Cylance Articles & thoughts

Burrito

Level 24
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
I guess I might get a little vitriolic here but it's sort of twinged my lesser nature that a company that's gotten a 27% protection accuracy rating on the SE Labs endpoint test is going to start throwing out accusations that another company isn't going to cover ALL types of malware and threats. I guess if you have it listed as a feature somewhere in the settings that a product detects scripts, exploits, word documents, loaded pdf files, it doesn't actually matter that you demonstrate that your product can do so effectively. It just matters that it's there, listed somewhere in the feature set so that any tom, dick, and harry can go to your website and proclaim that you cover those areas better than another product. 27 percent is so abysmal that I'd be willing to bet money that you could pull someone at random off the street and have them get a higher score than the malwarebytes product, and I think they should be held up as the poster child for bloated and useless anti-malware features.

Laughing.... yeah, it is kind of ridiculous to reference anybody not covering everything when you cover 27%. :)

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
guess I might get a little vitriolic here but it's sort of twinged my lesser nature that a company that's gotten a 27% protection accuracy rating on the SE Labs endpoint test is going to start throwing out accusations that another company isn't going to cover ALL types of malware and threats.

Yes, MB hasn't done anything to boast about. They should just keep quiet and be happy that so many websites recommend their product. Everybody and their brother uses MBAM free, but their Premium version? Never on this machine! I wouldn't use it even if I still ran W7.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Well I've installed it, but how do I login to the dashboard? I've no password and can't see a option to create one.

It looks like Blackberry changed the website significantly from when I used it. And it's ugly and annoying now. So annoying, I wouldn't use it. They kept the old Cylance dashboard login page, which is what the rest of the site used to look like.

It looks like you purchase, and they walk you through the process. That's my guess.

Last edited:

Burrito

Level 24
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
Well I've installed it, but how do I login to the dashboard? I've no password and can't see a option to create one.

Hmmmm.... I dunno. I've never been on that side of it.

I need to send an invitation to myself so I can see what you are seeing..

I've given away half a dozen of these things... and I've heard that several times. But then people seem to make it work somehow.

If you click "My Dashboard" --- can't you then register for portal access?

Possibly @Nightwalker can assist.

artek

Level 5
Verified
May 23, 2014
Where did you get your invites from?

The way it worked for me when I bought it from their store was that I had to make an account first, then download it from the dashboard.

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
Hmmmm.... I dunno. I've never been on that side of it.

I need to send an invitation to myself so I can see what you are seeing..

I've given away half a dozen of these things... and I've heard that several times. But then people seem to make it work somehow.

If you click "My Dashboard" --- can't you then register for portal access?

Possibly @Nightwalker can assist.

There is no way to access the Dashboard or login at all if you are using Cylance by invitation, only the "owner" can manage the machines.

Thats the reason that I stopped using Cylance, there is no control if you arent the "owner of the invite", so the false positives got on my nerves.

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
To purchase the 1 device gives discount (as shown) the 10 device does also but the 5 device (one I wanted) which should be $39 ends up as £59 UK pounds or $69 in US dollar ($11:50 tax) - It looks like the payment site is broken. It’s cheaper to go for the 10 device than the 5 all of which should be discounted - I read the T&C's & frankly I don’t like what I see this added to the auto renew which is somewhat ambiguous as to cancellations, I don’t like auto-renew anyway as I’ve been caught out badly in the past with this, although usually with PayPal it can be stopped - I'll mail them and ask for more info I think.

Attachments

• CY.jpg
    CY.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 268
  • CY 1.jpg
    CY 1.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 310
Last edited:

Burrito

Level 24
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
There is no way to access the Dashboard or login at all if you are using Cylance by invitation, only the "owner" can manage the machines.

Thats the reason that I stopped using Cylance, there is no control if you arent the "owner of the invite", so the false positives got on my nerves.

Thanks for that info.

And wow, that is unfortunate.

That is a big limitation for purchasing multi-license plans.

In fact.... that's a big enough limitation for me... if they don't continue to comp my plan, I don't think I'll buy (which I was leaning toward).

I'll inquire with customer service about it...

Last edited:

Burrito

Level 24
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
Where did you get your invites from?

Based on my employer, Cylance comped me 10-licenses. So I've offered invitations.

I do see in the portal that 4 people I sent licenses are still running Cylance, and two have abandoned it.

Now that I fully understand the limitations of it.... I'll stop offering them.

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
Based on my employer, Cylance comped me 10-licenses. So I've offered invitations.

I do see in the portal that 4 people I sent licenses are still running Cylance, and two have abandoned it.

Now that I fully understand the limitations of it.... I'll stop offering them.

Only you can manage the machines (whitelist/pause protection/restore files from quarantine), the users cant do anything because there is only one Dashboard ("owner").

IMO each license should have a separated Dashboard or at least the option to have one (akin to managed x unmanaged).

Burrito

Level 24
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
Only you can manage the machines (whitelist/pause protection/restore files from quarantine), the users cant do anything because there is only one Dashboard ("owner").

IMO each license should have a separated Dashboard or at least the option to have one (akin to managed x unmanaged).

Yeah, absolutely.

I farm out multiple licenses of multiple products... and they all have the ability to be self-managed.

Cylance is still relatively new.... this is a growing pain I'd guess.

But they need to work this out.

Really good machine learning algorithm capability... but poor implementation of a multi-license product.

bribon77

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017

I think he's focused on business.:giggle:

I asked in the offices of Banks and Post out of curiosity, what security system has and the answer has always been ... is managed from headquarters Central.:giggle:

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.