Are you married to any antivirus program?

It is my general observation that those people who stick with the same security programs over the long term tend to be more safe and have a better overall user experience than those that switch frequently.

There is a different between a user testing & evaluating softs versus switching constantly because the user has nagging doubts about the protection capabilities of a product.

Very well put, Lockdown. Just out of curiosity, what security program(s) are you presently using?

I have licenses for just about anything commercially available for consumers.

I prefer security solutions based upon default deny or behavior blocking. My personal favorites which you will find in mostly minimal combos on my personal and test systems including the multitude of VMs that I maintain:

Specialized Protection:
  • AppGuard
  • Macrium Reflect
  • NoVirusThanks Exe Radar Pro
  • ReHIPS
  • Rollback RX Pro
  • Shadow Defender
  • SpyShelter FW
  • VMWare Workstation Pro
General Protection (I prefer behavior blockers):
  • Emsisoft (EAM or EIS)
  • G DATA (GIS or GTS)
  • Kaspersky (KIS)
Arcabit had a very good showing and feature set, but it currently has a few too many bugs.

On personal systems, AppGuard + Emsisoft or G DATA or SpyShelter FW. Those combos are already overkill because of SRP AppGuard.

Last edited by a moderator:

Great report.
Many thanks.:)

ESET is good too. I just don't like its old-school GUI. Otherwise it is solid. The vast majority of softs nowadays are solid. It is when people start thinking about their security configs within the context of CIA hackers pen-testing their home system with helicopters hovering over their rooftop and agents repelling down ropes that their perspective on security goes off the deep end - well, you get the picture... a lot of people want their bottle rocket to be a MX missle. Those types also want the same concept out of their security softs too - and that leads to a lot of disappointment based upon wholly deranged desires and expectations.

Just find something that works for you personally on your specific system and stick with it.

I agree with you Lockdown.
In my case, I generally don't feel a spaztik need out of boredom to change a Security solution(s),
unless it acts weirdly or because I'm paranoid about it.
The way Things feel now, I can almost feel the ring on my finger regarding Mrs. FeatherSoft,
as long as She doesn't change too much or go off Her hinges.
And I am no manik fanboy of Her, but She is mature and i feel naturally committed to her already after just a couple of months. :)

I blame a lot of user paranoia on the IT security news & reporting. Combine articles that are tantamount to fear-mongering with user ignorance and the end result is pretty predictable:

This is just one reason why I like G DATA (this is pretty awesome):

Behavior Monitoring of the Philadelphia Ransomware sample just posted to the MT Malware Hub a few minutes ago

Start time Type Header Status
2017-07-21 03:18:37 Behavior monitoring Unknown threat Done
AVA 25.13476
GD 25.10046
*** Process ***
Process: 11500
File name: Philadelphia_latest.exe
Path: c:\users\lockdown\desktop\philadelphia_latest\philadelphia_latest.exe
Publisher: Unknown publisher
Creation date: Friday, July 21, 2017 3:15:45 AM
Modification date: Friday, July 21, 2017 9:03:02 AM
Started by: Philadelphia_latest.exe
Publisher: Unknown publisher

*** Actions ***
A packer was run on the program file, possibly to conceal malicious content.
The program has created files and folders that can be used to endanger the system.
The program establishes a network connection.
The program has created or manipulated an executable file.
The program has read data from its own program file.
The program created a copy of itself.
An executable file was stored in a suspicious location.

*** Quarantine ***
The following files were moved into quarantine:
C:\Users\Lockdown\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\IE\57CHPOZI\BIKSR0B0.htm
C:\Users\Lockdown\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\IE\AAKDF6IH\LYJNXLPA.htm
C:\Users\Lockdown\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCookies\TT1PK6YC.cookie
C:\Users\Lockdown\AppData\Local\Temp\aut3019.tmp
C:\Users\Lockdown\AppData\Local\Temp\aut302A.tmp
C:\Users\Lockdown\AppData\Local\Temp\aut302B.tmp
C:\Users\Lockdown\AppData\Local\Temp\aut303B.tmp
C:\Users\Lockdown\AppData\Local\Temp\aut3086.tmp
C:\Users\Lockdown\AppData\Local\Temp\delph1.bin
C:\Users\Lockdown\AppData\Local\Temp\delph1.dat
C:\Users\Lockdown\AppData\Local\Temp\delphi.au3.509
C:\Users\Lockdown\AppData\Local\Temp\pd4ta.bin
C:\Users\Lockdown\AppData\Local\Temp\pd4ta.dat
C:\Users\Lockdown\AppData\Roaming\40E49DE9CC2B41610C9D2F936CBBFC74
C:\Users\Lockdown\AppData\Roaming\Isass.exe
C:\Users\Lockdown\Desktop\Philadelphia_latest\Philadelphia_latest.exe
C:\Windows\Temp\avkhttp_030847454_067c33b9.tmp
C:\Windows\Temp\avkhttp_031523918_0b3c9d19.tmp
The following registry entries were deleted:

YGLxqHIOLSctJy0mBi4nJycnJgZncoJygmJicCp0gkInKCYGt3KCcoJiYnAsJygnKCYGmXJykCsWjypooC0nKCcoJgbbcnJycmJiwC8nJycnJgZtcoJygmJi4C0WKAiPcvJy8mJi8CknJycnJgbPcnJycmJicLZycnJyYmJwqHKCcoJiYnC4ctJy0mJicOhycnJyYmJwusJhXmO2csJhXmO2cmJicNtycnJyYmJwnXKCcoJiYnCOcnIJ5yonJycnJgb3KScoJygmBugqJwfoKycnJiYnBwA
Rules version: 5.0.148
OS: Windows 10.0 Service Pack 0.0 Build: 15063 - Workstation 64bit OS
dll version: 70613
C:\Users\Lockdown\Desktop\Philadelphia_latest\Philadelphia_latest.exe /AutoIt3ExecuteScript "C:\Users\Lockdown\AppData\Local\Temp\delph1.dat"
MD5: ED0F05CAED1D5DBD129B6E49F0337725
"C:\Users\Lockdown\Desktop\Philadelphia_latest\Philadelphia_latest.exe"
MD5: ED0F05CAED1D5DBD129B6E49F0337725

Cap2.PNG

Cap3.PNG

Last edited by a moderator:

I Believe You and Kudos to Webroot for it, Developers please take note if possible.
I just do not have any experience with Webroot.

Detailed logging is not the trend. The trend is towards less info to the user along with as few alerts as is practicable. It's because the typical user simply cannot cope effectively when faced with too much infos or too many alerts.

Webroot's logging is unknown probably to 99 % of its users.

Exactly, I agree with You to the fullest!
And this is in many ways what frustrates me with the metamorphic evolvement of both
Windows and many software trends in general "in the modern age".
I feel "handicapped" when I can not go "under the Hood" to fix and control SW.
The Paradox being that at the same time, kernels and systems gets more advanced and better
at the same time in many ways also.
And it might be a good thing for general users to not be distracted by messages, popups and advanced settings,
but Developers, please also do not forget advanced system users who depend on and prefer "peeking under the hood"
to in many situations fix and repair serious matters (please include a Win 2k mode if wanted and needed).
  • Most of the people that purchase security softs tend to be over age 40.
  • They are not dumb or stupid people by any means, but instead just happen to be ignorant of IT generally - not to mention security and security softs.
  • The less that a paying user has to fret with a security soft, like answering alerts or pouring over logs, the more highly they rate the soft.
  • The more highly they rate the soft, the more likely they are to re-purchase and generate word-of-mouth sales.
It is a general trend. The industry has been moving away from catering to the whims and wants of "under the hood" type users. However, full automation is not the only thing that consumers look for. If a high level of automation is what everybody wanted, then most home users would be using Bitdefender or Webroot. Security soft sales are complex with a combination of such things as (perceived) reputation within markets, price and intangibles such as the quality of support. There is a whole range of factors.

Publishers cannot satisfy everyone. And advanced users that want the old-school style protection softs have not been the target customer for many years. The target customer nowadays is the typical home user. There's 1,000 typical users for every 1 IT security geek. Would you rather sell to 1,000 typical users or just 1 security soft geek ?

There's a whole lot more to it, but that is jist of it.

kev216

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 6, 2014
On my first computer I've been switching between Norton and Panda for quite some years. Then I had a period where I tried almost every AV there was to see which was the best for me.
Currently using Sophos Home (not the beta version) in combo with heimdal pro for about a year and a half on my laptop and I'm happy with that. Sophos is maybe not the best or most feature-rich product, but very light and no slowdown/lag while browsing and downloading, which I had with multiple other antivirus products. Other people might need more protection, but I'm more than happy with this simple config and a good adblocker like Adguard.

Solarlynx

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 30, 2012
There's no keepers on my main PC, I just feel safer when I have: a FW with outbound control, an AntiExec, an AntiExploit, an AV. Almost all combos work nice. The only keeper is a snapshot time machine, what allows me to try various combos with impunity, now its Eaz-Fix, Rx clone.

Jake Miguel

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Nov 14, 2016
I was just curious because I was introduced to ESET NOD32 about 4 years ago and I like it so much that I have no intention of changing to anything else. It works for me out-of -the box and I will stick with it, probably forever.
Anyone have similar feelings about your favorite programs?
Just checking.

I am married to Eset. I am using it for more than two years now. Before Eset I was only doing one night stands with other security softs.

gantrix

Level 2
Verified
Nov 7, 2013
I gotta say I love Eset and Kaspersky for years now. Kaspersky has never failed me ever. Eset recently called my Nvidia software malware and blocked it. For years now just been using Avira or trying for free trials of Kaspersky. BitDefender, Eset etc just to see how good or so they are but I always fall back to Kaspersky they are not perfect but they have never failed me. When I saw Kaspersky Internet Security 2017 for 17.00$ on Amazon for 1 year 1 PC I hopped on it and be using it for a couple months now. I am a person that if I don't see a pop up or anything I feel not safe but Kaspersky is silent blocks what it needs I am always paranoid so always use on demand scanners like Malwarebytes(cuz I got lifetime before Malwarebytes 3 was released) And currently have Zemana anti-malware got a free key from here just to check if Kaspersky is doing its job they find nothing so Kaspersky wins again. So I may be a bit biased on Kaspersky and Eset but they have always been at the top. Eset was probably just a fluc.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.