Battle Alternative Required. Kaspersky Internet Security vs...?

Compare list
Norton
F-Secure
eset
Bitdefender
Avast
Avira
McAfee

superleeds27

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Apr 5, 2017
Hi all.

I'm looking for something alternative to KIS. With the latest web browsing issue that wont be fixed for up to ~4 weeks, and the issue with it destroying all my email attachments around 9-12 months ago I'm on the look out for something else.

I've been looking on here at the threads, the videos, the comparisons and I cant make my mind up!

What's everyone else's thoughts?

Firewall included would preferred, unless there's a reason it's not needed?

Thanks in advance :)

superleeds27

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Apr 5, 2017
the email attachment underscore is a security feature, it is intended behavior
you seem to just be a disgruntled user with unrealistic expectations of fix-it-now and perfection, you will find unacceptable fault eventually no matter what you install
Eh? It was a major issue and was renaming all attachments upon landing in outlook. It wasn't intended and the fix then was to disable attachment renaming altogether. Claimed they couldn't undo the issue then under pressure from customers, finally released a convoluted fix. See here

Its an accumulation of issues over the space of a year.

I'm not demanding a fix it this minute approach. My point was, the issue was reported, the issue has been replicated, they know what's causing it, they know what the fix is, but can't push the update for another 2-4 weeks?

If you take a look at the official thread on their forum, you'll see that this has impacted customers businesses (people ringing or emailing asking why their website is down - it's not, it's done to the AV), COVID related websites etc.

It's a pretty big issue.

I'm fine with finding fault. We're human after all, it's how the faults and mistakes are handled that matters. :)

Last edited:

SpiderWeb

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Aug 21, 2020
ESET ESET ESET. Not even close. Lightest, least intrusive. Does exactly what it should.

Personally I would rather tweak Kaspersky than to go through the hassle of uninstalling that monster. Once you install Kaspersky the only way to fully uninstall is to restore a backup or reinstall Windows lol. Please don't go anywhere near Bitdefender. It's just as problematic. The rest of them don't bother.

superleeds27

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Apr 5, 2017
Personally I would rather tweak Kaspersky than to go through the hassle of uninstalling that monster. Once you install Kaspersky the only way to fully uninstall is to restore a backup or reinstall Windows lol. Please don't go anywhere near Bitdefender. It's just as problematic. The rest of them don't bother.
Never had an issue uninstalling Kaspersky

What was your decision @superleeds27? Did you continue with Kaspersky? Did you switch AV? If yes, which one did you choose?

Just curious about your decision not important 😗😄
Trying out bitdefender on a spare laptop for the time being.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018

amirr

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
I have bunch of friends that use norton and never had any issues with it
Eset is usually one of firsts on virustotal detecting phishing/malware pages what i have seen aswell

But since norton and crypto i would go with f secure myself
I also started using norton-360-premium , which I bought it from @SerialCart its great product.
I have used Kaspersky Internet Security for many many years since 2006, also uses ESET and F-Secure.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Using KIS for sometimes now and it will be expiring in 12 days time. Thinking of giving ESET Smart Security Premium a try. FI, I used ESET many years ago.

Happy with KIS with no issues but it seems Kaspersky looks like not having new features or no need of new features in its current state. Please don't talk to me about Russia-Ukraine war.........unless Kaspersky’s servers are affected like their presence are being banned in many countries and affecting the performance

As for ESET it'll come with some new features once a while like the LiveGuard now

Any opinions? Thanks

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.