Antivirus Removal Tool - The technician friendly tool to detect and completely remove antivirus software.

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
I wonder if you use this tool, if it will delete the kaspersky "klBackupDepository.dat" in the "System Volume Information" that K leave behind in there when you uninstall.... ?
I read in this forum. That both Kaspersky and Bitdefender apparently leave files there.

I haven’t checked in my computer nor used this tool yet.

Reactions: Nevi and franz

AlexCa

From Windows Repair Toolbox
Thread author
Verified
Developer
Apr 30, 2016
@Azure
This program uses an AV company uninstaller program, right?

I haven't uses Kaspersky uninstaller in a while. But I can confirm this issue happened to me.

I have no idea if it has been fixed yet. But I wanted to ask, could I encounter the same issue with your removal tool?

Hi Azure, yes, the program will run the specialized uninstaller provided by the AV manufacturer. So, if Kaspersky uninstaller has that issue, you'll also encounter it while running it through ART.

AlexCa

Thread author
Verified
Developer
Apr 30, 2016
Last edited:

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018

AlexCa

Thread author
Verified
Developer
Apr 30, 2016
Bitdefender free antivirus too?
They don't provide a dedicated tool specifically for the free version, however... for their consumer products, they provide only one dedicated uninstaller for the different versions.

For instance, "Bitdefender_2022_Uninstall_Tool.exe" is the dedicated uninstaller for "Bitdefender Antivirus Plus", "Bitdefender Internet Security" and "Bitdefender Total Security".

Although on their website they make a distinction between paid versions and trial versions, and between "Bitdefender Antivirus Plus", "Bitdefender Internet Security" and "Bitdefender Total Security" the uninstaller file is always the same (I've checked the SHA256).

The uninstaller changes from year to year though, you have "Bitdefender_2022_Uninstall_Tool.exe", "Bitdefender_2020_Uninstall_Tool.exe", "Bitdefender_2019_Uninstall_Tool.exe", and so on.

In short, I would say that the same uninstaller will work for the free version too (the uninstaller that's from the same year of the free version). Obviously, this is just an educated guess based on what I've explained above. I've opened a support ticket asking that question and will update here when I receive a reply.

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
They don't provide a dedicated tool specifically for the free version, however... for their consumer products, they provide only one dedicated uninstaller for the different versions.

For instance, "Bitdefender_2022_Uninstall_Tool.exe" is the dedicated uninstaller for "Bitdefender Antivirus Plus", "Bitdefender Internet Security" and "Bitdefender Total Security".

Although on their website they make a distinction between paid versions and trial versions, and between "Bitdefender Antivirus Plus", "Bitdefender Internet Security" and "Bitdefender Total Security" the uninstaller file is always the same (I've checked the SHA256).

The uninstaller changes from year to year though, you have "Bitdefender_2022_Uninstall_Tool.exe", "Bitdefender_2020_Uninstall_Tool.exe", "Bitdefender_2019_Uninstall_Tool.exe", and so on.

In short, I would say that the same uninstaller will work for the free version too (the uninstaller that's from the same year of the free version). Obviously, this is just an educated guess based on what I've explained above. I've opened a support ticket asking that question and will update here when I receive a reply.
I can use the bitdefender 2022 uninstall tool to uninstall bitdefender free antivirus then?

AlexCa

Thread author
Verified
Developer
Apr 30, 2016
Glad I opened a ticket to Bitdefender support because my educated guess was wrong: there's a dedicated uninstaller for the free version of Bitdefender. I'll probably add it to the next version of ART.

"Hello Alex,

Thank you for reaching out to us and I hope you are doing well. I'll do my best to assist you with getting Bitdefender set up on your devices.

To remove all traces of Bitdefender Free Edition from your personal computer, please download the Uninstall Tool, linked below, and run the executable file as administrator:

https://www.bitdefender.com/files/KnowledgeBase/file/BD_Free_Uninstall_Tool.exe

Alex, hope that helps and please get back to me if there's anything else I can assist with."

Pat MacKnife

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 14, 2015
I think its the uninstaller for previous version (Bitdefender free Edition) now latest BD free is based on the same line-up (home product) like total security.... already used latest uninstaller for Total and BD free was completly gone. (uninstall first with Hibit , Revo or GeekUninstaller and then run BD uninstaller)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.