Antivirus Removal Tool - The technician friendly tool to detect and completely remove antivirus software.

AlexCa

From Windows Repair Toolbox
Thread author
Verified
Developer
Apr 30, 2016
I just ran this tool after uninstalling Panda free Av with their own uninstaller. No leftovers. Then i ran - Driver store explorer - to look after old drivers, it found 21 of them from Panda.

I've tested the described by @pxxb1 , and Antivirus Removal Tool detected the leftover folders: panda_free_test.mp4

After doing what is shown in the video, I've proceeded to run the dedicated uninstaller, because I thought that @pxxb1 might be referring to it (if that was the case, the problem would be the Panda dedicated uninstaller not removing those old drivers, but decided to try it anyway). But the result was that ART still detected leftover folders (not removed by the dedicated uninstaller), and that Driver Store Explorer didn't find any old driver left behind by Panda dedicated uninstaller.

PS: sorry for accelerating speed of the video, the original was 20 minutes due to slow VM and slow internet connection at the moment. It took me quite some time and attempts to be able to record it.

Last edited:

pxxb1

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jan 17, 2018
I've tested the described by @pxxb1 , and Antivirus Removal Tool detected the leftover folders: panda_free_test.mp4

After doing what is shown in the video, I've proceeded to run the dedicated uninstaller, because I thought that @pxxb1 might be referring to it (if that was the case, the problem would be the Panda dedicated uninstaller not removing those old drivers, but decided to try it anyway). But the result was that ART still detected leftover folders (not removed by the dedicated uninstaller), and that Driver Store Explorer didn't find any old driver left behind by Panda dedicated uninstaller.

PS: sorry for accelerating speed of the video, the original was 20 minutes due to slow VM and slow internet connection at the moment. It took me quite some time and attempts to be able to record it.

What version of Panda free did you use and from where did you download the Panda uninstaller? Also the version of the uninststaller?

AlexCa

Thread author
Verified
Developer
Apr 30, 2016
I just ran this tool after uninstalling Panda free Av with their own uninstaller. No leftovers. Then i ran - Driver store explorer - to look after old drivers, it found 21 of them from Panda.

I've downloaded the latest version of Panda Free AV from here: Free antivirus for Windows and Android
And uninstalled it with its own uninstaller (Control Panel > Add / Remove Programs), as you described. After restarting, I ran a scan with ART, and leftover folders were detected.

So, I thought that when you said "with their own uninstaller" you might be referring to the specialized uninstaller. So, I also did that test, and ART also detected some leftover folders. But even if it didn't detected any folders and there were still old drivers in the system, at that point (after running the specialized uninstaller) the program already did what it proposes itself to do. ART doesn't do any additional cleaning besides what the specialized uninstaller do.

Specialized uninstaller: http://resources.downloads.pandasecurity.com/tools/uninstaller.exe

Last edited:

sepik

Level 11
Verified
Well-known
Aug 21, 2018
Hello,
When you uninstall an AV by using their own uninstaller, they often does not clear the drivers. Tho those drivers are not in use when you boot up your 'puter and those entries are in yellow color when you run autoruns. That's why good registry cleaner comes handy, or use privazer/R-Wipe & Clean to clean obsolete driverstore registry entries. I've just ran that driver store software scanner thingy, nothing "driver" leftovers found.

Kind regards,
-sepik

pxxb1

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jan 17, 2018
I've downloaded the latest version of Panda Free AV from here: Free antivirus for Windows and Android
And uninstalled it with its own uninstaller (Control Panel > Add / Remove Programs), as you described. After restarting, I ran a scan with ART, and leftover folders were detected.

So, I thought that when you said "with their own uninstaller" you might be referring to the specialized uninstaller. So, I also did that test, and ART also detected some leftover folders. But even if it didn't detected any folders and there were still old drivers in the system, at that point (after running the specialized uninstaller) the program already did what it proposes itself to do. ART doesn't do any additional cleaning besides what the specialized uninstaller do.

Specialized uninstaller: http://resources.downloads.pandasecurity.com/tools/uninstaller.exe

Hi

I am too lazy to dig deeper into this but what i know for shure is that: i uninstalled Panda free with their dedicated uninstaller that i downloaded from Majorgeeks. (panda have several over the net and some does not do better than Windows d.o). Installed a new Av. Run A.R.T, it did not find anything. Ran Autorun and Driver store explorer and they found all thoose drivers.

Maybe compatibility problem with just my set up, i dont know.

Anyway, good luck with the program! A program like this is needed and largely appreciated.

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018

AlexCa

Thread author
Verified
Developer
Apr 30, 2016
Hello everyone,

An updated version of Antivirus Removal Tool has been released, version 2020.12 (v.1).

### Fixed:
- When a third-party antivirus is detected by the application, Windows Defender shouldn't be shown in the currently installed antivirus section.
However, in some circumstances, it was shown anyway.

### Changed:
- Updated the following uninstallers: Avast, AVG, Emsisoft, Kaspersky, Mcafee, Norton, Symantec.

- Removed eventual duplicated entries from the currently installed antivirus section (these would occur because sometimes AV's leave or create duplicated entries in the WMI's database).

### Removed:
- Removed the uninstaller for MaxSecure due to PUA detection from Windows Defender.

Homepage: Antivirus Removal Tool - The technician friendly tool to detect and completely remove antivirus software.

Thank you!

Last edited:

AlexCa

Thread author
Verified
Developer
Apr 30, 2016

AlexCa

Thread author
Verified
Developer
Apr 30, 2016

AlexCa

Thread author
Verified
Developer
Apr 30, 2016
Hello everyone,

An updated version of Antivirus Removal Tool has been released, version 2021.05 (v.1).

### Changed:
- Updated the following uninstallers: Avast, AVG, BigFix, Emsisoft, GData, Mcafee, Norton.

Thank you!

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.