Battle Comodo Firewall with : CAV , Avast Free or Avira Free?

Status
Not open for further replies.

win7holic

Thread author
Apr 20, 2011
comdo IS, avast, or avira?
hmm..
1. COMODO IS with firewall too..
2. avast combine with comodo firewall
or,
3. avira with comodo firewall
what you choose ?
:p
tell about your reasons?

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
thewolfsmith72 said:
the one and only problem I had with comodo was, it is either on, or uninstalled. There is no inbetween.

You can disable every module in CIS.

Were you perhaps just exiting the GUI thinking that was disabling CIS? That is a common misconception.

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011
CIS protects system files from anything that will try to gain access to them and or alter them, as in the case with the initial IE9 download, where half way through the install, it will ask the user if they want it to turn off some running processes such as widows defender,ect to install. cis blocked this from happening.

1. Shouldn't the IE9 installer be automatically trusted since it is digitally signed by Microsoft?
2. Windows Defender is a waste of your computer resources at this time.

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
thewolfsmith72 said:
I disabled the modules, but even at, it will still protect the system files from being altered. The IE9 download was the only download I had this type of problem with, where i had to uninstall cis in order to install a program. IE9 was still new, and being part of the OS, would alter some of the system files.

Sounds pretty weird.

I'm thinking you didn't actually disable them. When they are disabled, there is no monitoring. How did you go about disabling them?

And did you by chance delete M$ from the trusted vendor list? A file from M$ would be trusted by default in CIS.

thewolfsmith72 said:
I have had other problems of files being sandboxed during dowloads of software, crippling the download, but after waiting for the verdict, was able to re-download and would take.

Again, weird.

CIS will be doing no scanning while a file is being downloaded.

Can you give me the URL of these files?

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
I think it's best to you CIS; no firewall/AV + other firewall/AV aren't fully compatible. It was sometime I tried Avast with CF but if you have chose another AV than CAV than go for Avast. as mentioned disable avast's or comodo's sandbox and d+/BB. I personally think that comodo uses the sandbox the right way ( I am not saying Avast uses it the wrong way).

Welcome back Dieselman btw

Regards,
Valentin N

Dieselman

Level 1
Mar 26, 2011
If your on Windows 7 or Vista you do not need a 3rd party firewall anyways. A good router with NAT and Windows Firewall is good enough. XP users are in more need of a 3rd party firewall.

win7holic

Thread author
Apr 20, 2011
Dieselman said:
If your on Windows 7 or Vista you do not need a 3rd party firewall anyways. A good router with NAT and Windows Firewall is good enough. XP users are in more need of a 3rd party firewall.

but, i use USB modem ,diesel and how? so, i need other firewall for windows 7

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
That said Windows Firewall isn't easy to configure without an third-party program.

win7holic

Thread author
Apr 20, 2011
Dieselman said:
Does your modem have a hardware firewall? Windows 7 Firewall has inbound and outbound filtering.

there is no hardware firewall in my modem
i know about win7 firewall :)

stormgtr said:
That said Windows Firewall isn't easy to configure without an third-party program.

rather confuse to setting windows firewall

Dieselman

Level 1
Mar 26, 2011
No it is not. Windows 7 Firewall is very easy to setup if you follow the guide. If you can understand the complexity of Comodo's pop ups then you sure can follow a step by step guide. I did as well as several hundreds of other people.

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?s=fc56b69ba50a130bffd075956e8b34fb&t=239750

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.