BullGuard has joined Avira as part of NortonLifeLock

F

ForgottenSeer 89360

Avast never removed AVG from the market. I don't think Norton will kill Avira or Bullguard as brands.
When a brand is stable, there is no point of killing it. It will only cause a fiasco and a decline in market share. It makes much more sense to just take what you need from it and enhance it, rather than trying to migrate everyone.

Lightning_Brian

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Sep 1, 2017
When a brand is stable, there is no point of killing it. It will only cause a fiasco and a decline in market share. It makes much more sense to just take what you need from it and enhance it, rather than trying to migrate everyone.
@McMcbrad I would agree. I do not foresee Norton pulling those two companies fully off the market. I think there is a larger play going on here that we aren't fully read into just yet. Like others have said - we shall see in the next few years what becomes of all of this. Could be quite interesting!

For now, I would say the products would for the most part stay the same. Who knows though!

~Brian

Alex92

Level 1
Jan 19, 2021
Looking at the NortonLifeLock Wikipedia page, most of the companies Norton acquired have been incorporated and their products have been rebranded or closed and then their technologies have been incorporated into Norton's software.
I think it will also happen for Avira and Bullguard, they will probably make a free edition of Norton (with a lot of ads).

Reactions: Nevi and Venustus

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
AVIRA now doing advertising UK TV for there free offering, never seen that before?

Norton has been advertising via US TV commercials for a long while now. LifeLock specifically.

No official word on how these brands (Avira, BullGuard) are gonna end up? Still speculation but I noticed Avira and BG are still promoting their products online. Avira even encourages you to have a look at its affiliate partnership with a song in your heart. :D (actually this is a little sloppy, but anyway).

avira.PNG

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
Norton and Trend Micro have closed last financial year with USD 1 bn in revenue and McAfee with almost 2. I don't think anybody feels any pressure from MS Defender.
Meanwhile Microsoft has made $10 billion in revenue in security alone with more than 40 percent year-over-year growth.

About Norton and Trend Micro, you should take a look at Net Income and historical data too.

Attachments

• Capturar.JPG
    Capturar.JPG
    180.3 KB · Views: 478
Reactions: Nevi and Venustus
L

Local Host

Meanwhile Microsoft has made $10 billion in revenue in security alone with more than 40 percent year-over-year growth.

About Norton and Trend Micro, you should take a look at Net Income and historical data too.

You comparing Apples to Oranges, Microsoft Security Business goes far beyond Microsoft Defender (if anything, Microsoft Defender is not mentioned once in their financial report).

F

ForgottenSeer 89360

You comparing Apples to Oranges, Microsoft Security Business goes far beyond Microsoft Defender (if anything, Microsoft Defender is not mentioned once in their financial report).
And NortonLifeLock is consumer security only. McAfee and Trend Micro offer tools for cloud, container security ad well as devops tools for vulnerability assessment. Norton is just selling AV and VPN.
It's not really as if MS destabilised the market.

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014

@McMcbrad

Does it need to? Microsoft Defender is just a part of the security holistic approach that Microsoft is selling, nonetheless Microsoft Defender (and its ATP version) is a core product in that strategy and it is a crucial part of its growing success.

Microsoft for two years in a row is a leader in 5 categories in Gartner Magic Quadrant, no other vendor has near its scale and execution capabilities in the enterprise/business sector and it has more than 50 % of the consumer market share.

So how Microsoft is not putting pressure in its competitors? Big vendors like ESET, McAfee, Kaspersky, Norton, Bitdefender, AVG/Avast, Trend Micro has capabilities to remain lucrative in a continuous competitive market, but this isnt true for smaller and niche players.

Microsoft-Leader-in-5-Gartner-Magic-Quadrants-Endpoint-Protection-e1575556394510-ohq5m9ep32jvs7yoaqlkq71gqq6tmy2tlnv2e7xvn4.png

Source:

F

ForgottenSeer 89360

@Nightwalker
Someone being the leader is not from today or yesterday. Both in business and consumer fields someone has always been the definite leader and these niche players have always existed. Mergers and acquisitions happen for a variety of other reasons, not only due to the high competition. Same can be observed in many other fields.

Also, being the leader is not a tendency that you hit once and hold forever. Many have been leaders throughout the years, they have swung down and then up again. This thread is not about Microsoft at all, so let's try remain on topic.

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
@Nightwalker
Someone being the leader is not from today or yesterday. Both in business and consumer fields someone has always been the definite leader and these niche players have always existed. Mergers and acquisitions happen for a variety of other reasons, not only due to the high competition. Same can be observed in many other fields.

Also, being the leader is not a tendency that you hit once and hold forever. Many have been leaders throughout the years, they have swung down and then up again. This thread is not about Microsoft at all, so let's try remain on topic.

We can agree to disagree, so lets end this discussion about Microsoft.

L

Local Host

@McMcbrad

Does it need to? Microsoft Defender is just a part of the security holistic approach that Microsoft is selling, nonetheless Microsoft Defender (and its ATP version) is a core product in that strategy and it is a crucial part of its growing success.

Microsoft for two years in a row is a leader in 5 categories in Gartner Magic Quadrant, no other vendor has near its scale and execution capabilities in the enterprise/business sector and it has more than 50 % of the consumer market share.

So how Microsoft is not putting pressure in its competitors? Big vendors like ESET, McAfee, Kaspersky, Norton, Bitdefender, AVG/Avast, Trend Micro has capabilities to remain lucrative in a continuous competitive market, but this isnt true for smaller and niche players.

Microsoft-Leader-in-5-Gartner-Magic-Quadrants-Endpoint-Protection-e1575556394510-ohq5m9ep32jvs7yoaqlkq71gqq6tmy2tlnv2e7xvn4.png

Source:
Yes it needs to, you comparing AV Suites to an entire Cyber Security Division.

Adding insult to injury you claim Microsoft holds 50% of the consumer market, I'll leave you this quote,

Market Share reports exclude Windows Defender data outright, as the product is installed by default on almost all modern Windows systems.

So it is not fully representative of the entire anti-malware market.

Most AV companies haven't registered any loses that aren't tied to COVID (even then the balances weren't negative). I would avoid mixing consumer and enterprise markets, which are entirely different.

F

ForgottenSeer 89360

Even if Microsoft really does steal the show, this doesn't affect the existence of other vendors. They have marketing departments that chase incentives and it's not like they can't do anything. Most of them have been around since the past century and have survived a lot more than Covid and someone outperforming their sales team.
Adidas and Nike also hold a huge piece of the pie on clothing, but Under Armour and other local brands haven't disappeared, have they?
The acquisition of Bullguard is more tied to a personal gain and Covid loss, amongst other factors. They are a London-based company and we are very severely affected.
Mergers have happened way before MS Defender was even a thing and biggest mergers in all industries usually happen when there is a recession. This is the reason for Whirlpool and Electrolux for example to hold 50% of the market share today, because they have acquired tens of brands when they have been unstable financially.

This is my last message on this subject.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
I guess you guys have to pull me back to discuss Microsoft again haha.

According to Ganacharya, these investments in machine learning and cloud-based security, plus improvements to its client-side software, have helped drive the share enjoyed by Windows Defender, now known officially known as Microsoft Defender, to over half the Windows ecosystem.

"Windows Defender already has more than a 50% share in the Windows ecosystem. So that's more than half a billion machines that are running Windows Defender in an ACTIVE MODE as the primary antivirus. And it has grown pretty significantly and is among the best now."

Despite improvements to its own security products, the sheer size of Windows Defender's market share now threatens to make its machine-learning models a greater target.

"Windows Defender is protecting more than 50% of the Windows ecosystem, so we're a big target, and everyone wants to evade us to get the maximum number of victims," said Ganacharya.

Ps: Not only installed in half a billion machines, but actually used in an Active Mode as the primary antivirus.

Ps 2: I am not claiming anything about this statistic, Microsoft is.

Source:

My last message about this stuff too, but the logical conclusion is that if a "new" player like Microsoft has now more than half the Windows ecosystem market share it means that some of that was taken from other vendors, specially considering that its growth wasnt via acquisitions or mergers.

So what happens to other vendors if Microsoft gets 80 ~ 90 % of the consumer market share? (yeah, I know it is much more complicated than that, still the impact of the Microsoft in this market isnt something that anyone can ignore).

Last edited:

amico81

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 10, 2017
Can anybody please check the current version of bullguard?
their last changelog is old...that's curious for me.
i wanted to ask in the official support forum, but no chance to start a new topic..
i hope norton won't bury this company....

1633546614501.png

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.