New Update Avast acquires 'I don't care about Cookies' browser extension

Bumblebee Uncle

Level 3
Well-known
Mar 15, 2022
Study after study after study (after study after study) has proven it's incredibly easy to re-identify individuals from 'anonymous' data.

They didn't apologise at first, they tried to downplay the ordeal:

He doesn't get to define what a privacy scandal is, and his assertion that the sold data can't be re-identified is, as proven above, false.
Their apology only came over a month after the scandal had broken, and it's clear that they were only sorry they'd got caught, not for their practices, as their 2019 half-year financial presentation boasted about Jumpshot's expansion and revenue generation (they shut down Jumpshot at the beginning of 2020 for context).

So, yeah, not a fan.
Insightful analysis. Thank you for linking the studies. Super helpful :)

212eta

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
May 11, 2011
Code:
Avast acquires I don't care about Cookies browser extension
I hope they don't treat it the way CCleaner was treated...

nicolaasjan

Level 3
May 29, 2023
Fork

This fork has been stale since February 12, but now the maintainer has posted a clarification concerning this inactivity: :)
Sorry for the inactivity and for not maintaining it as well as promised. · Issue #10278 · OhMyGuus/I-Still-Dont-Care-About-Cookies
Sorry all for the inactivity, and not maintaining it as well as promised.

I have been working on my studies for the past few months, which are now in the final stage, meaning you have to follow an internship, and about 60+ hours a week have gone into this.
Sadly, this meant that I didn't have the energy to work on this project. Now, there is a spark of hope; my studies will most likely conclude successfully on January 16th. After that, I will have six weeks of holiday to bring this project and my other projects back on track, and following that period, I will have time alongside work to continue on this and my other projects.

If there are big sites not working, just @OhMyGuus and then I will get a notification on my phone and then I can still work on it.
I will also test and merge all the PR's that are currently open and do a release today/tomorrow.

If there are any questions or things put it here or you can always contact me on discord: thaguus

Just a note: reporting websites is down for a couple of hours going to remove the dupes + add a dupe check.

Spiff

Jul 20, 2023
This fork has been stale since February 12, but now the maintainer has posted a clarification concerning this inactivity: :)
Sorry for the inactivity and for not maintaining it as well as promised. · Issue #10278 · OhMyGuus/I-Still-Dont-Care-About-Cookies

I still don't care about cookies V1.1.2 released. (y)
OhMyGuus wrote, "Just a small version update with the current fixes and android support"
Needs some time to get available in Firefox add-ons, Chrome Web Store, and Edge Add-ons.

nicolaasjan

Level 3
May 29, 2023
OhMyGuus wrote, "Just a small version update with the current fixes and android support"
Needs some time to get available in Firefox add-ons, Chrome Web Store, and Edge Add-ons.
Thanks, I created a .crx for myself on 6:18 this Sunday morning, before reading your post. :)

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
So he is basically saying: Sorry that I was inactive, I will give it a few more weeks and then I will be inactive for a year again.
This extension causes so many issues lately, like webpages failed to load because of blocked notices, I have to replace it. :cautious:

Spiff

Jul 20, 2023
https://github.com/OhMyGuus/I-Still-Dont-Care-About-Cookies/pull/10511
https://github.com/OhMyGuus/I-Still-Dont-Care-About-Cookies/releases/tag/v1.1.2

I still don't care about cookies V1.1.2 is now available for Firefox.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/istilldontcareaboutcookies/
I don't know if it's available in Chrome Web Store and Edge Add-ons as well.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.