Jan 14, 2019
Windows Edition
Pro
Security updates
Allow security updates and latest features
User Access Control
Notify me only when programs try to make changes to my computer
Real-time security
Kaspersky Internet Security version 19.0.0.1088 (d)
Firewall security
Periodic malware scanners
Kaspersky Internet Security
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Chrome, Firefox, Brave
Maintenance tools
Wise Disk Cleaner
File and Photo backup
Google Drive
System recovery
None
Risk factors
    • Logging into my bank account
    • Browsing to popular websites
    • Streaming audio/video content from shady sites
    • Browsing to unknown / untrusted / shady sites
    • Working from home
Computer specs
  • Device brand and model - Dell 5570
  • CPU model - 8th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-8550U @ 1.80GHz 4 cores
  • GPU model - AMD Radeon 530 4GB GDDR5
  • RAM type and size - 16GB DDR4
  • Storage type and size - 256GB SSD and 2TB HDD
Notes by Staff Team
  1. This setup configuration does not have a backup plan. We strongly recommend to add a backup solution for your data so that you can restore it in the case of an emergency.
    Backing up allows the recovery of data that has been lost due of a malware attack (eg. ransomware) or a hard disk crash. In such events you might lose family photos, your music collection, documents, or financial data. Backups are fast and simple to perform so it should be done on a regular basis.

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
Please kindly consider for "Disk Imaging Backup", You may add Macrium Reflect Free or AOEMI Backupper, both are free and reliably.

Consider also to run manual backups of important data to external devices not only in cloud.

Please kindly reflect Your changes editing Your config, and announcing them here, thanks for sharing Your config :giggle:

Lightning_Brian

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Sep 1, 2017
Hello @zkSnark !

Thanks for posting your configuration.

First and foremost I would like to see you implement a great backup program! I have some great and free programs for you to try out.

Please try out either of these two:

1) Macirum Reflect (Free). Link: Macrium Software | Macrium Reflect Free

If you find you like Macrium Reflect look into using viBoot along side Macrium Reflect! Link: Macrium Software | Macrium viBoot

2) AOMEI Backupper Standard (Free) Link: Best Free Backup Software for Windows 10, Windows 8.1/8, Windows 7, Vista, XP

Suggestion for virus and malware removal tools:

1) EEK - Emsisoft Emgergency Kit (Free) Link: Emsisoft | Emergency Kit: Free Portable Malware Scan and Removal

2) Norton Power Eraser (Free) Link: Norton Rescue Tools

I would highly suggest upgrading to Windows 10 build 1809!

Good suggestions for web security:

uBlock Origin (ad blocker & free) or AdGuard Free

Just saw @harlan4096 post. I agree 100% with @harlan4096 ! I was in the middle of typing mine up when yours came through. haha

~Brian

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
Without backup:emoji_sob:
how-to-be-safe-from-ransomware-virus.jpg

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
Please look at Macrium Reflect, it's essential you have some sort of backup in place as ransomware will wreck havoc on a system, may not happen, but never a good idea to tempt fate.

~LDogg

zkSnark

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 13, 2019
@Lightning_Brian How do I upgrade to Windows 10 build 1809? Since I have Windows Update turned on, will the Windows Update automatically update and upgrade Windows 10 Build 1803 to Build 1809?

zkSnark

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 13, 2019
Thanks @harlan4096 ! Does manually upgrading Build version install Windows from the start and I will need to take backup? Or is it just like Windows update done automatically where backup is not needed?

Reactions: harlan4096

- @Cerberus I don't use vpn all the time. And I haven't installed Expressvpn addon, just the app. That's why I use HTTPS Everywhere addon.
@Umbra Without WebRTC Limiter on Chrome, vpn leaks real ip.
I recommend downloading the ExpressVPN extension then. ExpressVPN does not have to be on to utilize HTTPS Everywhere. The ExpressVPN extension can also block WebRTC.

MT.png

zkSnark

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 13, 2019
Upgraded Windows 10 to October Update version 1809.

While upgrading via Update Assistant, G-Data Security was interfering with updates. It quarantined some components of upgrade and upgrade failed. Uninstalled G-Data and installed Kaspersky Internet Security 2019 and then upgraded successfully to Windows 10 October Update.

zkSnark

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 13, 2019
Just went through suggestions here on Macrium and AOMEI Backupper and most people seem to be on the side of Macrium.

As a general user, I use my home laptop for images, videos, few Excel, Word files daily and some other applications. I use C: Drive (SSD) for major installations only and use D: Drive (HDD) for saving my files and install some applications. Current space used is around 110GB on C and 600GB on D drives.

My ISP allows daily bandwidth of around 12GB only. At such, initially, I think I will have to backup almost 700GB on the cloud drive part by part daily. However, my confusion is on Differential vs Incremental backups. So for me, which backup is more suitable and fast, secure enough to store backups on cloud drive and/or external drive?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.