Advice Request Comodo Internet Security Setup/configuration thread

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Does this thread helped/informed you?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
No problem with HMPA but crash instantly when install EAM. Can't even open the EAM now.

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
I add EAM processes into the CIS AV exclusions. In CIS EAM appears to be trusted file.
I add HMPA processes into the CIS AV exclusion.

I open EAM and it pops up error:
upload_2015-11-27_22-19-2.png

Update:
Problem resolved after I uninstall CIS. Guess the incompatibility issue. will try again ltr.

Update:
Re-attempt to install CF-only this time. Doesn't work at all. Problem still there. Uninstall CF, issue resolved. I guess there might be something wrong?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
if you are doing a setup similar to @hjlbx or mine without testing each step , you will face many issues, try to reinstall with default settings.

btw, Emsisoft latest version has a anti-exploit feature, so maybe an incompatibilty issue.

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
if you are doing a setup similar to @hjlbx or mine without testing each step , you will face many issues, try to reinstall with default settings.

btw, Emsisoft latest version has a anti-exploit feature, so maybe an incompatibilty issue.

I'm using default features for CIS/CF when reinstall; I even disable the Defense+,Sandbox,Virusscope - allowing only firewall. Doesnt work either. Anyway, it's okay. I'll just find substitute for my CIS. ;)

H

hjlbx

Thread author
Made changes to Protected Data Folders and included NOTE in Configuration\Settings thread.

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
Would there be any issue if I delete all the whitelisted application rule and then turn on learning mode back?
Felt that my list very messy, wish to clean it up.

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
Would there be any issue if I delete all the whitelisted application rule and then turn on learning mode back?

turn training first then delete :D

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
ummmm...everything from dozen of popups (depend which mode you are) to system freeze :D

H

hjlbx

Thread author

White-listed application rules = HIPS, Sandbox and Firewall rules ?

If so, @Umbra tells it right:

1. Switch HIPS (and Firewall) to Training Mode
2. Delete HIPS, Sandbox and\or Firewall rules

Reverse above steps and you can potentially get a tidal wave of HIPS\Sandbox alerts and\or boink your system. How CIS will behave in that case depends upon running processes at that very moment, plus is dependent upon other settings. Generally not good idea to reverse above procedure if you don't know what to expect.

NOTE: Not so important to use Firewall Training Mode unless you want to capture specific IP addresses; more convenient to just use Custom Mode and at Firewall alert select "Outgoing Only."

Reactions: Deleted member 178

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
White-listed application rules = HIPS, Sandbox and Firewall rules ?

Yes. felt previously alot of rules there stacking like nobody business. Want to clean it up and make a new one.

H

hjlbx

Thread author
Yes. felt previously alot of rules there stacking like nobody business. Want to clean it up and make a new one.

You will get lots of rules using Training Mode. It is next best thing to creating rules using Paranoid Mode. However, downside to Paranoid Mode is that it will take you 100 years to create all the rules.

TIP: Use Training Mode for a long time. The longer the better. Preferably a month. Afterwards, switch HIPS to Paranoid Mode.

Alternatively, you use Training Mode for a week, and switch to Paranoid Mode. If Paranoid Mode generates HIPS alert for Trusted application, just enable Training Mode and then select Allow in HIPS alert - in most cases it will create a generic Training Mode rule. Or you can just opt to create the specific rule via the Paranoid Mode HIPS alert (by selected "Remember my answer.").

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
in some case you must set some alerts as "treat as allowed" , some of them constantly changes.

H

hjlbx

Thread author
in some case you must set some alerts as "treat as allowed" , some of them constantly changes.

You are referring to when the target path changes randomly ?

For example, tmp_12345 then tmp_xyqwoosjf, then tmp_0uphijnon38948u98u39, then tmp_1949s, etc, etc, etc

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
no, for example some nvidia files/dll constantly change or being changed as well as "C:\Windows\System32\WerFault.exe" .

No way i allow temp files lol ^^

H

hjlbx

Thread author
no, for example some nvidia files/dll constantly change or being changed as well as "C:\Windows\System32\WerFault.exe" .

No way i allow temp files lol ^^

You mean when a file is modified (= changes when updated) ?

No allow temp folders, but allow writes to temp folders whose file path names change constantly... like mrtstub.exe => randomly named temp file every time it updates MRT.exe.

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
Is anyone able to run IE i sandbox and if you do did you change anything because for me i added it in auto sandbox but when started it crashes.

H

hjlbx

Thread author
Is anyone able to run IE i sandbox and if you do did you change anything because for me i added it in auto sandbox but when started it crashes.

I run IE 11 "forced" sandboxed. No crashes.

I did not create any special settings.

Did you remember to add both iexplore.exe for both Program Files and Program Files (x86) ?

Reactions: SHvFl

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
Added both but still crashing when launched. I don't even get to see the gui. Weird.
Btw have this issue on 2 different configurations. One with Comodo firewall and with beta comodo cloud antivirus. I am on windows 10 so it might be that. Are you on another windows version if i may ask?

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.