App Review Avast Free (Hardened Mode) vs Ransominator

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
It gets top scores AV tests without HM.
Without HM is not very strong . I am not care about avtest. I test it many years alone . ;)

Can you try one more with increased sensitivity? Maybe not post the video but just test it.
have not many diference with the hi sensitivity . But is good to will see thr result (y)

bayasdev

Level 19
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 10, 2015
Can you try one more with increased sensitivity? Maybe not post the video but just test it.
Only HM is able to stop, tried it with maximum sensibility

1587925105228.png

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014

I'm genuinely surprised to see Avast Free blocking my LOLbin inspired ransomware while Kaspersky Free allowed it to execute and encrypt my files.

Is this the end of Ransominator?

Bravo my friend for your test. You gave a reason for the forum to come to life :)

What about AVG free with hardened mode on ? seems its not that strong hardened in AVG .....
If you set avast HM with the new setings is the same level with AVG. If you want stronger mode (aggressive) you must set it from the old settings. On this test is the same lvl like AVG

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Feature wise they're not same... I don't think AVG has the Wifi Inspector (it works on wired networks as well).
Something about the Shields seems to be different too.
You should just uploading screenshots of shields settings to prove what you said otherwise that will be endless discussing...;)

Pat MacKnife

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 14, 2015
Avast has more important features, since Avast bought AVG, it makes no sense using AVG, it's basically the same AV but worse.
Well i have had my problems and bad experience in the past with avast and i don't want it to install anymore on my pc , i still do have a sweet spot for AVG and thats why i prefer AVG over avast.... even now with the same vendor.

Last edited:

DSD27

Level 5
Well-known
Apr 15, 2020
You should just uploading screenshots of shields settings to prove what you said otherwise that will be endless discussing...;)
Google: Avast vs AVG 2020, very easy.

Just by looking at them, I notice that they have different things showing up, AVG has something going on about "protection against hackers", Avast has other naming for the same thing... I don't care.
Avast already copied the best of AVG's protection to itself, it's a matter of time until it moves the rest and who knows when AVG will disappear, I think it's still around only because of its very popular name.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.