Battle Compliment Windows Defender: Zemana AM, NoVirusThanks or VoodooShield?

Rengar

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 6, 2017
Hey, i have Windows Defender and im looking for a second layer of protection.

1) Zemana AM
2) NoVirusThanks EXE Radar Pro
3) VoodooShield FREE

Whats the best vs zero day malware, i mean, can ZAM protect me from true zero day malware or VoodooShield FREE is better or NoVirusThanks EXE?

sudo -i

Level 4
Verified
Jan 17, 2017
its better to have it in Autopilot vs a zero day malware ?
If you prefer the program being automated, yes. If you prefer notifications for everything going on, keep it on Smart Mode.

@J Gamez065 Install Mode and exceptions are your friend. There are ways around Steam updates while still staying as secure as you would be with VS installed.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
its better to have it on Autopilot vs a zero day malware ?
the problem with VoodooAi is it has false positives. It can mark legit apps as unsafe which may reduce its reliability. If you get VT=0 and Ai=unsafe, what should you do? I have to upload it to cuckoo sandbox because I don't 100% trust VoodooAi, that may be a legit app, who knows

for me, Autopilot is safer but for other people and in theory, Always on mode is safer. If you are a default-deny person, Always on is better for you. If you hate having so many popups, like me, Autopilot is better for you. Why autopilot? because when I get tons of popups, I get annoyed and will allow without reading

enaph

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 14, 2011
The biggest problem here is that we are comparing 3 products with different approaches - cloud based AM, anti-exe and "next gen" Ai supported whitelisting app and each one of them is a winner in its category.

the problem with VoodooAi is it has false positives. It can mark legit apps as unsafe which may reduce its reliability. If you get VT=0 and Ai=unsafe, what should you do? I have to upload it to cuckoo sandbox because I don't 100% trust VoodooAi, that may be a legit app, who knows
That's why Dan calls it Ai and not AI :D:p

sudo -i

Level 4
Verified
Jan 17, 2017
Probably VoodooShield, but I'm not understanding the comparison. Neither of these three actually perform the same functions. NVTERP and VS are only slightly similar in their anti-executable function.
The biggest problem here is that we are comparing 3 products with different approaches - cloud based AM, anti-exe and "next gen" Ai supported whitelisting app and each one of them is a winner in its category.
Pretty much this. I personally don't find an issue with running all 3 of these, considering there are free versions for all 3. I'm personally running VS and NVTERP simultaneously, and use ZAM portable.

Davidov

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Sep 9, 2012
The best zero day protection is novirustnx or AppGuard. I do not know what you allow it but only for experienced users. :) We're pulling Preci softwer known only from the server. we test against VirusTotal and against the hybrid alalize. What is then the probability of infection ??? 0.001%. Gout Densi antivirus can not rely 30 percent of malware passes visions malwarehub .-))

The new version is novirutnx do up this man (Andrew) really knows what makes .-))

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
The best zero day protection is novirustnx or AppGuard. I do not know what you allow it but only for experienced users. :) We're pulling Preci softwer known only from the server. we test against VirusTotal and against the hybrid alalize. What is then the probability of infection ??? 0.001%. Gout Densi antivirus can not rely 30 percent of malware passes visions malwarehub .-))
I have no chance to test appguard and I have no idea how it works except I know it's an anti-exe !?
How is it different from voodooshield in always on mode?

sudo -i

Level 4
Verified
Jan 17, 2017
I have no chance to test appguard and I have no idea how it works except I know it's an anti-exe !?
Be prepared for a fairly technical answer from an AG user. The take-away will probably be "they're almost the same".
AG is a brick wall where nothing gets through unless you add it to User Space/Guarded Apps.
VS is a brick wall with a locked door. You can unlock and open this door for an exe by hitting "Allow" on the VS notification.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
When im opening an app will it open more slowly with VS cause it will scan it compared without VS?
I don't really understand the question but I try to answer
yes, the will open more slowly, slight delay but only in the first time you open it. When you allow/whitelist it, VS will never scans it again unless there is something new and malicious => opens instantly without delay
VS has to analyze the file and upload it to VT but this usually takes less than 5 seconds. The next time you open the app, it will be 0 second

Davidov

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Sep 9, 2012
It works similarly but has a lot of rules (which protects the process) and is actively developed by large corporations. It seems to me as the most anti-exe. A few tweaks and it would be best. voodooshield is good but still a little young Phil a lot and then decide if it's good or not? Every time there is a doubt it is really good software only or fake? Finally, we have the same user to decide according to their experience. Learn, learn and learn .-))

Rengar

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 6, 2017
I don't really understand the question but I try to answer
yes, the will open more slowly, slight delay but only in the first time you open it. When you allow/whitelist it, VS will never scans it again unless there is something new and malicious => opens instantly without delay
VS has to analyze the file and upload it to VT but this usually takes less than 5 seconds. The next time you open the app, it will be 0 second
Im installing it. Should i put it in Auto? I dont want pop up all the time cause im a gamer

Reactions: Der.Reisende

Davidov

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Sep 9, 2012
put it to autopilot mode. run your games and allow them to run if there are popups, very few

Malware here was on the whitelist, Comodo Comodo and combo + voodooshield probably allowed Conflict and harmlessly went through the same malware free version. Despite the full version and forbidden thread would not pass. :) nothing is not foolproof and layered defense is more likely to cause conflicts. )

Reactions: Der.Reisende

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.