best Regards
Mops21

Attachments

• Xvirus Personal Guard 5.3.2.0 FPs Part 2.jpg
    Xvirus Personal Guard 5.3.2.0 FPs Part 2.jpg
    201.5 KB · Views: 347
Reactions: Dani Santos
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.