Advice Request Comodo Internet Security Setup/configuration thread

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Does this thread helped/informed you?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
Online Armor ... believe it or not, I never used ... must have been geek tool... user's really complained when it was discontinued.

Malware Defender, Online Armor, Comodo = all advanced HIPS = all same = Mind Freak...

And yet you @hjlbx and @Umbra loved to be freaked by them very much huh... :D That's a big salute. ;)

I

illumination

Thread author
Online Armor ... believe it or not, I never used ... must have been geek tool... user's really complained when it was discontinued.

Malware Defender, Online Armor, Comodo = all advanced HIPS = all same = Mind Freak...
Online Armor, now there was a powerful firewall with the ability to crash your system before you even finished installing it ;) :D

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
added:
- some folders of ProgramData into Protected Files
- some registry keys into Protected registry keys

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Online Armor, now there was a powerful firewall with the ability to crash your system before you even finished installing it ;) :D
I loved OA on Windows 7 but it had problems on 8/8.1.I liked it when it was part of the Internet Security Pack but could be used as a standalone firewall also.It didn't place nice with everything though

Reactions: illumination

Moose

Level 22
Jun 14, 2011
@Umbra,

Did you ever get the sandbox to work with Sandboxie? Not the sandbox within Comodo Firewall?
And do you think is stronger/better than Comodo? Or as light? With the correct configurations?

Open to everyone below:

Anybody have a clue, if Comodo Version # 9 is ready for prime time?

And is everybody using cruelsister configurations for Comodo? In Version # 9?

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
@Umbra,

Did you ever get the sandbox to work with Sandboxie? Not the sandbox within Comodo Firewall?
And do you think is stronger/better than Comodo? Or as light? With the correct configurations?

sorry, i dont get what you means. If you ask if both Comodo works well with sandboxie, i will say yes with some tweaks needed.

Open to everyone below:

Anybody have a clue, if Comodo Version # 9 is ready for prime time?

And is everybody using cruelsister configurations for Comodo? In Version # 9?

i will not bother touch it until it reaches, beta stage at least.

Moose

Level 22
Jun 14, 2011

@Umbra,

I am talking about two different security software working together? Not the sandbox
with Comodo Firewall?
Sandboxie - Sandbox software for application isolation and secure Web browsing
Comodo Free Firewall | Firewall Protection Software for PC

Normally, Sandboxie did not work well or did not work with Comodo Firewall/Sandbox?
How did you get Sandboxie to work with Comodo Firewall? And where the tweaks
needed to get them to work?

Kind regards,

@Umbra,

sorry, i dont get what you means. If you ask if both Comodo works well with sandboxie, i will say yes with some tweaks needed.

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
Good work from both of you and waiting to see a finished setup so i can try it. How does comodo do with surfright anti exploit test? Or comodo doesn't protect from exploits? Thanks for your input.
Downloads - SurfRight

Reactions: Der.Reisende
H

hjlbx

Thread author
Good work from both of you and waiting to see a finished setup so i can try it. How does comodo do with surfright anti exploit test? Or comodo doesn't protect from exploits? Thanks for your input.
Downloads - SurfRight

I tested. My findings...

Inside Virtual Desktop - no blocks - but everything is gone once reset Virtual Desktop

Inside Sandbox - Run Virtually with no Restirctions - no blocks - but everything is gone once reset Sandbox

Inside Sandbox - Run Virtually with Limited Restriction - all blocked

Outside Sandbox - no blocks

NOTE: All fail keylogger and webcam tests.

However, Virtual Desktop protects if keylogger is installed on system since keylogger cannot reach inside virtual desktop.

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
Thanks for the test hjibx. Very interesting findings. Seems like comodo can help me get rid of lots of applications i have to use.

Reactions: Der.Reisende
H

hjlbx

Thread author
In Comodo you can block the unrestricted execution of processes that are vulnerable to abuse.

Excubits partially covers the topic here: Newsblog | Excubits

The user will need to "black-list" NET Framework executables every time Microsoft decides to upgrade NET Framework to a newer version via Windows Updates and\or if the user upgrades the Windows OS.

In Comodo, "black-list" = set file rating to Unrecognized.

In Comodo, "restrict access permissions" = add files\folders to HIPS Protected Files.

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
I installed comodo and getting this. Any idea how to add an allow rule to avoid it?
buBvuQV.png

EDIT: Never mind i figured it out as soon as i posted.

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
Correct, didn't think of that. You go in hips rules, you right click comodo internet security group, select settings, you go at protection settings and change the interprocess memory access exclusion and add setpoint.exe

EDIT:
@hjlbx @Umbra
Can someone help me understand trusted files because i am not sure how things work. I know that trusted vendors and trusted apps have their files as trusted. What i don't understand is that i run an application and it automatically gets added in trusted list and some other apps don't. Am i correct in saying that comodo has a safe file list that i can't edit and it allows those files or i am missing a setting to ask me what to do?
Hope i am clear but if not ask me so i can try and clarify.

What i want to achieve is anything not a trusted vendor or in hips list to be unrecognized until i change it.

EDIT2: So to achieve that i figured out you need to disable cloud lookup. Now my question is is the cloud lookup a list made by comodo or depends if users click allow or not and then if a certain percentage is yes it's marked as allowed?
I assume it's the first so enabling it it's good but just want a confirmation if they allow all future updates of the program or it's based on hash.

Last edited:
H

hjlbx

Thread author
I installed comodo and getting this. Any idea how to add an allow rule to avoid it?
buBvuQV.png

EDIT: Never mind i figured it out as soon as i posted.

@SHvFl you get the above while sandboxed, using virtual desktop or unsandboxed (standard) use ?

I am curious. I should have asked.

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
Referring to the question whether sandboxie works well with Comodo Sandbox; I would also like to know. Currently all my browser is ssandboxed by Comodo everytime I want to open it. But if I install Sandboxie and configure it force sandbox on my browser, wouldn't that conflict? Wondered if it happens which sandbox goes in first? Just a thought, since I want to try sandboxie too possibly next yr.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.