Nightwalker

Level 23
Verified
Helper
Top poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
BlackBerry selling lifetime subscriptions of Cylance Smart Antivirus says much about how the market is caring about this product nowadays, hint: nobody cares.

It is one of the worst security products that I have ever used, it is almost funny that BlackBerry spent $1.4 Billion with Cylance acquisition while Avira was sold for less than $ 200 Millions.

Mikesierra

Level 2
Feb 26, 2018
I tried Cylance, but the first 3 samples I downloaded (weren't even handpicked to be evasive) were missed. I didn't even continue the test. Also, it's light, but the difference from traditional AVs is not marginal. I can't recommend it.
May I ask what kind of samples you have used? Binaries or scripts (PS, VBS, JS etc.)? I am familiar with CylancePROTECT for Enterprises and although it has its weak points is still very good when it comes to detection of malicious binaries. Honestly, I can´t imagine that Cylance Smart AV is using a different ML engine or other datasets than CP. Maybe Cylance Smart AV is only utilizing the local ML engine while CP has access to a more powerful cloud based ML engine when the local score isn´t sufficient enough to come to a clear verdict.

F

ForgottenSeer 89360

May I ask what kind of samples you have used? Binaries or scripts (PS, VBS, JS etc.)? I am familiar with CylancePROTECT for Enterprises and although it has its weak points is still very good when it comes to detection of malicious binaries. Honestly, I can´t imagine that Cylance Smart AV is using a different ML engine or other datasets than CP. Maybe Cylance Smart AV is only utilizing the local ML engine while CP has access to a more powerful cloud based ML engine when the local score isn´t sufficient enough to come to a clear verdict.
I used maldocs with loader, dropper and injector. It didn’t block neither the primary, nor the secondary payload. I tested this vector as it’s most commonly transmitted and has the most effective social engineering. Users are more likely to open a Covid document, than a “Bitcoin Hack: 1 free Bitcoin Daily”.

dabluez98

Level 3
Thread author
Oct 2, 2018
Also their privacy laws seem to be bad..
Both cylance and their lover blackberry have a tendency to want to share data if it is To ctach bad people

Cleo

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
May 25, 2020
Use promo code: HOLIDAY40
and you can get it for $48.
As a cloud engine there aren't going to be many updates for the endpoints so not seeing them isn't much sign of anything.
I tried it out. It wasn't that bad. They test it running in tandem with McAfee, Norton and Kaspersky. I ran it alongside the latter and
never saw a conflict in 6 months. I found their iOS app much more useful as it detected a MITM attack when I was on a public wifi
at my local supermarket. As is the case for many tech companies there was always going to be a chance those young hungry coders
they had chained to their keyboards would take their stock options, retire, and go rock climbing after BB dropped that cash bomb. Maybe a few did.

Cleo

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
May 25, 2020