Assigned Zemana Anti-Malware 2.0

This thread is being handled by a member of the staff.

enaph

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 14, 2011
I don't like this changes and the explanation that you want to keep Zemana as simple as possible is weird...
Me either bro. I don't like apps which are trying to be smarter than the user and talking about recovering files from quarantine doesn't convince me as hitting the "ignore" button is much easier than recovering files. Not really a good move imho.

adnage19

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Sep 22, 2016
Me either bro. I don't like apps which are trying to be smarter than the user and talking about recovering files from quarantine doesn't convince me as hitting the "ignore" button is much easier than recovering files. Not really a good move imho.
And considering that Zemana has a tendency to giving FP's, "ask user" action is a must have.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
We chose to remove this option because it is used only by < 1% of users. If something is quarantined you can restore it from quarantine easily and it will create exclusion by default. I said this once, at Zemana we believe in as simpler experience as possible and option like this one is going to be removed if it is not needed or is being used by small amount of customers.
Why not have it as an option that is disabled by default? That way the 1% of users can enable it if they want.

Last edited:

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
I don't like the removal of Deep Scan, according the program itself scans are now Smart Scans, why keep dumbing down the program? I also don't like a pay for program being used to advertise the Android version, a small thing perhaps but I really don't like it. All in the latest changes are a backward step as I see it.

Simplification is good to a point, personally I think users are now being regarded as simpletons.

Last edited:

TwinHeadedEagle

Level 41
Verified
Mar 8, 2013
Nothing has changed when it comes to malware removal and protection and Zemana is getting improvements all the time. I mentioned this on Wilders, deep scan wasn't that useful and needed option, if you need it so badly, then make a scan with your antivirus or with Eset online scan, because that is basically the same thing. I never liked the antivirus scans, because they take forever to finish and I believe that you don't need Zemana deep scan too. Maybe we introduce it again, who knows ;)

The same thing is with Interactive mode that has been removed. It was a useful option for only a small amount of people but since Zemana database of legitimate programs is growing bigger and bigger, there should be less false positive detections.

If developer chose to remove these options it means two things:
- Used by small amount of people
- More code than needed, meaning more bugs, worse optimization and higher resource usage

Last edited:

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
In a different system I had also ZAM portable Premium with a 1 promo license (ZAM-PCPRO) and I had still more than 300 days ahead and I've lost also the Premium licence! :confused::eek::oops:o_O:mad:

I don't want to be paranoid, but I'm starting to think ZAM did that to kill all the latest promos of ZAM which gave many Premium/free licenses to many users...
I have to say that deleting ZAM Portable and installing ZAM (installer) new version I've recovered both licensed valid days (my Premium for 3 PCs/3 years and my Promo for 1 PC) :)

So, there is an issue with ZAM portable new build...

tim one

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 31, 2014
I feel my system less secure because of this lack: the deep scan checks areas of the system that the quick/normal scan does not perform and that is the reasonable cause why it was implemented.
But just a honest feedback, the devs will have their valid reasons for this choice.

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
I feel my system less secure because of this lack: the deep scan checks areas of the system that the quick/normal scan does not perform and that is the reasonable cause why it was implemented.
But just a honest feedback, the devs will have their valid reasons for this choice.
Yes i feel the same
Yes i feel the same here. :eek:

Last edited:

rosendalek

Level 3
Verified
Aug 16, 2016
used to be able to manually choose what engines you wanted to use in the cloud, hope they bring that feature back soon. as for deep scan, i just do a contextual scan of my c: drive. problem solved

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
The same thing is with Interactive mode that has been removed. It was a useful option for only a small amount of people but since Zemana database of legitimate programs is growing bigger and bigger, there should be less false positive detections.
It's not just about false positives, they are only part of the problem. I have some PUPs installed on my system, which I installed myself and want to keep. It's understandable (and a good thing too) that ZAM detects these, but I would not want ZAM, or any other security software, to remove them without asking me first. I don't care if you can go the quarantine and restore the files and they then get whitelisted, I want to be able to whitelist the files before they are quarantined. This issue does not affect me directly as I've never enabled realtime protection in ZAM, but will be an issue for some users who use it with realtime protection enabled.

I refuse to use any antivirus which is not able to prompt every single time that a threat is found. My current antivirus does actualy auto quarantine files, but at least it always lets me know when it has quarantined a file, and gives me the option to go directily to the quanratine and restore and whitelist the file. I will keep using ZAM, since I don't use realtime protection, and it has excellent detection rates, but I will never enable the realtime protection.

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
used to be able to manually choose what engines you wanted to use in the cloud, hope they bring that feature back soon. as for deep scan, i just do a contextual scan of my c: drive. problem solved
That was removed a long time ago. So, I doubt they will ever bring it back.

Reactions: XhenEd

XIII

Level 5
Verified
Sep 20, 2016
Every legitimate anti-malware and anti-virus solution has an "ask user", "quick scan" and a "full/deep scan". Removing a feature that is an absolute standard in the cybersecurity industry because "we thought it was useless" is the opposite of advancement. I've been a huge supporter of ZAM for quite some time, but multiple balls have been dropped here.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.