Battle Alternative Required. Kaspersky Internet Security vs...?

Compare list
Norton
F-Secure
eset
Bitdefender
Avast
Avira
McAfee

superleeds27

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Apr 5, 2017
Hi all.

I'm looking for something alternative to KIS. With the latest web browsing issue that wont be fixed for up to ~4 weeks, and the issue with it destroying all my email attachments around 9-12 months ago I'm on the look out for something else.

I've been looking on here at the threads, the videos, the comparisons and I cant make my mind up!

What's everyone else's thoughts?

Firewall included would preferred, unless there's a reason it's not needed?

Thanks in advance :)

amirr

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
For Norton, you mentioned, I recommend reading this:

superleeds27

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Apr 5, 2017
1.Bitdefender/Has firewall
2.F- Secure/Does not have an inclusive firewall
These two are a good choice :)
Bitdefender has a reputation for being a hog doesn't it? I remember trying it a few years ago and wasn't impressed!

F-secure seems to get good reviews lately and I realise that doesn't have a firewall as such, but integrates with Windows Firewall doesn't it?

superleeds27

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Apr 5, 2017
For Norton, you mentioned, I recommend reading this:
It's the high False positives that kind of put me off this one. As well as the introduction of all that crypto stuff too 😏

Shadowra

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
Noticed on your last test of ESET that the MBR ended up infected though?

Yes, but it could have happened with any antivirus :)
The problem with ESET is that their default HIPS is too "light", but it contains an excellent virus database !

You have @RoboMan and @SFox who made a file to correct this ;)

superleeds27

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Apr 5, 2017
Yes, but it could have happened with any antivirus :)
The problem with ESET is that their default HIPS is too "light", but it contains an excellent virus database !

You have @RoboMan and @SFox who made a file to correct this ;)
That's the drawback for ESET for me and has been previously. Out the box is a bit meh. Needs to be tweaked.

Just want something that works out the box and doesn't need tweaks/fixes etc. Hence why i like Kaspersky. Just the issues at the minute. Hmm...

Shadowra

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
That's the drawback for ESET for me and has been previously. Out the box is a bit meh. Needs to be tweaked.

Just want something that works out the box and doesn't need tweaks/fixes etc. Hence why i like Kaspersky. Just the issues at the minute. Hmm...

Otherwise why don't you try F-Secure? Many of us use it on MT :D

Reactions: Venustus

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Out of all your requirements, BitDefender is your choice:
  1. It's light (one of the lightest there is, it's not heavy as it was in the past)
  2. It's smart and efficient (doesn't need the user, it's sophisticated and sensitive, reactive to all malware, including newest)
  3. It's ransomware-proof (include ransomware rollback module in case any file was affected)
  4. It has on of the best internet protection modules (its only extension is widely used amongst users of other AVs), great against phishing, malicious sites
  5. Has a firewall which works with app reputation
  6. Has banking protection, and payment protection, includes VPN
Doesn't have bloatware. Doesn't bother you. Doesn't need you. It just works on its own and it's extremely easy to use.

G

Guilhermesene

Hi all.

I'm looking for something alternative to KIS. With the latest web browsing issue that wont be fixed for up to ~4 weeks, and the issue with it destroying all my email attachments around 9-12 months ago I'm on the look out for something else.

I've been looking on here at the threads, the videos, the comparisons and I cant make my mind up!

What's everyone else's thoughts?

Firewall included would preferred, unless there's a reason it's not needed?

Thanks in advance :)
Sorry to intrude, but just for information.

The problem about Web Browsing relating to Kaspersky (if it is the same problem I am thinking of - ERR_HTTP2_PROTOCOL_ERROR) will soon be fixed.

The issue that is occurring is already known to the Kaspersky staff, and the entire development and support team are working on fixing it.

The issue will be resolved with patch 'h', which is scheduled for gradual release from January 31st until February 14th.

Meanwhile, you can alternatively add the problematic sites to the exclusions under SettingsNetwork settingsTrusted addressesAdd.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.