Advice Request Best alternative to LastPass 2021

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Eggnog

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Mar 21, 2018
As many of you already know, LastPass is changing to only supporting one device in its free version beginning March 16. LastPass has had some issues since acquired by LogMeIn and I've had trouble from time to time with log ins not working properly. I've been using LastPass for several years but I think it's time for a change. What is a good alternative? I don't care whether it's free or paid, so long as it is secure and reputable, has all the core features you would expect, has a clean interface, is relatively intuitive to use, and doesn't require a doctorate to set up. I already have my LastPass .csv exported so I'm good to go. If it has some useful bells and whistles, that's okay, too. I don't, however, want to pay about $25 over the standard price of other comparable managers for Dashlane just to get its stupid VPN which is just a basic rebrand of HotSpot Shield. Thanks in advance.

entropism

Level 4
Verified
Jul 30, 2019
I think if Personal Security is not your highest concern, then 1Password is not the solution for you.

• The vault does not need to be open all the time
  • It defeats the purpose of a secure password manager
  • Security should not be a convivence
@Spawn, I completely disagree. I'm fully confident about my device security. Nobody is breaking into my home for my computer passwords. If they do, I have a password for my desktop. If someone breaks into my home they're looking for cash, jewelry, something easy to carry, because they want to be in and out quickly. My desktop isn't going anywhere.

If my phone gets lost or stolen, 99.9% of the time it's just going to be sold to be shipped overseas to be resold, or sold for parts. Either way, I'd have securely erased my data WAY before they break my password or biometrics.

I use a password manager not for device security, but for cloud security. I can control who uses my hardware. I can't control when www.shittysitewithshittysecurity.com gets hacked and leaks personal data, and I DEFINITELY can't remember a unique password for every site I have a log-in for. So if they get my log-in and password, they'll have access to a LOT of my log-ins and passwords.

Now, with Bitwarden, or Lastpass, or 1Password, or whoever you want to us, if someone gains access to www.shittysitewithshittysecurity.com, they'll see my username and ^iLgrb&4M@!W4jnNcSoZsWLyZPM5KtEx77TWXYQ56LsXnxgkJd. Not very much they can do with that outside of that website. I know that my other 800 log-ins are safe and secure, and I'll only have to change the password to whatever site was breached.

Upvote 0

JasonUK

Level 5
Apr 14, 2020
Being a bit bored this morning I gave Bitwarden another go this time on both an iPad and a laptop. I can't say I'm impressed. I tried 3 website logins which weren't in my vault and Bitwarden offered to save 0/3 on both devices. I also updated a few passwords which were a bit weak, Bitwarden saved 0/4 of the updated passwords*. What's the point of a password manager which doesn't automatically save/offer to save new data or at best does so sporadically? Vault / extension / desktop application deleted. Will continue to use Lastpass for now as previously posted.

Edit: * I note from video posted by Gandalf_The_Grey earlier in this thread that you seem to have to update Bitwarden with new password before the website rather than Bitwarden updating the vault entry from the updated website login... I suppose you could get used to that process but it just seems wrong :)

Last edited:
Reactions: R2D2 and Eggnog
Upvote 0

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
@Spawn, I completely disagree. I'm fully confident about my device security. Nobody is breaking into my home for my computer passwords. If they do, I have a password for my desktop. If someone breaks into my home they're looking for cash, jewelry, something easy to carry, because they want to be in and out quickly. My desktop isn't going anywhere.
[...]
For yourself, that works, but not everyone is you.

You have to consider other people, and different scenarios where people's data is a target. Corporate, Businesses, Journalists, CEOs etc.

It is 100% better if safeguards are modelled around the worse case scenario.

Reactions: R2D2 and blackice
Upvote 0

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I use Microsoft Authenticator on mobile and it syncs with Edge, so on PC I use the built-in passwords from Edge.

I saw a video from Tek Syndicate recommending NordPass.
If you are looking for a dedicated, secure password manager, I suggest looking at Bitwarden over NordPass Free/Paid.

Bitwarden Premium supports the open-source project and gives you access to more features for only $10 per year. Far cheaper than rival software.
Link: The Bitwarden Platform

Upvote 0

Templarware

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Mar 13, 2021
If you are looking for a dedicated, secure password manager, I suggest looking at Bitwarden over NordPass Free/Paid.

Bitwarden Premium supports the open-source project and gives you access to more features for only $10 per year. Far cheaper than rival software.
Link: The Bitwarden Platform
I've been using BitWarden for some months, but because I use Edge on both PC and phone, I've decided to go with its built-in passwords, much more convenient/quick.
From what I read, it's secure, encrypted to Microsoft servers/your account. Password managers have more features but none that I need.

Upvote 0
F

ForgottenSeer 85179

Upvote 0

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
What's the reason for so many people dismissing Dashlane? It used to be a top service.
They stopped supporting the desktop version and they migrated to web app (browser extension) and people went crazy about it. You can have a look at their Trust Pilot reviews
I personally faced some issues with sync functionality.

@SecurityNightmares I do not this what you mentioned about GRPR is what made people look somewhere else. Most people do not care.

Upvote 0

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
That does not mean it is good or should be tolerated.

No argument for privacy or security in general.
My reply did not, in a way or another, imply that Dashlane should be tolerated. I just pointed out the real reason why so many customers are crazy and went for other alternatives.

It is sad, but yes people do not care, and believe me if Bitwarden was caught with 10 trackers, people would still use it coz it’s free.

Upvote 0

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
I'm testing both Bitwarden and 1Password as sticky is driving me crazy lately. Last one was the android app glitching and forcing me to restart my phone. The easiest way I found to migrate was a perl script that converts sticky password database to 1password format. I had everything converted, including my notes in seconds.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
I'm testing both Bitwarden and !Password as stiky is driving me crazy lately. Last one was the android app glitching and forcing me to restart my phone. The easiest way I found to migrate was a perl script that converts sticky password database to 1password format. I had everything converted, including my notes in seconds.
Sticky Password is a dead project. No real updates. It is a shame for it was a decent password manager. 1Password is much more stable and smarter.

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.