Comodo Internet Security 2020 v12.2.2.8012 Released

Chuck57

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Oct 22, 2018
No 1 in there right mind cares about the AV part of comodo but with the firewall it's a different story, configured well you will have solid protection, they will have few MT members that goes to far when it comes to comodo firewall expecting perfection then run into trouble, just keep it simple and protection will be solid, examples(hxxps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoIu3Z2ImO8) or (hxxps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vktNQCwB2UY)
Simple configuration is best when it comes to Comodo. I clean installed this one yesterday and set it up, as always, as CS recommends. Running smooth and a seems a bit lighter on this laptop than the last version.

ErzCrz

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 19, 2019
The AV isn't it's strong point, containment is where the power is. Comodo did put out a couple of statistics pages last year that gets updated weekly ( Comodo Transparency Page - Historical Statistics & Comodo Cybersecurity | Detection).

CS's setting variations are great and I use most of her suggestions. I'm just a creature of habit and use CIS as a whole but CF paired with any AV is good. I think you have to install Kaspersky first if your using it with CF.

Chuck57

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Oct 22, 2018
I've run CF off and on almost since they began offering it and used CruelSister's settings since I found her video several years ago. For AV, I've used WiseVector since they first appeared on Wilder's. Between the two, I don't think anything else is necessary.

Terry Ganzi

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2014
I think you have to install Kaspersky first if your using it with CF.
NO you don't but it's probably better if your new to it. Kaspersky say when comodo is on first that it's not compatible an ask if to remove it (comodo) say
no and continue with the installation, when installation is completed, make exclusions for kaspersky in comodo auto containment area before restart then after restart make exclusions in kaspersky for comodo simple.

Back3

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 14, 2019
I had Comodo firewall installed on my PC for nearly 2 years at CS settings. But with Windows 20H2, my system froze regularly. So I uninstalled Comodo and my PC got back to a very stable condition. Yesterday, I set up my computer with the latest version of Comodo and Microsoft Defender. So far so good. One week will be a good test.
Question: can we use WiseVector Stop-X with Comodo and Microsoft Defender ? Is it better to disable MD?

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
I had Comodo firewall installed on my PC for nearly 2 years at CS settings. But with Windows 20H2, my system froze regularly. So I uninstalled Comodo and my PC got back to a very stable condition. Yesterday, I set up my computer with the latest version of Comodo and Microsoft Defender. So far so good. One week will be a good test.
Question: can we use WiseVector Stop-X with Comodo and Microsoft Defender ? Is it better to disable MD?
Microsoft Defender + WiseVector + Comodo FW is overkill. I'd recommend Comodo Firewall + WiseVector and disable MD. I think thats the setup Cruelsister recommends too.

Terry Ganzi

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2014
[/QUOTE]
Yes you can use WX with MD and Comodo, Just make sure you exclude stuff and it's not over kill reason bein is that on the Av front WX don't detect various old samples but MD do detect far more old samples than WX plus WX doesn't have surf protection but MD has. The word over kill gets thrown around loosely for certain products or certain people, scope this if you take a close look at some members here who promote security some has sandboxie ublock origin or adguard plus shadow defender plus firewall or firewall control plus Os-amour plus an AV now please tell me what is that? And they final comments is that it is running so smoothly. The best advice I can give you is know your products and don't watch no face do you. Md,WX and comodo is layered security yes comodo
can stop nearly 99.9% of stuff but WX as a buffer zone totally sweet.
Best wishes champ

Last edited:

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
Yes you can use WX with MD and Comodo, Just make sure you exclude stuff and it's not over kill reason bein is that on the Av front WX don't detect various old samples but MD do detect far more old samples than WX plus WX doesn't have surf protection but MD has. The word over kill gets thrown around loosely for certain products or certain people, scope this if you take a close look at some members here who promote security some has sandboxie ublock origin or adguard plus shadow defender plus firewall or firewall control plus Os-amour plus an AV now please tell me what is that? And they final comments is that it is running so smoothly. The best advice I can give you is know your products and don't watch no face do you. Md,WX and comodo is layered security yes comodo
can stop nearly 99.9% of stuff but WX as a buffer zone totally sweet.
Best wishes champ
Microsoft Defender has web protection, since when? After all you don't need 2 AV's running in real time, especially when hes talking about WiseVector that can easily run as a standalone software. It's still overkill and I'm not throwing the word around loosely.

Terry Ganzi

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2014
What is this

Attachments

• 1.PNG
    1.PNG
    12.4 KB · Views: 471
Reactions: Nevi and Venustus

Terry Ganzi

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2014
Microsoft Defender has web protection, since when?
All i did was to show you it has, nothing bitchy about that, but hey it's your understanding not mine, each man to his own Champ

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
Microsoft Defender has web protection, since when?
All i did was to show you it has, nothing bitchy about that, but hey it's your understanding not mine, each man to his own Champ
The "What is this" indicated that, sorry if I misunderstood. I agree that layered protection can be useful sometimes but this setup just wouldnt be. There is a difference between a setup with OSArmor + Comodo FW + MD and a setup with WV + Comodo FW + MD. I don't see the value of using two AV's simultaniously while both perfoming the same task. OSArmor is there to harden your system in areas where the AV doesn't intervene. Running two AV's in real time never is a good idea as most of the time one of them doesn't add much value and only increases attack surface. Either MD and Comodo or WV and Comodo would be a solid combo in my opinion, but to each his own.

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
I would just install antivirus only, as it gets auto-containment + light antivirus that replaces MD

It bothers me too much ( OCD) if i install cf on cs settings + has antivirus that does not register in security centre

ErzCrz

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 19, 2019
I would just install antivirus only, as it gets auto-containment + light antivirus that replaces MD

It bothers me too much ( OCD) if i install cf on cs settings + has antivirus that does not register in security centre
There used to be an old ComodoFix setup somewhere which has you using only the AV in here but that was years ago.

Anyway, seems to be running fine still at my end.

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
Food for thought:

The guiding principles under which Comodo Firewall was developed dates back from Windows XP. For fun I installed CFW and tried some of its features. After some playing around I noticed why even a security expert like CruelSister advices in her config to disable the HIPS.

For comparison the build-in Windows HIPS (called Attack Surface Reduction rules and Windows Exploit Protection settings per program) are way less troublesome. In the past decades the Windows operating system has evolved using a different protection paradigma: ASR + WEP have an allow all, restrict specific while Comodo HIPS rules are restrict all, allow specific.

While playing with CFW (yesterday afternoon) I soon gave up tweaking myself and simply used CS config. That soon made me realize that security at this level is better left to the professionals. So choosing between Comodo FW and my old setup is choosing between 1 expert (CruelSister) versus the knowledge the Kaspersky team put in to System watcher.

The idea that 1 expert (CuelSister) is able to develop a better base line protection than all developers at Comodo made me decide to put my trust into the Kaspersky team. So I went back to the combo Kaspersky Cloud Free + Neushield Data sentinel Free+ HardConfigurator (recommended) + some additional Windows Exploit Protection (e.g. deny SyncbackFree to launch other programs, allow only Microsoft signed in Edge).

This Comodo journey definitely had a surprising experience for me. I learned to know my father a bit better. I remembered the avitar of CruelSister as one of my fathers LP albums, so I asked him (yesterday evening) whether he recognized the picture.

After a confusing moment (for me) because my father answered "yes I was in love with her". When he noticed my confusion, he said "no worries Len, half of my male age peers would love an evening out with her". Next he ran to attic and came back with an allbum of Blondie and an old LongPlayer device.

After half an hour my mother asked whether we could go to the study room because her favourite TV-series started (old folks still watch broadcast :). I learned my father how to stream music and under the joy of a few beers I learned about my father's favourite music: Blondie, Ramones, Talking Heads, Mink Deville, The Cure, Iggy Pop, Velvet Underground (I even recognised @oldschool old avitar Frank Zappa) and Prince & David Bowie (which I both knew)

So thanks a lot @cruelsister for this father-son experence (y)(y)(y)

Last edited:

Back3

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 14, 2019
How I see it:Comodo Firewall is a piece of software made by geeks for geeks. With HIPS and all recommended settings, it's annoying and very chatty. At Cs settings, Comodo Firewall maintain essential protection but becomes easy to live with. I reinstalled CF 3 days ago. The First thing I did was to import a backup of my settings that I've been using for the last 2 years. After 3 days, not a single notification or prompt from CF. Most of the time, I get a prompt every week or so.
When you install CF with CS settings for the first time, it takes a few days to train it properly, but after that, you forget it.
Kaspersky Cloud Free is a piece of software made by geeks for average people. Comodo could also go this way, but it chose not to.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.