Advice Request Comodo Internet Security Setup/configuration thread

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Does this thread helped/informed you?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
Hi @Umbra ,

"Auto-Sandbox:
Enable Auto-Sandbox: Yes
Enable File Source Tracking: Yes
Rules:
Added "Ignore My security Softs" rule.
Added "Portable Browsers" rule (Run Virtually > Limited)
Edited "Run virtually" rule to "untrusted".
"

Wanted to know
1) Why do you change the portable browsers rule from run virtually to limited.
2) Wouldn't the last sentence contradict? Since you changed from run virtually to untrusted but instead you changed to limited (for the portable browser)?
3) How do you add those rules for portable browsers from USB? :confused:

H

hjlbx

Thread author
Hi @Umbra ,

"Auto-Sandbox:
Rules:
"

Wanted to know
2) Wouldn't the last sentence contradict? Since you changed from run virtually to untrusted but instead you changed to limited (for the portable browser)?

Comodo virtualizes file system, registry, operating system files, etc in virtual container (sandbox\virtual desktop). Comodo sandbox does not work like Shadow Defender - that virtualizes almost entire disk. I think Comodo virtualizes OS applications as they are called in the run sequence - but that is just a hunch. Precise technical infos on the subject are scant.

Run Virtually = application is allowed access to all virtualized operating system resources.

Run Restricted = denies access to application to virtualized operating system files; extent of denied access dependent upon restriction level = Partially Limited, Limited, Restricted, and Untrusted. The restrictions are well explained in User's Manual (help.comodo.com).

If you apply too high a restriction, application might not work; for example, IE 11 will not function at restriction greater than Limited (= as Restricted, Untrusted).

Reactions: Deleted member 178
D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
Hi @Umbra ,

"Auto-Sandbox:
Rules:
"

Wanted to know

1- portable browser cant run properly on level above Limited
2- No because above point.
3- never tried but i will.

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
Comodo virtualizes file system, registry, operating system files, etc in virtual container (sandbox\virtual desktop). Comodo sandbox does not work like Shadow Defender - that virtualizes almost entire disk. I think Comodo virtualizes OS applications as they are called in the run sequence - but that is just a hunch. Precise technical infos on the subject are scant.

Run Virtually = application is allowed access to all virtualized operating system resources.

Run Restricted = denies access to application to virtualized operating system files; extent of denied access dependent upon restriction level = Partially Limited, Limited, Restricted, and Untrusted. The restrictions are well explained in User's Manual (help.comodo.com).

If you apply too high a restriction, application might not work; for example, IE 11 will not function at restriction greater than Limited (= as Restricted, Untrusted).

Wow that's a whole load of geek level for me as a life science student. :confused:
Will try to digest them slowly. Thanks @hjlbx

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
Yes "diggest it slowly" is the right attitude with CIS, we were on CIS for years so we went through lot of love, stress, hate, abandon, re-love, despair, re-hate, etc...

:D

Reactions: Tiny and XhenEd

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
Yes "diggest it slowly" is the right attitude with CIS, we were on CIS for years so we went through lot of love, stress, hate, abandon, re-love, despair, re-hate, etc...

Haha, thanks for encouragement @Umbra
Another curious question:
You mentioned portable browser couldn't run properly above limited, does this also applies to normal browser (those install into system)? Why is it then? I mean if they all run in virtual (as in sandboxed I supposed) wouldn't that be safer than in run limited? Sorry, might sound noobish but for sake of learning I dun mind being called noob :D

H

hjlbx

Thread author
You mentioned portable browser couldn't run properly above limited, does this also applies to normal browser (those install into system)? Why is it then? I mean if they all run in virtual (as in sandboxed I supposed) wouldn't that be safer than in run limited? Sorry, might sound noobish but for sake of learning I dun mind being called noob :D

Run Virtual protects physical system.

Run Restricted is an additional layer that protects file access to Operating System resources.

So with Comodo you can run an application is sandbox (Run Virtually) + limit access to operating system resources\process creation (Run Restricted).

Makings double protections... :D

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
Running web browsers higher than limited stops copy and paste, but Firefox did everything else on restricted - untrusted it failed to load.

H

hjlbx

Thread author
Running web browsers higher than limited stops copy and paste, but Firefox did everything else on restricted - untrusted it failed to load.

No copy & paste for me IE 11 Run Virtually - Limited...

I

illumination

Thread author

And will again... :D Just finished reinstalling it, and already was cussing at the mismatching file verdicts still available :rolleyes: I have the beast tamed now though, took a minute.

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
You mentioned portable browser couldn't run properly above limited, does this also applies to normal browser (those install into system)?

Don't mix installed softs and portable ones,nor virtualized and not virtualized; installed softs are mostly trusted so they would run normally in certain level (depending the softs).

Why is it then? I mean if they all run in virtual (as in sandboxed I supposed) wouldn't that be safer than in run limited? Sorry, might sound noobish but for sake of learning I dun mind being called noob :D

you can run Limited unvirtualized and run Limited virtualized :D not the same stuff.

And will again... :D Just finished reinstalling it, and already was cussing at the mismatching file verdicts still available :rolleyes: I have the beast tamed now though, took a minute.

Training Mode bro , Training Mode !

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
Don't mix installed softs and portable ones,nor virtualized and not virtualized; installed softs are mostly trusted so they would run normally in certain level (depending the softs).

you can run Limited unvirtualized and run Limited virtualized :D not the same stuff.

Ok, got a bit hang of it. Taking a rest now in Earth after flying from Mars.. mind-screwed after reading these... o_O Haha..

Reactions: Deleted member 178
D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
welcome in the marvelous world of comodo's tweakers, once you are in you never look back :D

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
Welcome to Comodo. :D:D:D

I wondered if there any security program (other than CIS) than can mind-screw our brain juice just like this one? :D
So far I confirm Bitdefender pity your brain hence they settle it themselves without disturbing you... :rolleyes:

H

hjlbx

Thread author
I wondered if there any security program (other than CIS) than can mind-screw our brain juice just like this one? :D
So far I confirm Bitdefender pity your brain hence they settle it themselves without disturbing you... :rolleyes:

Malware Defender... 32-bit only system HIPS... make you want to jump from bridge.

Reactions: Av Gurus and XhenEd
D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
You forgot old Online Armor , as strong as CIS, as mindscrewer as CIS ^^

H

hjlbx

Thread author
You forgot old Online Armor , as strong as CIS, as mindscrewer as CIS ^^

Online Armor ... believe it or not, I never used ... must have been geek tool... user's really complained when it was discontinued.

Malware Defender, Online Armor, Comodo = all advanced HIPS = all same = Mind Freak...

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.